GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 08:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Choices, choices, choices  (Read 825 times)
Shane
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: December 05, 2011, 01:53 PM »

SO...

Christmas time has come and I finally get to have a new kite.... I got the Talon UL last November and I am to pick up a new baby... Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy

But, I need your help and advice on what you think would be a good second kite...Huh

1. R-Sky Toxic. - I love the way that it looks when it flies it looks like it in a kite in the direction that I would like to go... but I have only seen Debray fly it in the videos and he makes them all look amazing. So any input from other people that might have flown it would be great.

2. JoE Talon Std. - I need a kite that can handle the days where my UL will not fly. Obviously the Talon is a great kite, i am just trying to figure out whether I should get something else for variety sake.

3. Benson Deep Space Std. - It seems everyone that flies this loves it and says it should be in the bag at some point...  But considering that I love my Talon (and that the Talon was designed after the DS anyway) Should I get this or stick with the Talon??

4. CGK Superfly. - Need I say more. I am sure it is a great kite... but then again the only video of the kite is with Chris flying and be reall. he could probably make my Techno do that... lol.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes And I also do see any reviews on them yet...

5. SKD Transformer. - not sure about this one because I love Toms FL but I can't quite swing the bucks for a FL yet... So I think I will wait and get the FL instead of the Transformer this time around...

As always, you guys are the best and I appreciate any and all input.

Thanks
Shane

"Once you have flown, you will walk with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you long to return." Leonardo Da Vinci
jaydub
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 02:31 PM »

I have a Talon Std and a DS Std and UL.  The DS and the Talon are variations on a very similar theme.  The DS is better at the flat spinny stuff and the Talon is better at the pitchy stuff.  The DS gets quite fast above 8 mph, so the Talon may be the better choice of the two to complement your Talon UL. It is twitchier in a fade than the Talon UL or the DS, so you may want to take that into account.  Neither sit particularly deep in the turtle, so aren't as easy to do multi-lazy type tricks on.  Build quality on both is absolutely top notch.

Out of the rest, I've flown a couple of incarnations of Superfly protos: the Stella winning kite in some horrendously gusty 15-20mph wind and the final proto in 3-4 mph.  Obviously neither conditions were ideal for testing it in, but it does feel like a really nice kite.  I have to admit being sorely tempted myself.

Not flown a Toxic or a Transformer so really can't comment on either of those.  I have flown a FL though and found it far too locked into the turtle for my liking.  Just my opinion.

Personally I'd go for the Talon or Superfly from your list.

tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 03:53 PM »

Get the Toxic or SF of course - so I can try them out!  Smiley 

Both are so new that you probably can't even get a first-hand conversational review at this point, so more risk there.   Of course, if you buy one and don't like it, you can knock off 20% and sell it here in probably less than 45 minutes.

A new kite is always a tough choice when you can't fly them first!  Sad

Transformer is a smaller mad trickster that has amazing precision (better than many larger kites I've tried) which is a combination I love.  I've been flying mine for over a year now and still can't get enough of it - one of my favorites in a wide variety of wind.  But, you've flown mine so if its not for you then perhaps best holding off for the FVL. 

I would expect the Toxic to be more like the Transformer than the Talon is (due to how R-SKYs other kites feel), not sure about the SF - it's hard to tell too much from that one sweet video other than the thing sure seems to Taz and freestyle combo like mad.

I guess what I'm saying is that these choices seem to good, that you can't really make a mistake!  Smiley

-Tom

6 kite tom
coogee
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 01:19 AM »

My DS is now at least 6 years old and still a brilliant kite, a winner hands down. Every one should have a Benson kite!
         Mike
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 04:33 AM »

I'd build a family of kites before branching out. It you like the Talon UL but want more upper wind range, it would make sense to go with the std. If you like the way the UL flies, you'll like the way the standard flies. And you won't have to adjust your flying style either. Different kites have different flying styles. It's nice to have variety but maybe save it for the NEXT kite after this one.

I have the DS too and it's everything everyone's said in this thread. I, actually, never thought it got fast as the wind picks up. My EXILE gets fast as the wind picks up and is a lot harder to trick than the DS at the same wind speed.

I vote for the Talon UL.

Bob D.
Kareloh
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 08:39 AM »

Sure, buying a STD Talon if you allready have the UL is a wise thing to do. Can't go wrong with that.

However, if your're looking for variation... i'd get a different style kite. Perhaps something more allround. Tricks and precision.
I bought a Transfer XTr after flying the Gemini for a while. Almost the opposite stylewise. Frustrating at first, but i learned so much flying that kite.
Not recommending a Transfer though.

The Talon family is not that great at backflip based tricks. The Toxic and FL excell at it. Like Jaydub said: they lock in.
I like the DS but never owned one. Don't know about the Transformer.

I'd say: get yourself a (2nd hand) Nirvana (SE). Bigger inputs and more physical flying, but you won't be dissapointed.
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 09:16 AM »

SO...

Christmas time has come and I finally get to have a new kite.... I got the Talon UL last November and I am to pick up a new baby... Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy

4. CGK Superfly. - Need I say more. I am sure it is a great kite... but then again the only video of the kite is with Chris flying and be reall. he could probably make my Techno do that... lol.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes And I also do see any reviews on them yet...

Not surprising since he just started taking orders a few weeks ago.
But in lieu of a review, when my gets here you're welcome to stop by and give it a toss.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change