GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 10:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Modifications We Suggest  (Read 2273 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: November 28, 2011, 01:57 PM »

Been a while since we've done this and it's purely a matter of taste.

What have you done to a purchased kite that you would recommend to others?

Here are 3 (all having to do with vinyl end caps):

1 Benson Inner Space: Replace the vinyl end cap center-T with a solid one. Yes, it does add a few grams to the total weight, but the rigidity of the IS improves dramatically.

2 Prism Vapor: Add a small vinyl end cap to the center-T to keep the adjustable bridle leg from popping out.

3 All kites with exposed wingtip nocks: Cover the end caps with vinyl end caps. It helps keep the nock clean and protected from breaking along with ensuring the tensioning line is kept in place.

Got suggestions to add?  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Krijn
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 03:12 PM »

i've added keeperlines to some ofmy kites in the past, preventing the bridle getting stuck behind the tail
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 03:52 PM »

if you're flying a trick kite, help keep it in great shape by using leader lines made of good quality bridle material whenever you fly.

leader lines are 3-6ft (1-2m) sections of bridle line used as extensions which go between your bridle and flying lines and serve to protect the kite and fittings from the cutting and abrasive nature of the spectra flying line. the leader lines prevent the flying line from contacting your kite in most situations.

Fdeli
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 04:42 PM »

if you're flying a trick kite, help keep it in great shape by using leader lines made of good quality bridle material whenever you fly.

leader lines are 3-6ft (1-2m) sections of bridle line used as extensions which go between your bridle and flying lines and serve to protect the kite and fittings from the cutting and abrasive nature of the spectra flying line. the leader lines prevent the flying line from contacting your kite in most situations.

Thats a good one!

I think it was Will who told me that they should wrap around once and then back down to slightly below the trailing edge in order to prevent the lines from touching for most (non multi wrap) wrapped flying.  Good advice.

6 kite tom
tpatter

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 04:47 PM »

I like to apply gaffers tape to the nose in order to prevent wear and also seam fraying. 

Many don't like to see tape on a $400 kite, but I've seen many frayed and nearly-blown noses that I think are from everyday line and cart-wheel friction.  Once the nose gets 'fuzzy' it starts to pull apart.

I also put a small bit where the yoyo stopper meets the LE in order to prevent wear on the dacron or stopper. It lasts about 4 months worth of flying and then I put it on again.

6 kite tom
tpatter

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 04:52 PM »

Moonie tape on the lower spreaders between the standoffs and, depending on the kite, perhaps a bit to the left and right of the standoffs.

I used to see wear on my bridles due to the sky-shark spars slowly grinding away at it.  Moonie tape dramatically reduces this wear - I haven't replaced a bridle since I started using it.

6 kite tom
Svolazzo
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 05:38 PM »

Besides all that already said, I add a little piece of adhesive dacron (insigna tape) close the yoyo stopper to prevent LE wear
This is my Sheratan SV:

Paolo
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 07:24 PM »

Add train lines and fly as a stack

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 10:42 PM »

The most important mod I do to a new kite is the proper addition of dirt to the nose and scuffs to the LE that will change a princess kite into a member of the family.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Ca Ike

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 12:32 AM »

PRism vapor : Small pieces of heat shrink on each knot on the center-T to help lock it in place.

Most of my kites I use plasti-dip on the noses to prevent wear and give a cushion for the odd nose plant (just need to dip about 1/8 inch of the nose)

Leader lines if there aren't any

Replace bungies with lashings where needed and add caps to wing tip nocks

replace sail grabber SO fittings with JAco's

lasapcheong
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 01:22 AM »

For dual lines,

Grab some heat shrink tubing from the local hardware shop and have them over the lower spreaders near the center Tee. Helps to strengthen it a little bit. Stole the idea from Kitehouse's Cosmic TC. Works like a charm.

For Indoor Revs,
I have them on my Indoor Rev now at the leading edge connecting to the center spar near the ferrules. Did this from bad experience of the leading edge rods splintering near the center ferrules

For Outdoor Revs,
No mods I can think of now. They fly great out of the box. Revs seldom get the same amount of abuse a dual line (rightfully  Roll Eyes) gets.

-Darryl

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 02:50 AM »

I've added BMK style leading edge tensioning to my Zephyr and my Hypnotist.  To the Hypnotist, I've also added yo-yo stoppers (holes are punched at the factory, so this is as easy as slicing an APA standoff connector and drilling a hole for a zip tie).

DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 06:47 AM »

When I get a new kite I add moonie tape to the back of the sail from nose to tail (under the spine). I put a piece of moonie tape on the wear patch where the US crosses the spine. I add a piece of moonie tape to the LE just above the yoyo stops. I cover the wing tip nocks with dorsal caps, and add 6' leaders.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 03:06 PM »

Not exactly a modification, but certainly one of the most useful things you can do for any kite. As soon as you open that triangular box and have your new pride & joy laid out in front of you , before you even think of getting in the car and heading for your local field.  Take a piece of paper and measure all the spars- length and diameter, measure the position of all the fittings, measure all the bridle dimensions and note if they fit above or below the leading edge fittings, take a couple of detailed photos and put the piece of paper in a folder somewhere safe. You'll be amazed how useful this will be down the line when something breaks.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
B-13
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 04:44 AM »

+1 on the measurements first. I even have a DVD with photos, dimensions of the spars and a PDF of the kite with specific positioning of parts, length of the bridles, the spars diameters and length.
Lines length and strength from stock and customs ones too.
This is perhaps too much but as Hadge stated, you will be more than happy the day you need some repairs and know exactly what you need.

Proud Member of Kitelife.com #943 Smiley
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change