GWTW Forum
August 19, 2014, 09:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: To UL or not to UL, that is the question...  (Read 2711 times)
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« on: December 01, 2011, 11:29 AM »

Hi all,

On thinking about buying a new kite (gee, this sport/hobby really gets in your veins  Huh )  a question has appeared as if it were a rock on my back.

Should I buy a UL or an Std?

In my area the wind is generally low. However, it can sometimes get gusty and with some strong blows.
So I'm scared the UL kite may break. Or am I overdoing this?

So I guess the question is, how strong a UL kite is?
Or which Km/h limit would be the max for a UL?

Thanks in advance!

N.

P.S. I also ask because in this forum I see soooooo many ULs "flying around"...

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Dano
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 11:54 AM »

Hola,

Have you learned how to fly and control a "standard" kite, first ?
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 12:05 PM »

Simple answer to your question is Norm's Widow Maker sale in the swap meet.  One price - two kites. Smiley

Hadge

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 12:42 PM »

Generally speaking a UL will have a useable range of about 3-8 mph (1or2-7 mph for a SUL) after that you're better using a standard. That said, there are several standards that will fly down to probably 4mph.

From what you say eventually you would probably be best with a UL and a standard, but if you have to go with one kite go for a standard with a good low range.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 12:43 PM »

Hola,

Have you learned how to fly and control a "standard" kite, first ?

Hi Dano, I'm in the process with a Nexus.
I can control it well and try to have a good hand position.
I control turns (push, pull & combined), can start to Stall & Axel.
So I will not smash a kite any more (not that I have at any point though  Cool  )
Cheers,

N.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 12:44 PM »

Simple answer to your question is Norm's Widow Maker sale in the swap meet.  One price - two kites. Smiley

Right Gamelord, but... at a price...  Wink
I will go little by little.

N.

In my bag...
Hadge

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 01:45 PM »

Right Gamelord, but... at a price...  Wink
I will go little by little.

N.

As someone who has spent far too much on kites in the past ( and I'm probably not alone), I can tell you that 'stepping stones', gradually getting better kites, isn't the way to go. Once you're past the nosediver stage and can land the kite safely it's better to go for the best kite you can afford.  It'll be easier to fly and learn on and will last you a long long time.  Those Widow Makers would set you up for a long while and probably work out cheaper in the long run than buying 'stepping stones'.

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 02:32 PM »

Indeed Hadge.

What I meant was that I would first buy one and then the other from the two basic options; i.e. Std & UL

On the other hand, although I know the WidowMaker is a very well considered kite in this forum its design pattern does not really convince me...

So I will be looking for the best one I can afford and with the design that will make me salivate when I see it fly in front of me.  Wink

Thanks all for your comments.

N.

In my bag...
Adamld13

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 03:11 PM »

I do agree with hadge on this one...
My kite bag is FULL of mediocre kites that just dont get flown much.
I am in the market for a widow maker but i do agree that the panel layout is not very appealing.
I find too much colour and panels make a kite look cheap.
If your looking for a good UL for a beginner i would have to say the flying wings silverfoxes are a great choice.
The UL's can def take a beating and are def trick capable.
They sell for around $150-160 canadian depending on whether u want the 2.3 or 2.5
I have every silverfox they make....i might be willing to sell one if your interested.

[attachment deleted by admin to converve server storage space]

Hadge

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 03:25 PM »

I am in the market for a widow maker but i do agree that the panel layout is not very appealing.
I find too much colour and panels make a kite look cheap.
If your looking for a good UL for a beginner i would have to say the flying wings silverfoxes are a great choice.

If you like the Silver Foxes you might want to also take a look at the Flying Wings Soul, very very nice kite, very capable and a real step up from the Silver Fox.

Adamld13

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 06:12 PM »

The soul is an amazing kite!  I have two of them and they both fly great!
Jacobs ladders the best out of all of my kites thats forsure.
Brand new they are not very cheap but i have seen a few go on the swap meet for a fair price.

ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 06:14 PM »

So I will be looking for the best one I can afford and with the design that will make me salivate when I see it fly in front of me. hanks all for your comments.

T.N Wink

this is john's advice when people are having a hard time deciding. great way to go. have fun KO
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 06:18 PM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
B-13
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 04:37 AM »

Ara,
Your quest is something i did sometimes ago Smiley
Sometimes when there will be no wind at all, i would have loved to fly one of those no wind kite and enjoy the feeling of flying something.
Then with experience and as my flying skills got better, i sat at the beach on a no wind day and thought to myself what i would have done if i had a SUL that day. With my flying style which is more of the roll-ups and sometime speedy, an SUL would not fit in my bag and my flying style.
Then one day i came across a deal here for a Zephyr and read some good reviews about it. It has a low wind range, even if more of a L than UL, it will cover the lightest winds i have here and stands the gusts that may arise during that same day/flying sessions.
It was large enough for my tricking style and had the speed i fly in and made me move a lot on the field to keep it in the air.
So think about what you would like to do with a kite and what is your flying style before going for a new kite.
As for sail design and patterns, i think the Zephyr is a good masterpiece Smiley

Wish you good luck in your quest of the perfect kite matching your conditions

p.s: you can check a thread on some shots of the Zephyr from last w.e
http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=6550.0

Proud Member of Kitelife.com #943 Smiley
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 05:39 AM »

Dear B-13,

As usual one great comment from you. Thanks once again.
I will indeed take good note of your point of view.
And I agree the Zephyr is a very nice kite.

And BTW yesterday I had already seen your pictures and they had already started to make me think about it as one serious possibility!!!  Wink
as well as got my salivation going!  Tongue   Wink

Cheers!

N.

In my bag...
onlye
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 07:30 AM »

If you want to fly in winds that are 2 - 4 mph, learning to fly a UL is a great pleasure.  It is a different style and can be very relaxing.  You don't have to spend a great amount for an ok UL.  My first was an HQ City Session.  It flys fine in 3 to 4 mph.  From there I have spend a good deal on very nice UL, SUL and zero wind kites.  It doesn't hurt to "step" into them.

Some ideas you might find "previously loved" for an attractive price

Level One - Easy Lite
Level One - Merlin, Genesis, Century 21, Jumping Jack Flash in a UL (often called extreme) model
   If you can find a nice used Century 21 UL that could be a very good start for a UL
Prism - Flash Light

eric
forum member since 04/21/2001
and still can't fly like those darn videos
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document