GWTW Forum
December 17, 2014, 06:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: To UL or not to UL, that is the question...  (Read 3039 times)
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2011, 09:14 AM »

All good advise so I'll just add that in comparison to your Nexus any good full size Std kite wth good drive will significantly widen the wind range you are currently experiencing and may be all you're looking for. If you have gusty/changing conditions avoid a large SUL framed in 2pt's, Zero Airs or the like in the learning and experimentation stages. Kites like the Zephyr and Silver Foxes fall into a nice range where weight and wind range are reduced without sacrificing too much durability.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2011, 09:23 AM »

BMK Exile.  It flys as low as many ULs, but is also extremely well built and durable, it also tricks well.  It get the standard and perhaps the UL later (which matches up to most makers SULs).

Also, even a UL will take alot of wind before it breaks assuming that you keep it in the air.  My son flys a 2pt framed kite in 8 mph all the time beating the tar out of it and has never broken a spar on it.  They mostly break when they hit the ground!  Smiley
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 09:43 AM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2011, 11:42 AM »

Hi again Ara i agree with Tom on this one, the Exile. great all around kite and they can look REALLY nice also

have fun kurt
Shane
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2011, 07:32 PM »

Talon UL!!  Grin  Grin

It was my second kite... after my New Tech Techno (which i learned how to smash into the ground)... Shocked Sad

But the Talon is currently the only kite I have and I fly it in anything from about 1-10ish MPH wind and it takes it all well.

BUT.... I have flown the WM nitro and you can always black out a bunch of the panels and that STD will fly in next to nothing. I think I actually learned more on that kite in the month or so that i flew it than i did with my Talon. So even if you don't particularly like the looks of the WM I would pull up the colorizer and see if you can find something that you love with some tweaking. And I also agree with Tom on the Exile. That is a great kite as well.

Shane

"Once you have flown, you will walk with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you long to return." Leonardo Da Vinci
Hadge

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2011, 02:15 AM »

Ara, I see you are in Barcelona, I wonder if you have the same problem as me, that is that all of these very nice kites are available in the USA, but by the time you have imported them, with postage and import taxes, they get very expensive? We do have some good options in Europe, Bensons, J.O.E Talons, R-sky etc. I wonder if you have considered the Eolo Over or Neox, both very good kites and probably cheaper and more readily available to you?

Eolo Neox and Eolo Over UL stunt kites at freestyle.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2011, 05:01 AM »

Hi Hadge,

Yes indeed! Being in Europe makes the prices of many of those nice kites much more expensive  Cry

I have been told that the Eolos are nice but since nobody talks about them in these forums I was kind of reluctant to get one of them...  Undecided
But in fact, since I had to wait for 5 weeks to get my Nexus, in the meantime the store lent me a Samurai and it helped me learn very well. The Nexus feels much more nervous than the Samurai so it was good to start with a calmer kite.

So you do recommend the Over? The video shows a nice performance but it could be that the pilot is great...  Wink

Now, there is another possibility in my near future (to make things more difficult)  Roll Eyes

I will be travelling to NYC for Christmas holidays (my parents invite both my family and my brother's family; 10 of us).
Anyway, I was thinking that I could buy a nice kite through the Internet in the US and have it sent (free shipping) to my hotel!  Cheesy
Could that be a truly possible option, anyone?

Maybe this way I could get one of those popular US kites at a US price...  Wink  Cool

So:
1. Hadge what do you think? The Over looks nice.
2. Anyone else can tell me anything about the Over?
3. What do you think about my US buy being sent to my hotel in NYC?

Thanks!

N.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
onlye
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2011, 07:05 AM »

I had an Over for awhile and really enjoyed the kite.  It is a STD but I found with a bit of effort it would fly in the lower 3 to 4 mph range.  If you can find one at a reasonable price it would be a great step from your current kite. 

On the Exile- also a great STD that has a good lower end range.  I think I sold the Over to purchase an Exile STD and UL.

Since you are in Europe, another plug for Level One kites.  Great quality and a good selection available in the UL (extreme) version.

If you are flying a Prism Nexus then almost anything will be an improvement.  I got one for travel and have never had an enjoyable outing with it.

On a general note - I live inland and most of my flying is 1 to 5 mph.  I am so geared to that wind range that I think of 8 mph as time to put up the kites and go in.  For the first 3 years I flew kites my flying time was limited to high wind days and trips to the coast.  Once I discovered low wind kites my enjoyment for kite flying soared.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 07:08 AM by onlye » Logged

eric
forum member since 04/21/2001
and still can't fly like those darn videos
Hadge

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2011, 08:32 AM »

I've only flown the Over briefly but it's certainly a very capable kite ( much better than me!). It's a big kite and quite slow and a good all round performer - good precision and good for freestyle trick flying. The Neox is slightly smaller and quicker and much more of a freestyle kite.  Eolo's are well made, I have an old Tango 2 and it has held together well. I can't get Eolo's in the UK now as no-one is importing them but they were very popular a few years ago and are still good kites.  They also make a UL Over.

The pilot in the film , Alex, is one of those people who can make a plastic carrier bag on a piece of string look good!! but there are plenty more videos on Youtube. 

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum