GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 05:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Minimalistic wind speed widget for Android  (Read 1782 times)
kairusan
Trade Count: (0)

« on: October 05, 2011, 06:37 PM »

Having recently upgraded (finally) from a miscellaneous regular old cellphone to a ridiculous new Android phone, I of course immediately set about to trying to get some sort of desktop widget on the thing that would display the wind speed at my favorite kite field on a continuous basis. After having tried pretty much every available option and found them wanting in one or more of the following respects:

• Too much eye candy (do I really need half my screen being taken up by some gigantic pretty sun/rain/cloud/tornado icon when all I really care about is the wind speed?)
  • Too big (see item no. 1 about home screen real estate; I prefer to not use multiple home screens because I am just weird I guess)
  • Information overload (I don't care about the 25-day crop forecast three time zones over; just show me the wind speed!), and/or
  • Not enough configurability (can't get it to show the information from the location/wind meter that I want).

But by golly I actually did manage to find something that not only works, but works perfectly, as though it was designed just for absurdly picky kite nerds like myself. It's called "Minimalistic Text" and it's free (including no ads, nice). All it does is display bits of text (including numerals if you wish) that it gets from any number of sources, in a widget that takes up as much or as little space as you wish (including down to a 1x1 space). Takes quite a lot of configuring to get it to do what you want, but the beauty of it is that it's so ridiculously configurable (down to the subpixel level, basically) such that you can get it to do exactly what you want. In my case, I set it up to display the date (since I wish my phone would show me that on my home screen, again without taking up half the screen with eye-candy), battery percentage (ditto), and, most importantly of all, the current readout from the most reliable meter that's closest to my favored kite field. All in plain, easily readable, size-configured, color-configured, font-configured text with no eye-candy background or effects (although one can add them in if one wishes).

I did sort of luck out in that the widget can pull its wind info from one of two weather APIs, and one of those two (Google's) happens to have a location setting that appears to pull data from the exact wind meter that I find most reliable. But you cannot enter a specific source for your weather data, only a location, so YMMV.

You also can customize what the widget does when you click on it (default is to enter the configuration screen). Among the trillions of options (you can basically have it execute any service from any application on the device) is one to "force refresh weather information" for the widget. As I said, perfect. Like, Leeloo-Dallas-multipass perfect.

For those who might also want a windspeed-at-the-favored-field widget, I urge you to give this one a try. Won't work for everyone of course for reasons stated above, and is useless I guess if you need to know info from multiple fields. But still, it's rare to find a bit of software that's so awesome for what one needs it to do, with zero unneeded features, hence the absurd level of fanboyism in this post.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 06:46 PM by kairusan » Logged
emegaz
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 07:59 PM »

This is a great app! Thanks for telling us about it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change