GWTW Forum
April 20, 2014, 07:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rods for the Vented Rev  (Read 3635 times)
Dano
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: May 04, 2009, 01:17 PM »

I have a standard 1.5 equipped with race rods for the LE and the original 3 wrap verticals.
I really like that LE

I also have a Full vented 1.5 that id like to bring down the low-end range and soften it up a bit with a LE. It currently has the SLE and Advantage Stiff verticals (6 wrap - is my understanding).
Id also like to not compromise its ability to handle 20-25 mph gusts.

Considering
1- 4 wraps to replace everything, thinking RRs or 3 wrap might be a bit weak for high winds.
2- A 4 wrap center and P300s cut down for the rest of the rods. JCs vented project raised my curiosity on the use of the less expensive P rods.

What would you suggest, besides buying a B-series  Undecided
kiten00b
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 01:32 PM »

I use the race rods in my vented sle, but am careful not to fly in strong winds
it really helps the vented in medium winds (about 8mph- 15 or so)
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 01:37 PM »

I believe some folks double up the LE for high wind. The 3 wrap and 2 wrap at the same time. MAkes good use of standard sticks if you have 'em. I don't know about if there are any durability worries, crushing the lite sticks, etc. Also don't know about the race/3 combo. I like my vented so much, I plan to play around with this stuff soon.

Allen, AKA kitehead
rxburner
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 01:45 PM »

Advantage = 4 Wrap

I think the 3 Wrap (Ultra Light) is ideal for most winds in the Vented 1.5. I fly the Race Rods also lighter winds 7 - 12
For your 20-25 MPH winds a 4 Wrap Leading Edge would be advised.
Most people don't fly the SLE Rods anymore.
Rx
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 01:47 PM by rxburner » Logged
kitelover

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 06:50 PM »

Some of us still like the SLE. Rarely see them break without a slipped ferrule.
rxburner
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 07:28 PM »

Some of us still like the SLE. Rarely see them break without a slipped ferrule.
Sorry ... no slight intended...
Rx
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 09:03 PM by rxburner » Logged
SKITCH
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 08:27 PM »

I broke my SLE's.....not fun. 

Also, a really good use for the SLE's is as a kite stake when you forget your regular one!!! Tongue

P

Patrick

pgibble on the "old" forum

I fully appreciate the ability of trees to attract kites. They have special powers that way.

Charlie Dunton
Kitelife
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 01:17 AM »

rxburner has it right on, he's got a lot of air time, and is a budding team flier too. Smiley

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 09:29 AM »

It seems that if you are in to team flying you want the bendie frame and the stretched sail. The idea is that the kite handles gusts well and can be held in position for team formations. Many of the team Revs look as though the LE is bent into an almost C shape as the winds picked up.

However, there are those of us who like more responsive kites with a straighter LE and a flatter sail. This setup looks like it would be used more for the individual flier than the team thing.

I am open to comments on this.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+47)

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 09:35 AM »

Interesting theory, John. I'd like to hear the answer to that one, too.

Bob
CTaylor
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 10:39 AM »

Flexible frames and worn sails really help with precision.  Magic sticks also help with frame deformation from stronger winds.  I've flown a P200 LE in 15-20mph winds on a vented rev.

bobw

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 08:32 PM »

I've got a standard vented.  In the 20 MPH range, I like either a 4-wrap, or a doubled up leading edge.  A bit below 20, I find the 3 wrap works quite well, and in the 8-15 (or so) the Race Rods work.

In your stated goal (20-25) I'd say a 4-wrap frame, or a combo of 4-wrap leading edge and 3 wrap verticals.  FYI, I'd say the P400 rods compare nicely to the 3-wrap rods.
Dano

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 08:50 PM »

In your stated goal (20-25) I'd say a 4-wrap frame, or a combo of 4-wrap leading edge and 3 wrap verticals. 

I like that 4-3 idea!
bobw

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 11:00 AM »

You may want to mix rods.  A lighter vertical rod tends to flex/cup more and give you a bit more lift.  I've been playing with skyshark rods and I've been tending to use P300 LE, P200 verticals, or for lighter winds, a p300 center LE, with p100s on the outer LE and verticals.

If conditions tend to exceed the P300/200 mix, I'll shift up to the vented kite.  And when I'm in the Vented, and if its gusty, I usually want to deaden the whole mix (since its windy) and go directly to a 4-wrap, or double up the LE (and fly like a mack truck)  Tongue
Dano

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 12:28 PM »

I think i got this figured out, with your guys help.

Std. - Buy 2 more RR's to make it an all race rod frame.

Vented - use the 3-wrap verticals from the std.
 Buy a 4-wrap center LE, and try the p300's on each end of that.

That should cover me for 2-20/25mph shouldn't it?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography