GWTW Forum
November 28, 2014, 07:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: knotty Rev Problems  (Read 869 times)
deutsch
Trade Count: (0)

« on: December 05, 2011, 07:41 AM »

Hello, All,

I have a new B Series vented Rev!  I am a purely recreational flyer, nothing fancy.  Here's the question: There are just too many knots connecting to the Rev handles.  Can anyone, in simple terms, explain to me when and how to attach the lines to make this baby fly?  I have owned a Rev ii forever and I can fly it fairly well, so I do have some knowledge of Rev flying.

I hope someone will have an answer and will enjoy helping me out.

Thanks in advance,
Deutsch
Dano
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 08:44 AM »

I'll guess you are talking about the longer adjustment lines for fine tuning.

are they long on only the top, bottom, or both ends?
b-series  Wink shold be long on the top..

connect to lines on bottom 1 or 2 knots out from the hanfle
Top lines 3-4 out knots out from handle.

If your pull to launch does not get the kite up in the air, you might try pulling back 1 knot
close to handles on the top line.

this answer should at least get you up in the flying. Revforum has many posts explaining this more for you.  Wink
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 08:53 AM »

The above reply is close for most personal preferences. Once you fly the kite a little, you'll find the combination that fits your personal preference. Moving the top lines to knots out away from the handles adds brake and moving the top lines in to closer knots adds more forward drive.

Set-up knot selection also depends on the balancing point for neutral flight that you use on the handles: balance on index finger near top of handles, balance on middle finger near the bend in handles, or some other balancing point. Again, it depends on your personal preference.

Other trivia: Full sail Rev 2 is my favorite, followed by the vented 1.5 and vented 2. After flying the 2s a lot in high winds, I tend to over-do the inputs on the 1.5s and get bow ties. It takes a while for my brain to recalibrate. The vented versions fly smoother and allow for a little more slop in the inputs. I tend to get lazy and pay the recalibration price when going back to full sail versions.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 09:14 AM by lylenc » Logged

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 09:05 AM »

This will be a nice read for you: http://www.gwtwforum.com/pdf/revbook.pdf

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Dano
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 09:38 AM »

The above reply is close for most personal preferences. Once you fly the kite a little, you'll find the combination that fits your personal preference. Moving the top lines to knots out away from the handles adds brake and moving the top lines in to closer knots adds more forward drive...

Thanks!! I had to get to work, so i only gave the brief version.  Grin
REVflyer
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 06:55 AM »

I say to get comfortable with the kite flying inverted first of all.  Start with the leading edge sitting on the ground, slightly and slowly press your thumbs forward, toward the kite,  It should back-up, if not move the leader adjustment knots further away from your hands (add DOWN) on the tops ormove the leaders closer to your hands on the bottom adjustments.

Fly the kite inverted to shoulder high, hold it stationary, then slow, slow, slowly lower it back to the ground.  do this six times!  now relax and go fly around for a few minutes.  Keep coming back to your inverted practice until it's second nature.  You should be able to back-up inverted to the top of the wind window,... this will take many hundreds of hours of practice to make it look smooth and effortless.

All this reverse flight will eventually find your top leaders adjustments set-out as far as possible.  The kite won't have any forward drive at all, it will only go forward when you demand it to, no more furious surging bursts of forward flight, racing to the top of the window.

You know you have the proper amount of DOWN in your tuning when the kite will back-up (fly in reverse).  Otherwise you might as well cut two lines off and just fly dualie-style, 'cause you're not using what the kite was designed for anyway!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum