GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 03:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Solus video #3!  (Read 2100 times)
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« on: November 25, 2011, 07:52 AM »

Hey guys,
Thanksgiving break is here so I finally got to come home and do some flying with Jon and Joe! Here's some footage of the day with our new Solus'.

Skyburner Solus 11/2011

Skyburner Solus 11/2011

Have a good one all,
Devin

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Danno419
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 08:21 AM »

Nice! - a solus may be my next kite.
I really liked the flick-flac to 540 combo - and did i see what i would call a lazy cascade or two in there?
Impressive  Cool

JoE Talon UL #4
JoE Talon STD #138
Zephyr
4D
Acrobatx
Snapshot 1.2 & 2.5
Hmmmm Talon vent or SUL next... decisions decisions.
AlexanderH
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 10:12 AM »

Nice Flying Devin...

The solus flies great tricks for a large kite, very impressive.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 12:41 PM »

Yeah, now I'm sure what my next kite will be ! Some really nice flying there...

Off to the colorizor.  Shocked

vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 03:01 PM »

Hey Devin the flying is off the hook.  Some of those combo's are crazy sick..  I like seeing the two kites together at 1:24.  I have a matching Ul to the Std. he was flying. Also my new Std.matches his new UL.  No photo's... They look great in the sky.
COULD BE A "BLACK FRIDAY SALE" IN THE SWAP.....  Probably time to clean up my kite bag... ( Ocius Std. Ocius UL and "Moonie" Exile #25 ( I think)  could be sale of the century...   Wink  This is my second Solus std. and my First Solus UL.  This Kite took all my efforts this season and made me look real good.    Cool Cool Cool Cool

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
John Welden

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 10:09 PM »

Thats the best new school flying I've ever seen. Way better than any Euro dude. Total control
martijn
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 09:03 AM »

Thats the best new school flying I've ever seen. Way better than any Euro dude. Total control

uhmmm.....well yeah devin has really good skills....but imo there are some euro fellas who flies significantly better ( i name Chris Goff, Debray ).....i missed some context in this footage.... i mean i missed some precision....some crisp corners between tricks....

now i can start a new discussion for STACK/Tricksparty wise style...i won't Wink

this footage was reasonable freestyle.... but some tricks were a little '' untidy ''

and as the solus pretend to be a full size polyvalent kite, i think it will help to use longer lines ( aprox. 120 ft )
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 01:11 PM »

Yeah, now I'm sure what my next kite will be ! Some really nice flying there...

Off to the colorizor.  Shocked
You won't regret it ROb. IT's a great kite and a good compliment to the WM.  IT's bigger but tricks and flies a bit faster than the WM.  IMO not as forgiving though.

uhmmm.....well yeah devin has really good skills....but imo there are some euro fellas who flies significantly better ( i name Chris Goff, Debray ).....i missed some context in this footage.... i mean i missed some precision....some crisp corners between tricks....

now i can start a new discussion for STACK/Tricksparty wise style...i won't Wink

this footage was reasonable freestyle.... but some tricks were a little '' untidy ''

and as the solus pretend to be a full size polyvalent kite, i think it will help to use longer lines ( aprox. 120 ft )
  THere are a few euro guys I can think of that fly as good or better than Devin on their preferred kite.  Put em together in a comp setting an it would be a nightmare to judge though Tongue
martijn

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 02:08 PM »

[/quote]  THere are a few euro guys I can think of that fly as good or better than Devin on their preferred kite.  Put em together in a comp setting an it would be a nightmare to judge though Tongue
[/quote]

good point. offcource it is the combination of pilot and their preferred kite, true.
that is what i meant with '' context ''
i like skilled pilots who combines precision with tricks....looks sharp and is easier to '' read '' for audience and judge.
so i prefer Debray instead of goff....but last named is best freestylist in this moment imo...and for the informed people who knows how hard it is to trick a kite like him....you'll understand it is top notch....even a skilled judge will see that Tongue
Makalu1

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 02:56 PM »

So Devin, some of us still can't tell at a glance like you all can- were both vid's the same kite and were they a standard, UL or SUL?  Just curious.
Thanks,
Scott

Scott Madsen
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 03:46 PM »

Hey scott,
Both videos are the same, just on different websites. The kite is our new solus standard for team.

thanks,
Devin

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 04:19 PM »

THere are a few euro guys I can think of that fly as good or better than Devin on their preferred kite.  Put em together in a comp setting an it would be a nightmare to judge though Tongue

good point. offcource it is the combination of pilot and their preferred kite, true.
that is what i meant with '' context ''
i like skilled pilots who combines precision with tricks....looks sharp and is easier to '' read '' for audience and judge.
so i prefer Debray instead of goff....but last named is best freestylist in this moment imo...and for the informed people who knows how hard it is to trick a kite like him....you'll understand it is top notch....even a skilled judge will see that Tongue
I agree with you Martijn. A good blended routine is quite enjoyable. Goff is good and can trick the hell out of a kite but I have yet to see him fly. Debray on the other hand can fly and trick like mad.  ITs kind of a shame that good flying (precision) seems to be taking a back seat to non stop tricks.  I know a couple people around here that can trick like crazy but can't fly a straight line to save their kite.  Hand em any freestyle kite and they'll go to town but hand em a kite like a prophecy and they don't know what to do Tongue
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 07:01 PM by Ca Ike » Logged
John Welden

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2011, 06:40 PM »

I may have exaggerated a little.

Regardless, Kevin really cares about smoothness and thats a big deal to me. I could clearly see and understand all the tricks he did. It was so nice to see a guy make something pretty rather than another flippy floppy bang bang video.  And there was no awful 'driving to the kite field - setting up kite - I think I'm in a RedBull add' in the beginning. No dudes acting serious either. Can't stand that crap.  You're flying kites... not on MTV.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2011, 12:18 AM »

....  And there was no awful 'driving to the kite field - setting up kite - I think I'm in a RedBull add' in the beginning. No dudes acting serious either. Can't stand that crap.  You're flying kites... not on MTV.

+1   that introspective, dark gloomy stuff loses me every time

I thought it looked dang good for somebody who has been in school the last 3 months and probably not got more then a few hours flying in during that time.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 12:31 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 09:03 AM »

Great Discussion on the Video and Devin's flying...  Grin

I happen to have a "Ton of Respect" for some of the guys  Cool who posted... Guys I only know from nicknames and advise they posted.
  I continue to maintain that respect. Cool  Some of U are some Good Flyer's.  At times your advise is beyond imaginable unless you look at my flying in May 2011 vs. Nov. 2011.  Advise from many of you. Smiley

You all seem to break down "kite film" quit well,watching everything and understanding the kite and pilot.  John at times is so right it shocks me.  Some of his input has put me were I am at.  His key suggestions  Grin for practice and thought have helped me in my training ( and probably others who have read his comments Undecided).  In my mind I keep the words of wisdom that are dotted on the forum.

Now back to "Little-Creep-O's" flying skills.  If you tie a brick to a carbon rod and put a string on it many of you can fly it.  Cheesy Cheesy  Huh  Herzog in Calif,  RobB in NY,RandyG, just to spot check a few. 
I've not seen Weldon but his advise tells me he can fly the hell out of a kite.

This past summer a gentlman from Germany was here on work.  We all flew together.  He is an engineer type.  Been flying for 8 months.  Also had bulit two kites in the timeperiod.  He had a "Deep 6" Deep Pearl can't remember.  He lived near Level One store ...
From his perspective winds were high in Europe.  Of course his area.  Do winds and field make a difference  in skill levels Huh  Of course they do.  Proper wind is going to advance a flyer quicker than strong unstable gusting crap.

Does this make Euro flyer's better Huh  A judge would go crazy even trying...   Huh It might be that the differnce is so small no one can tell.  The only way would be some nut,crazy combo everyone would have to do.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes  But that would only mean it's a trick some had not achieved, doesn't make the one who does it better or stand as a level of competence for everyone else.  i.e. Euro vs. U.S. vs. Aussie's vs. Singapore...

But all of this is 'just words of exchange' for interaction between a number of persons who have a passion for the same thing.  I think it's great and Not hurtful. Wink Wink Wink Wink

The VIDEO FACTS :  ( note how many were right )
The Video was shot on a lousy day.  The field was so wet our feet were soaked and cold.  It had rained for over 24 hrs. straight puddles of standing water everywhere.
In the background I am flying identical looking kite but it's an Ultra-Lite. wind was so bad and changing... Sad Sad Sad Sad

Little Creep-O had driven home from Chicago (5hrs) on Monday nite late.  He arrived home about 2:00a.m. Tuesday and we met at Kite Store over an hour away for him at 1:00pm to get our kites and fly.  We got there as the Rain got there.  We played in the store until about 4:30pm. when he left.  The next day at noon he had already driven back to the store and field.  As I said the field was soaked.  Undecided Undecided 

Jon filmed Devin flying.  I think Devin processed it as a smaller file but it makes the quality fuzzy.  Jon was tweaking our briddle's as we tested the new kites.   In double checking the kite's ability Devin tweak the kite to do a number of tricks a particular way.  Tweaking meaning(  the upper spreader was lowered and raised, at one time it was even shorten for better control. Adjusting pigtails and bridle. )  When it didn't happen during the early design changes were made over and over again.  Until Devin felt it fly just perfect. 

The Kid hadn't flown in months he was running on gust of adrenial from seeing the new design. (His music choice sucks).  No routine just freestyle with purpose.  To test the new kite to the max.  During the day he broke two leading edges, he fly's hard. But they were broken when he did some strange, crazy,insane new combo he is working on.  Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed

It is almost impossible to film "Percision Flying"or 125 ft.lines.  I have tried to video these guys the past two years. (Steve and Spencer Blues Brother's Team)  It doesn't show up. You tend to follow the kite .  Doesn't give a good view.  If you create a window in the camera to catch the action your way to far back to see it.
I spend a lot of time flying percision.  I never record it espicially when I am alone. In a few of my video's I try to fly some squares.... but you can't fly circle's,jump,octy,wedge,pyramid on flim. With my camera  Cry ... or Jon's Camcorder.

When I can't do tricks I fly straight lines,circles,squares,angle's... It's the first thing I check with a new kite "How Does it Track". Meaning does it fly straight with no wobble,no over fly,and sharp crisp turns.  This Kite makes me look better than I am...
Sharp turns,tracking without wobble... Double Roll-up's ??.Lewis's out of the box Huh  You have to believe ....  I am not that good.  Cry Cry  That 100 inches makes a huge differnce in control and percision as well as tricking.

If you think"Little Creep-O" can trick ? You should see him fly through every compulsary move in the book. Huh Huh
The Goal of this kite was for an Excellent Team Kite ... now I wish we'd tried to film more.  I have no fear flying a couple feet off the ground horizontally,  but the video would look like a kite flying perfect lines  BORING !!! WASTE OF BANDWITH  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 09:36 AM by vertigo2u » Logged

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change