GWTW Forum
October 23, 2014, 08:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First shots of the Zephyr  (Read 2387 times)
B-13
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: November 30, 2011, 01:58 AM »

Hello all,

It's been a long time i did not post on here and back with some photos from my last flying.
Brought my backpack with camera gears that day in search of some nice photos but the weather was not so great. Covered and grey. But we had a nice sea breeze allowing us to have real fun that day.
My girlfriend grabbed the camera and took some nice shots. Good job she did on that day.  Cool

Hypnotist in fade position - Started it high for some next flic flacs

Zephyr on its Tip - A nice framing here and well backlit

Zephyr on its way to the edge

Zephyr ready for launch - my Favorite shot so far

Many thanks to my love one and thanking you for looking

p.s: Thanks to Steve here for the Zephyr..AWESOME kite even if i did use only 25% of it's potential  Cheesy

B-13

Proud Member of Kitelife.com #943 Smiley
Kareloh
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 05:36 AM »

Great pics, loads of saturation! I like...
B-13

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 05:42 AM »

Great pics, loads of saturation! I like...
Thanks Kareloh.
The pics were taken in RAW format and processed in tiff format before exporting to jpg for web.
I recorded an action in PS CS5 to do the re-sizing and sharpening for web. Must lower the saturation slider a bit one day.

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 09:12 AM »

Great pic's, Kudos to your GF. Keep'em coming & watch for the misc photo contests that pop up here time to time.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 10:38 AM »

Anyone who takes the trouble to go through the RAW process has my respect.
I am not that dedicated.

Very nice photos.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Doc Z
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 02:41 PM »

Nice shots! Shooting on a cloudless, sunny day is more boring than a sky filled with clouds, in my humble opinion.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
B-13

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 07:27 PM »

Anyone who takes the trouble to go through the RAW process has my respect.
I am not that dedicated.

Very nice photos.  Smiley

Chilese, thanks for these kind words  Smiley
I always shoot in RAW format. Larger range of luminosity to work with, greater channel depth and more flexible with non-destructive specifications.
But the new cameras now do great job in their in-camera RAW to JPG and delivers great photos...but not for those who like to process their photos to their taste.

p.s: You can view my photos on my online portfolio on http://btreize.500px.com thanks

madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 12:52 PM »

Exquisite light, gorgeous imagery. Oh man, it looks like you live in a paradise! I don't have any exif widget on my computer these days, but I can't help it: what camera/lenses are you using? Are you blending more than one photo? Really good stuff. Thanks!

Oh. Love the Zephyr shots too!

Nancy

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
B-13

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 08:18 PM »

Exquisite light, gorgeous imagery. Oh man, it looks like you live in a paradise! I don't have any exif widget on my computer these days, but I can't help it: what camera/lenses are you using? Are you blending more than one photo? Really good stuff. Thanks!

Oh. Love the Zephyr shots too!

Nancy

Nancy, i thank you for this comment.
This is perhaps not the place to discuss about photography but we are already there so i'll just input these info for you.
I use a Canon EOS 500D/T1i
The Zephyr shots were taken with the kit lens 18-55IS.
The other shots from my online portfolio are some with the 18-55IS and the wider and newer ones are with the Canon 10-22USM. A great Ultra Wide angle lens btw.
As for exposures, i use on most of my shots GND filters (Graduated Neutral Density filters) to balance highlights and shadows. When lighting exceeds by too much the dynamic range that the filters and camera offer, i will take several shots and hand blend them in PS CS5. I personally prefer in-camera shots with filters and good exposure calculations rather than sitting home and manipulating multiple shots and with this correcting subjects movements, lighting change, etc..
Also i always shoot in RAW, on a tripod and manual focus using hyperfocal distance focusing.
Process from RAW to tiff format in 16bit channel and LAB color profile. Then all this will be converted back to regular jog formats for web posting and facebooking lol

There you are Nancy, hope i answered your questions  Smiley
I know there are lots of amateur photographer here and would like to see some kite shots done by them  Smiley

B

chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 08:33 PM »

Here are some of my kite shots, since you asked.  Smiley

https://picasaweb.google.com/110054276296809616662/FavoritesKites

The album above has about 100 I particularly like.
Some go back to my 1 MP Nikon 900s.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 10:11 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Adamld13
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 09:51 PM »

WOW! B-13 those are some really amazing pics!
I think i have to agree with you on your favorite!

madhabitz

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 11:24 PM »

So this is how far out of the camera loop I am:  The kit lens is now IS? How cool is that? Blending layers of various exposures is a phenomenal way to go. You *can* have it all in one image if you want to. I've done them and I've seen about a million of them, but I've got to tell you-- yours are among the best I've seen, in so many ways. You've got skillz, dude!

For what it's worth, wanting in-camera shots is noble, but if you think about it..... film photographers used to do every bit as much darkroom work as the digital shooters are doing now with Photoshop. Think about the tool/filter naming conventions within the program. Many of them are darkroom terminology. Give up the guilt, because it's still photography and you still have to have The Eye. Wallow in the digital. Be proud! ::insert sappy music::

Nancy

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
madhabitz

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 11:43 PM »

Here are some of my kite shots, since you asked.  Smiley

https://picasaweb.google.com/110054276296809616662/FavoritesKites

The album above has about 100 I particularly like.
Some go back to my 1 MP Nikon 900s.

Heh.... like everybody else, I love your photos. I've looked at 'em so many times I've worn 'em out, I'm sure. For the life of me, I can't figure out how you can fly a dual line kite and shoot with a steady hand. That's just unnatural, son!

B-13

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 11:58 PM »

Agree with Nancy. This is really unnatural. How do yo focus? or it's manual focus with delay timer of 10secs then crop the image in a good frame  Undecided
But i must say that these are great shots.And some great pilots too on some.
Unfortunately on my small island these are no such festival and to be honest, i am the only one i've seen so far flying stunt kites  Sad

Nancy, for the process, i still prefer on field shots but my technique is to sit after a shot on the spot and capture in my memory how the scene is. With my GF we do this and recreate that scene as identical in terms of luminosity, tones and saturation when processing.
The process is still the same as in darkrooms before but it's only the tools and media that changed.

madhabitz

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 12:11 AM »

Nancy, for the process, i still prefer on field shots but my technique is to sit after a shot on the spot and capture in my memory how the scene is. With my GF we do this and recreate that scene as identical in terms of luminosity, tones and saturation when processing.
The process is still the same as in darkrooms before but it's only the tools and media that changed.

Do you know what GiGo stands for? Garbage-in Garbage-out. If you didn't take that time in the field, doing what you're doing, all of the post processing in the world wouldn't create the images you are ending up with.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change