GWTW Forum
October 01, 2014, 05:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Explain "high aspect ratio" please  (Read 3234 times)
Magpiesfooty
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 07:07 PM »

I'm sorry but I am confused.  Someone please enlighten me.  Would not a "High" aspect mean that the height of the kite, relative to the wing span, is taller,  and not shorter, as it has been explained?   The middle number in a tire size is the Aspect  Ratio and it is based on the the Percentage the height is of the width, which would explain that  70 series tire is generally taller than a 60 series and a 60 taller than a 50 and so forth, depending on the original width of the tire, of course.  Higher aspect ratio would then mean that the closer the height of the kite is to the width, the higher the ratio would be.   A Rogallo shaped kite would be considered a high aspect ratio kite,  24" tall and 24"  wide the ratio would be 100% and a Fire Dart (shorter, much wider...) kite would be considered a low aspect ratio kite  30" t by 100" w ratio would be 30 percent. The Geo Sport kite in my profile pic would be considered a lower profile kite.
As examples....  Right??  Am I missing something?? 

Magpiesfooty
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 07:15 PM by Magpiesfooty » Logged
Makalu1
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 07:46 PM »

I see what you mean.  Good to check the specs, not just appearances.
Thanks again,

Scott

Scott Madsen
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 10:27 PM »

well lets use the Blue Moon Mamba & Mongoose that were asked about early. When the kite magazine publishers began using the term "High Aspect Ratio" and "Low Aspect Ratio" when reviewing kites they used the simple width / height = A (aspect ratio) so using our examples

The Mamba is 94" wide and 47" tall,  so    97 / 47 = 2.00

The Mongoose is 94.5" wide and 42.5" tall,  so    94.5 / 42.5 = 2.22

The Mongoose is a "Higher Aspect Ratio Kite" - the product of our equation is higher then the Mamba's - The Mamba just happens to be a classic Aspect Ratio Neutral kite at 2.00 so it's perfect to include here since originally that was the line we used as the break between high & low.

I don't pretend using this to define kites is relevant at all, it got started back when our delta wing stunt kites were first being developed and has unfortunately stuck as an attempt to describe the angle or sweep of the wings, but it doesn't even accurately define that. A more accurate definition would be to simply state the actual wing angle in degrees but that gets into actually measuring angles or doing too much math and is 92 degrees verses 91 degrees going to have any more meaning or relevance? Then of course you run into 'how do you define the angle of a kite having a curved leading edge?'

It's just a descriptive definition. I personally like the looks of High Aspect kites more then Low Aspect kites but my current favorite kite has a Lower Aspect Ratio then most of the current crop of Sport Kites.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 10:38 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Magpiesfooty
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2011, 04:03 PM »

Seems bass akwards to me.  I believe you though Mike.  I do have an excuse however, I am left handed.

Thanks.

Magpiesfooty
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2011, 05:23 PM »

Cheesy   Smiley

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Magpiesfooty
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2011, 05:58 PM »

I have looked it up, and although it seems backwards to me, Aspect Ratio is defined the long length divided by the shorter length.  So you are correct.  I have seen the light!!  I am healed!!  LOL!!

Thanks. 

Magpiesfooty
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document