GWTW Forum
December 17, 2014, 03:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting down to choices (after UL or not UL)  (Read 2436 times)
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« on: December 03, 2011, 03:39 PM »

Hi,

After all the great info that I have received from many of you in the "To UL or not to UL..." topic, I'm now getting to final choices.
I have configured my list of kites to have them in front of me and sorted by price (not by preference).
You can see the list at:
http://goo.gl/Kw4bR

My preferences at this point seem to be the following:
* Toxic (R-Sky)
* Soul (Flying Wings)
* Black Pearl STD (Level One)

Because of price range and because of design (remember I'm currently flying a Nexus).

I have been thinking about a good question that B-13 asked which is what I think my flying style is or will be.
I think I like entering the tricks world but I will be one of those that likes to have each trick recognisable and not do forty tricks one after the other frantically.
Also I think I will like some precision and smooth (but fastish) flying.

On the other hand, as I said, in my area I have gusty winds, although in summer I've been told we have pretty steady breezes at the beach (I have still not been able to taste them since I only started flying in October).
For example, today we were having: low 0-1km/h; avg. 7km/h; gusts 22-24km/h

So what would you doctors say is my best medicine?  Wink

Thanks!

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 04:03 PM »

You didn't tell us which one you thought looked the best to you.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Hadge

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 04:11 PM »

Not heard to much about the Toxic - R-sky build quality has been a bit so-so in the past.
The Black Pearl is one of the latest must have kites, nice but expensive.

My choice personally would be the Soul - I have one and it's a great kite, Build quality is excellent, smooth as a hot knife through butter, vary capable, decent precision, standard will go down to about 4mph up to about 15-18mph before it really starts to pull, easy to fly- it doesn't need any special inputs.  A very under-rated kite and a good price too. I wish I could get another one but it's yet another kite we can't easily get in the UK.

Have you looked at the HQ Infinity? Another very good all round kite.

A couple of reviews.

R-Sky Toxic

Flying Wings Soul
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 04:24 PM by Hadge » Logged

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
emegaz
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 08:10 PM »

I've flown the Black Pearl UL, Deepspace and Infinity STD. Id say the Infinty would be more friendly to a beginner. The Black Pearl is nice but it does require more work then the Infinity.

I think I like entering the tricks world but I will be one of those that likes to have each trick recognisable and not do forty tricks one after the other frantically.

I dont think the deepspace would suit you then.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 08:34 PM »

The Widow Maker is your best bet. For the winds you describe, it fits great. The WM flies like you describe, tricky when you want, precise if you want, and always forgiving. I bought mine because I always wanted to try one, not because I liked the way it looked. Turns out to be my most flown kite (out of over 50) to the point where I hardly fly anything else. I got over the looks issue, and actually find the pattern easier to follow than most when the kite is in different positions.

Sky Burner Widow Maker... August 2011.

Ara Ararauna

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 12:07 AM »

You didn't tell us which one you thought looked the best to you.

Hi Chilese,

Well, from the 11 kites I list in the link I provide (http://goo.gl/Kw4bR), I do say I prefer three:
* Toxic (R-Sky)
* Soul (Flying Wings)
* Black Pearl STD (Level One)

However, the WM (although I don't like the pattern) seems to keep "haunting" me constantly through many flyers...  Wink

What is your recommendation Chilese. I have seen you give very clean and sharp advise  Smiley

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 12:21 AM »

BTW,

Maybe, my choice of those three is absolutely a wrong match with my definition of style.  Smiley
So feel free to contradict me as RobB has done  Wink

Thanks,

N.

In my bag...
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 01:13 AM »

I have not flown all of the kites on your list.

And what I like may not be what you like.

Of the kites I have flown I like (in no particular order)

Exile
Soul
Black Pearl
Widow Maker
Talon
Infinity

Another thing to consider is if you would ever go for a complete set: UL, std, vented.

The Talon and Infinity can be had in all 3 configurations.

And then you get to consider:

Do you want custom colors? That would rule out the Infinity.

The choices are the fun part.

Don't get what I like. Get what you think you would like.
Although I would suggest not getting the Hypnotist, Silver Fox or Zephyr. But then, I would add the Quantum Pro, although old by many people's standards, it is still an outstanding kite and available in multiple configurations.

And as Allen Carter has often said, even if you don't like a kite, you can sell it on the Swap Meet and you have merely rented it.

Come to Las Vegas for a Friday night fly. Between several of us, we have all those kites.  Smiley

I am also biased. I have more Ken McNeill kites than any other manufacturer (if you don't count stacks as separate kites).
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 11:29 AM by chilese » Logged

Ara Ararauna

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 05:07 AM »

Thanks Chilise!  Smiley

I'll think about the combinations Std, UL, Vented & color options.
Indeed these are points to consider.

Thanks.

In my bag...
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 05:13 AM »

BTW, I wished I could join you in Las Vegas.
It would surely be awesome and I would learn so much.
Although it is a bit far from Barcelona, if I ever go there I'll drop you a message.  Smiley

Cheers!

N.

In my bag...
Hadge

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 06:18 AM »

Another thing to consider is if you would ever go for a complete set: UL, std, vented.

The Talon and Infinity can be had in all 3 configurations.

As far as I know at the moment there isn't an Infinity UL - at least not an official one.  There are a couple of standards that have been modified the UL spec and I know HQ have been toying around with their own. I have heard a whisper of a rumour that there may be an Infinity UL next year which would make sense as it would complete a very nice set of kites.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 11:29 AM »

Oops.

I left out the Infinity from the list of kites I've flown and liked.

The Infinity is a lot of kite for the money.

Sorry. I'll go correct the list.  Huh

Ara Ararauna

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 02:38 PM »

Hi everyone,

I'm starting to get convinced that the kite I want is a Soul (in yellow/orange)  Smiley

I've read really good reviews about it being precise and controllable, but still very good for tricks. So it kind of sounds good to me for the definition I provided of my flying style. And I really like its design.

I only have a doubt which I would appreciate getting some comments on:

Would it be like, "strange" to have a Soul as a second kite after a Nexus?

I mean, would I be "atypical"?
Could it hinder my learning in anyway?

My second option is starting to be the WidowMaker just because I see so many fliers recommend it. Although it is a bit more expensive (I would rather stay under the $250 limit as much as possible) and the design really does not appeal to me (neither outline shape nor sail pattern).

The Infinity is nice but the sail is a bit dull...
(You can tell I'm still no good flyer since I tend to give more importance to design than to practical flying issues, but I guess I must also be motivated to fly)

I envy all of you in the US with such active kite clubs. Here I have nobody to chat with and no fellows that can let me try out other models and get a better idea of what they are like. I guess this is why I'm bothering you so much...  Embarrassed  Sad

Any further help will be appreciated.  Smiley
Thanks!

In my bag...
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 03:38 PM »

Out of the three you mentioned, I'd say Soul, Soul, Soul.  Highly underrated, very capable kite.  Good build quality, great trickster, better than average in the UL and Vented models.

HOWEVER...

I L-O-V-E my Widowmaker more than my Soul.  But it is more expensive to buy.

Either of these will be a great step up from what you're flying now.  You won't be disappointed by either of them

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2011, 04:16 PM »

Would it be like, "strange" to have a Soul as a second kite after a Nexus?
You will laugh out loud as you find out how much more trickable a high end kite is.

The Infinity is nice but the sail is a bit dull...
This is the kite I fly the most and find the Infinity sail, while lacking color is the most interesting of any kite I own. Plus I would buy an UL if ever sold. Like the Soul it is a great value and worth consideration.

I envy all of you in the US with such active kite clubs. Here I have nobody to chat with and no fellows that can let me try out other models and get a better idea of what they are like.

I have the great opportunity to attend the Friday night fly in Las Vegas. It is wonderful to fly many of these high end kites.  I'm ready to buy an UL but I still can not decide, as all are great kites.

To me, you are chosing a flying partner to spend months or years together developing your skills and learning new tricks.

So feel comfortable with any choice you make knowing you can not go wrong.   Smiley

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum