GWTW Forum
September 30, 2014, 05:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone been successful bringing the Prism Zephyr hard case on a plane?  (Read 1373 times)
jeepersjoey
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: December 07, 2011, 07:32 PM »

I have the Zephyr hard case and have it packed with lots of kite and string.

I want to walk on a plane Friday with this case in tow.

Have any of you been successful doing this?  Did anyone give you trouble?  Did you have to check it once you got to the plane?  Any recommendations?

I am nervous and do not want to figure out what to do with $1000 of kites if I get stopped.

Recommendations?
Paul

"May you live until you die, no more, no less" - Eddie Izzard

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
Wayner
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 08:43 PM »

Great question. Travel 2 weeks ago, I was not sure what the rules were so I left my sports kites at home  Cry   
Packed some single line foils instead, worked out well had high wind entire trip.  Grin

I was able to take 3 items on board.
  Carryone luggage
  a personal item "briefcase" (purse for my wife) not sure if a Zepher hard case is a personnal item. Huh
  and an umbrella.

I flew on Southwest and US Airways. Had to store the umbrella in the overhead compartment, but no problem. Lots of the open space above luggage in the overhead bin.

goestoeleven
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 09:10 PM »

Well, I don't have a Zephyr hard case, but I've carried various kites on planes with good luck in the past.  My travel has varied from two kites stuffed into a single sleeve with lines & handles in my rolling suitcase, mailing tubes with 3-4 kites, a big "blueprint" tube with 4-5 kites, and finally an ITW bag stuffed full of probably 8-10 revolutions, single line kites, and line sets (for a family trip where I wanted to have kites for me & my kids to fly together.  No problems with either American or Southwest.  One caveat - I have NEVER tried to carry on a ground stake, and I have put handles / line sets in the checked luggage when traveling with the whole family. 

I think you'll probably be OK with the hard case.  It will fit well in the overhead either behind the other luggage or on top. 

How many kites are you going to stuff in there?  It doesn't look that big . . . .
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 09:33 PM »

I have taken kites on a few trips and travel alot for work. I took 4 kites with le broken down and velcroed strapped together, no issues.
Don't make jokes about them being anything other then kites and say they are kites and nothing else. Golf clubs, bats, tools are not allowed as carry ons so you don't want anyone thinking they are that.
Just be careful when putting them in the overhead, passengers and flight attendants can be rough putting anything in them.
I fly 90% on southwest and recommend them.
Ymmv

Sine Metu!
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 04:09 AM »

Poster tube.  XTs.  Everywhere.  NEVER a problem.  If you have a 2 part LE, most single kites will fit in a tube of 'normal' dimensions.  I have a black plastic telescoping tube for art work (super cheap) that I always use.  Two kites fit when your arrange them opposite to each other, albeit tighter.

I have never understood how flying with a kite or two could ever be a problem.  They always seem happy after I show them exactly how big it is (and harmless). 

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+50)

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 07:31 AM »

I've carried on kites in the Z hard case, cardboard tubes, velcroed together, rubber banded together, loose, etc. Never had a problem.

But I'd pack the ground stake just to be sure.

Bob
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 09:41 AM »

actually traveling onto a plane with the zephyr case is probably better than a kite bag since it is so easy to open and show what is inside it.....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 02:24 PM »

actually traveling onto a plane with the zephyr case is probably better than a kite bag since it is so easy to open and show what is inside it.....

I've never even had to open the Zeph case..........just run it through x-ray, carry it on and stow both of them in the overhead.

I have been asked by cabin personell what was in it, and when told had them roll their eyes a few times.........Obviously not kite geeks Sad

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
jeepersjoey

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 05:42 PM »

You guys rock!

I was very nervous and in panic mode last night.  I went to TSA and they allow fishing rods and poles so I was going to go with that if asked.

I really appreciate it.

Paul

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
boomzilla
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 10:46 PM »

are flights out of country any different for a carry on poster tube sized kite package?

donaldrke
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 03:52 AM »

Earlier this year took my Zephyr and Case with me and Had no problems at all. at the Dallas airport they asked what it was after they scanned it. They ask me to open it and they looked and I went on my way. I Got more looks from other passengers then I did from Airport security. I did have a label on it saying kites on it. nothing too big just took a label maker and put it on both sides, about 3" long. Should not have a problem.

Donald
Got Wind? Kite club.

Member of Got Wind?
Donald
Jeepster
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 07:55 AM »

You guys rock!

I was very nervous and in panic mode last night.  I went to TSA and they allow fishing rods and poles so I was going to go with that if asked.

I really appreciate it.

Paul

If the TSA and airline "rules" were fixed and applied consistently, life with kites would be much easier.  Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on your point of view, they aren't.  Some will tell you that they use their Rev roll-up bag as a carry on and haven't been stopped.  But, since the Rev bag doesn't even come close to meeting the carry-on size limits, some folks have been hit with gate checking and/or excess baggage fees.  If you don't mind gambling and are able to go with the flow, that's not really a problem.

If you want to be as hassle free as possible, get a copy of the airline rules and carry it with you.  It won't guarantee that you'll not be questioned, but it'll set the tone that you've already checked and are probably in compliance with the rules.  I once heard, that when confronted, David Gomberg makes a bet with the individual ... if David's right he gets an upgrade and if he's wrong he'll pay the extra fees with a smile.  BTW ... buy David a drink some time and ask him if he likes to mess with TSA.

I travel with both Revs and big kites, hate to bet on a friendly TSA agent, and hate to pay for extra baggage.  Thus, this is my methodology:

The Rev rods are pulled from my kites and inserted into a $20 fly rod case that has been cut down to slightly less than the airline maximum.  If you tell the average person that you fly kites, they wonder if you're taking your meds ... but, if they see you with a fly rod case they tend to say "yes sir" a lot.  The fly rod case counts as a personal item.

The large kites and inflatables are all spar-less.  Those go into a compression sack ... amazing how much they can hold.  The sack is sized to meet the carry-on maximums.  Actually, since the sides assume a round shape, it's a little too wide for the official maximum size limits.  But, if called on it or I find the overhead compartment is too slim, the compression straps are let out a little and one of the side dimensions is squeezed to fit. Again, this is my carry-on piece of luggage.

The checked piece of luggage contains the Rev kites (rolled up around a piece of water pipe insulation), ground stakes for the Rev (buy some cheap re-bar stakes for the large kites if you can't borrow some at the flying field), lines, straps, etc..  And, the rest of the room is given over to clothes.

The only hiccup I've had with this process was coming out of Mexico one time when they wanted to do a boarding inspection on my compression bag.  I was one of the last dozen people to board the aircraft, they'd just smiled and waved through a guy that looked like one of the FBI's top ten most wanted terrorists, and now they want to inspect the compression sack of a white haired old man!!!  My wife keeps telling me not to tilt at windmills ... well, her actual words are "don't be so childish."  Couldn't help it ... went into a passive aggressive mode ... told them they were welcome to inspect it, but it would take at least ten minutes ... and it did ... I made sure of that!!  After the inspection, everyone was most helpful to see that I got to the plane without any further delay ... seems I was the last to board.

Cheers,
Tom
boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 09:13 AM »

Six times, never a question.
jeepersjoey

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 07:36 PM »

Alrighty!  No problems.

On the way back the board TSA (there were 3 people in line and 15 TSA agents) ran it in and out of the X-ray and finally came over and asked me what was in there.

I said, you are welcome to open it.  They are competion stunt kites.

Huh?

Competition stunt kites.  Two and four line kites that are hand made for competition.

He asked again and then said "never mind".

Off I went!

Interestingly enough, I also carried on a Tensor 4.2 with strings and bar stuck in my backpack.  I bought it for $100 earlier that day from a guy in the park.  Oh yea, when I was sitting in the airport I bought a NEW Prism Ozone.  hehe

So...no problems at all.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document