GWTW Forum
October 30, 2014, 12:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Solus: The Smallest 100" Sport Kite You'll Ever Fly  (Read 4150 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: December 03, 2011, 12:29 AM »

clickable linkô

I first flew a Solus at Kite Party 9. It was a prototype and I did my first on-purpose double yo-yo on it. Offered to buy it on the spot.

Months later, I have now flown Kent's custom Solus, most recently, this evening at the Friday night fly. It was also flown by Kent, Darren and Joe from Arizona who comes up on most Fridays. Winds were light  ( 3-6 mph ) and smoother than average for Las Vegas.

You have seen videos by people who are much better fliers than myself. So I will just kind of bullet list the general comments made by all of us.

1 The kite feels much smaller than a 100" kite. In fact, we generally thought it felt more immediate and responsive than the smaller Widow Maker.

2 Although the tow points are quite wide, a hard pull with one hand will put the kite into a one spin stall, which is really a handy way of entering a trick in the middle of the window.

3 While straight lines are achievable, the kite really wants small inputs. I would fly other kites for figures if in a competition. For freestyle, the lines just require a bit more care for figures.

4 I could repeatedly do multiple yo-yos. The kind where you do a small pull in-between revolutions to get the next flip. I have not been able to do this as well on any other kite.

5 I claimed the best Taz Machine for the night with a surprisingly slow, textbook looking TM. This is not an easy trick for me.

6 Joe was doing his more advanced comete, crazy copter type stuff. He too felt the kite belied its size and acted much more like a 7.5 ft trickster than one a full 10 inches bigger.

7. Just remembered. When doing cascades, the one-pop cascades look the same as the two-pop cascade in that the kite flattens to a pancake position in-between the 3 and 9 o-clock positions. I haven't seen other kites flatten in the same way when doing the one-pop input.

So, if you like trick kites, but always felt they had to be somewhere around 2.1 meters to be a real trickster, be prepared for a shock. At 2.54 meters, the Solus defies conventional thinking.

Well done Sky Burner.  Smiley
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 05:02 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 08:57 PM »

Hey Mr. Chilese,
Thanks for the review. Smiley Are you flying it with the longer upperspreader, or the smaller one? Some of them were cut a bit longer by accident and I was just wondering which version you guys are flying out there.

Great pics too! Really like that blue stock color. I've never seen one except for on the colorizer.

Have a good one all,
Devin

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 02:05 AM »

I have been flying with the longer upper spreader. Although shortening the US 1/8" doesn't seem like it would affect the kite too much. But then, I am not the designer.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 01:49 PM »

Give it a shot! Smiley I think it makes the kite a lot more accessible when it comes to better tracking and helps with pitch (especially on the UL) a bit. Again, I'm not quite sure how that smaller spreader makes such a difference. My two first kites have always had them. Give it a shot and let me know what you think either on here or in a PM if you'd like. I'd be curious to hear your opinions. Again, thank you for the review!

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 04:56 PM »

I have been flying with the longer upper spreader. Although shortening the US 1/8" doesn't seem like it would affect the kite too much. But then, I am not the designer.  Smiley
  That 1/8 inch doesn't make a whole lot of difference but it does make a difference.  I took mine out yesterday after making the change and right away the pitch was noticeably crisper and the dead spot in the flare to fade was not nearly as bad.  Tracking seemed to be a bit better with next to no wobble on square corners but it likes push turns for corners better than pull or combo turns.  My UL should be where the big change should be since I had to take off over 1/2 inch of the US to make it the right length.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 05:00 PM by Ca Ike » Logged
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 06:25 AM »

It depends; theres a point where you go from bowing the ULE out from straight to pulling it in. Thats the point where the back of the sail changes from curving the wrong way with the longer spreader to getting straighter and a little loose. If that 1/8 happens to be around that point it can make a lot of difference transitioning between something that rotates to something that pitches.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change