GWTW Forum
October 23, 2014, 02:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has Anyone Used Rigid Bridle Legs?  (Read 719 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: November 30, 2011, 11:16 AM »

When a 3 point bridle is under tension, all the legs are rigid.
But that tow point shifts all over the place during slack line moves.

Has anyone played with having 1, 2, or even all 3 lines as inflexible links?

With 3 solid bridle links, dead launches should be easy.

With 2 solid bridle links, the bridle could still collapse, allowing fade tricks to work.

I can't think of a benefit to having 1 solid bridle link.

Just wondering......  Smiley
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 11:34 AM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 12:05 PM »

As with any kite mod I start with a clear understanding of what I'm trying to fix, or improve. Other than sitting like a hang glider ready to launch, what's the goal?

Allen, AKA kitehead
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 12:17 PM »

Goal:

An increased understanding of all things kite related.

For a guy who walks around barefoot all the time, you are such the pragmatist.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 12:50 PM »

wouldn't it be the case on a 3 point bridle, the lower legs alternate being slack when you make a turn? so when turning 2 of the 4 lower legs are slack or 'not under full load', one on each side?

allen has a point though.

Fdeli
AKA_MrBill
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 03:10 PM »

There is a simple way to test this out, although, any damage it might cause to your kite is not my probem.  Grin

Cut a length of, say 5mm puldrude, to the length of each leg of the bridal you want to make rigid. Now thread those legs through their respective pieces of rod and re-attach the bridal to the frame.

This will add weight to the kite, but it will give you a quick idea if this mod will work or not.

With the wind we have today, you might be able to make a shoe fly if you hold it just right.  Wink
ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 03:25 PM »

not directly a rigid bridle, but a variation there off. A control bar between the tow points and hold in place by the bridle and two sticks running from the control bar to the kit itself. So it is firmly in place. the main advantage i see is having a more solid feel for the kite during speed flying and of course a different center of mass for the kite, in front of the sail. Can be beneficial in high aspect kites.
Another old variant is the ghost frame, basically a really sturdy triangle inserted into the bridle or in front of it to help spreading the load across the kite better, popular in large trains. like 50+ Peter Powells.
I used a ghost frame in my old 10 Spin-off train. Works like a charm.
Of course one could argue that the old Flexifoil stacker do have a solid bridle, the frontal spare.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change