GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 10:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: cheaper cameras  (Read 1613 times)
Stuart99
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: November 22, 2011, 06:18 PM »

You guys seem to know your stuff when it comes to photography. I am thinking about getting my wife a camera for Christmas. What would you guys recommend for a point-and-shoot for under $200? I usually have terrible luck selecting electronics, so I am going to leave it to the professionals, hehe.

Thanks guys,
Stuart
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 08:29 PM »

Canon Powershot series either the 300 ELPH or A3300  IF those are a bit much then the A2200 and 100 ELPH.  Great cams for the price.  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Brand_Canon&ci=8612&N=4288586279+4291570227
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 08:47 PM »

Imaging-Resource has a constantly updated section called:

Dave's Picks.

If you choose the heading of budget, here are the choices currently recommended:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM?view=dp_cheap

The A3300 suggested above is on the list.  Smiley

If you click on any of the blue headings, you will be shifted to a review of that camera. Great starting point for any digital camera search.

Sadly, none of the choices have an optical viewfinder. This option is getting harder and harder to find as the companies can make a smaller, cheaper and cleaner looking camera by leaving out the viewfinder. In daylight, taking pictures is much more difficult without one.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 08:53 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 10:34 PM »

Sadly, none of the choices have an optical viewfinder. This option is getting harder and harder to find as the companies can make a smaller, cheaper and cleaner looking camera by leaving out the viewfinder. In daylight, taking pictures is much more difficult without one.

Agree with John on this point, I have a few of Canon PowerShot SD1000 - SD1200IS cameras, the 1200 is the last one to have the viewfinder. I find it near impossible to use a LCD in sunlight, (but I guess I dont have that problem anymore in Brookings)

Steves digicams is also a good
resource

again good luck, most of the current camera models all take excellent photos, so pick one that closely meets your needs. When comparing the camera lenses, ignore anything about digital zoom, pay attention to the optical zoom

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 12:56 AM »

Imaging-Resource has a constantly updated section called:

Dave's Picks.

If you choose the heading of budget, here are the choices currently recommended:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM?view=dp_cheap

The A3300 suggested above is on the list.  Smiley

If you click on any of the blue headings, you will be shifted to a review of that camera. Great starting point for any digital camera search.

Good luck.
THe lack of a view finder stops me from buying a lot of cameras.  So much harder to compose a shot or take good video of moving objects without one.  Even some of the Dslr's are doing away with them.
wufer
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 06:45 AM »

I would go for a Panasinic FS30.
No veiwfinder, but the pics are top class.

Derek.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 08:59 AM »

Yep we've been in the market for over two  years for a new digicam but the only pocketable cam with a viewfinder is that Canon with only a 4X optical zoom, we want a bit more for shooting kites and scenery. We have big cameras already that don't need replacing. What we need is a compact that can be put in a pocket purse or fanny pack WITH a viewfinder. Besides not being able to use them in daylight where 99% of our photos are taken you can not hold a camera steady at arms length.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 09:04 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
AKA_MrBill
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 09:24 AM »

When we were in New York last month, we took a trip to Camera Meca, aka B&H Photo.
We picked up this Panasonic Lumix camera for my wife. Now I am a die-hard Canon Pro line shooter, but I have to say, this little PS is a great camera.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/749968-REG/Panasonic_DMC_FH27_DMC_FH27_Digital_Camera.html
Currently $159.99 and free shipping. More features than you can imagine, including touch screen focus and shooting. That's right, touch the screen where you want it to focus and fire away. Great image quality too.
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 06:48 PM »

THe lack of a view finder stops me from buying a lot of cameras.  So much harder to compose a shot or take good video of moving objects without one.  Even some of the Dslr's are doing away with them.

Angry One of the stupidest, lemming-mentalitly, fashion over function/usability design trends to hit the photography market in recent memory.

I can only assume these are the same idiots that push things like glare-inducing shiny laptop/netbook screens.

<* End mini-rant *>

ATB,
Sam
Doc Z
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 09:01 PM »

I keep hearing good things about the Lumix as well.  Never used one, but it's been reviewed favorably. 
ghfisanotti

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 12:26 PM »

For all my  kite-related photos and videos, for the past year I've been using a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 and I'm very satisfied with it, a little bit heavy for a compact, but full of nice features. I only miss the viewfinder, it is really difficult to see anything in that LCD in plain sunlight, also holding it steady at arms length is no easy task, but it seems impossible to get a modern compact camera with some sort of (optical or electronic) viewfinder.
Apparently, many amateurs who started taking pictures using compact cameras without a viewfinder are now asking that the professional DSLR cameras have the capability of pointing with the LCD at arms length instead of using the viewfinder; will we see the viewfinder disappear from the DSLRs too? :-(
randyg
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 05:34 PM »

I'm seriously considering the Canon ELPH 310HS. Best Buy has it for $199. 12.1 MP, 8x zoom w/28mm wide lens, full 1080p HD video, metal body, etc. Crazy!

I need small and this thing is.

Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 06:35 PM »

When I was looking at cameras earlier this year the "all weather" or underwater models from several makers had good optical viewfinders.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Stuart99
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2011, 10:09 AM »

Thanks for the replies so far, what do you guys think of this one?:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&pwst=1&q=canon+sx150&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1366&bih=639&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=17978681049880179759&sa=X&ei=2dnPTp_-IMHm0QHQiPA_&ved=0CEwQ8wIwAQ
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2011, 06:47 PM »

Would you guy stop bringing up all the cameras, I don't need anymore...

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change