GWTW Forum
December 20, 2014, 10:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why can't I backflip my Nexus?  (Read 1529 times)
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« on: December 05, 2011, 02:16 PM »

Hi,

There are two things I'm trying and trying with my Nexus but cannot manage to do.

One is to get a good snap stall. Somehow it doesn't snap and it keeps going as fast as it was but in another direction. But this could still be because my wrists are not sufficiently trained yet...

The second I find more intriguing. I fly the Nexus straight up and rapidly give a lot of slack (even run towards it) and nothing. The kite is still flying straight up. It does slow down a lot showing I'm giving plenty of slack but it just does not want to backflip!    Sad

Any tips will be greatly appreciated

N.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Texanpilot
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 06:31 PM »

My diagnosis is that you may not be aggressive enough on the lines.

First, how much wind are you flying in?    Is the kite fairly zooming around the sky, or is it just creeping along, making you work to keep it up?  It sounds like you have some pretty good wind.  In higher winds, you have to throw a LOT more slack at the kite to trick it, especially as you're learning the tricks. 

For the snap stall, you need a good firm snap, then - most importantly, start feeding slack to keep the kite stalled.  If your winds are in the mid-range or higher, you may have to run at the kite to maintain the stall. 

On the backflip, it sometimes help to very quickly pop both lines and then immediately throw the slack at the kite.  You want just a quick loading of the sail before dumping all the air out of it.  It's almost a single motion of pop-throw.

I'm sure other will have other good advice, but these things have helped me.

Steady winds, y'all.
B-13
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 06:46 PM »

Ara,
Seems like you are having fun with this little rocket kite Smiley
I had some difficulties too in stalling my nexus as it requested another kind of input compared to my other kites.
For snap stall, as it is a rapid kite, your input need to be more rapid but less snappy. A too slow snap will just make it point straight then continues to fly and a too rapid snap will cause overturn here.
Also wind will be a factor that will determinate how much input and how fast it should be. You will want to (If flying from left to right) pull the upper wing (left) then immediately (very immediately for the Nexus) pull the lower wing (right) then immediately give slack. Walk in normal winds or just run in higher ones. This is a good exercise i missed from the beginning and was too busy learning other tricks.
For the backflip, here winds will play a lot but the trick than may help you is to start up the window, with the hands fully over your head, then take the hands down almost to ground (keeping the kite straight) then give a sharp pull (just like a whip on the lines) then immediately move your hands to normal position. Then hold your backflip depending on the winds, walk forward or backward and recover when needed.
Key here is to give this sharp pull and release immediately. The whip like pull will just shake wind off the sail and the immediate slack from you will make the kite fall nose down belly up in a turtle position.

Hope this helps you as i thanks all those who helped me before to understand this.

B

Proud Member of Kitelife.com #943 Smiley
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 07:02 PM »

You may want to practice in NO WIND.  Huh

Put the kite on very short lines like under 30 feet.

Launch the kite with a hard pull and practice different release moves right after that.

Try quick pushes.
Try sweeping pushes.
Whatever you can think of.

All you are looking for is the kite to fall backward when you release the pressure you have built up on the sail with your initial hard pull.

When you find the move that works, try it when the kite is flying on normal length lines, but over on the side of the window where the pull is less. As you get better, try moving the kite more into the power zone and keep practicing. Hope that helps.  Smiley
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 07:04 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 08:14 AM »

OK!

This morning there was too little wind so I had a hard time keeping the kite in the air.

BUT at some point, during around 4 minutes, there was a regular gentle breeze that kept the kite gently well in the air and allowed me to fly it to the top of the window.
Then I made it dive, nose straight down.
I quickly gave slack and then gently but quickly pulled back and I managed to get the kite into a FADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Huh  Shocked  Huh  Shocked
YES!  Cheesy

It did not stay long in the belly-up-nose-towards-me position but it was indeed a complete fade! I just can't believe it.
What a great feeling!   Grin

I then also managed to get the kite to make a backflip but it did not stay long, but at least it did lye belly-up-nose-away-from-me for two seconds.

So I think that the previous days I had been trying this, the wind was way too strong. Because I really did try it the way I did it today, but the kite just refuses to react when the wind is strong. Even if I really run towards the kite.

Anyway, so although the success was 4 minutes out of 2 hours ( Sad ) I feel great today and wish I could be flying for hours on end!

Thanks for your help and support!

N.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 12:37 PM »

Another thing that will help you in both your snap stalls and your back flips is the bridle adjustments.  Setting your kite heavy will aid a ton in doing both of those tricks.  When the kite is set light, the kite has so much forward drive that it is harder to stall or flip.

Light setting - nose pulled towards you. Easier to fly in lighter wind days.
Heavy setting - nose let back away from you. Better for stronger wind days.

Hope that helps.

*fixed error, thanks Godfather.....
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 12:59 PM by Gamelord » Logged

chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 12:45 PM »

I believe the middle part about nose direction is reversed Gamelord.  Huh

Here is my modified wording.  Smiley

Heavy setting -  nose let back away from you. Better for moderate wind days.

Light setting -    nose pulled towards you. Easier to fly in lighter wind days and saves the kite in very strong winds.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 12:48 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 01:26 PM »

I wonder if you could gain something out of adding weight as well??

Sine Metu!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum