GWTW Forum
November 24, 2014, 08:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CONUS CONUS CONUS :(  (Read 2525 times)
Adamld13
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: December 07, 2011, 09:48 PM »

Really guys and gals...Is shipping to Canada that much of a pain?
Like ive said many times in the past its such a shame to have such a great forum
with nobody wanting to ship out of the states Cry
Im wondering if fellow flyers who have shipped north can give some feedback as far
as what they have experienced? Is it really a pain or merely myth?

Thnx!

tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 10:55 PM »

I've shipped a few to Canada, Italy, and France with no issues other than having to fill out a customs form which only takes a few minutes.  Well, that, and deciphering a French address in order to fill out the form!  Smiley

As long as the buyer is willing to cover the additional shipping cost, Ive had no problems or issues at all.

I usually ship USPS Priority International.

6 kite tom
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+83)

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 11:03 PM »

+1

I've shipped to the UK, South Korea, Singapore, etc.  No issues whatsoever except maybe odd size restrictions depending on where it's going.

As long as the extra cost is covered it's no problem.

-Mike
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 04:14 AM »

I have shipped items to Canada for friends that wanted items that would have been prohibitive for them to have mailed from retailers who only used FedEx or UPS.... shipped USPS International Priority without any problem.

FWIW: It is next to impossible to get folks to ship kites they are selling on other forums from the UK to the US.  I have been told flat out that they don't trust the mail system on their side to botch things.   There have been a few kites that I have been unable to get as a result.

ATB,
Sam
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 09:40 AM »

i have shipped to a number of countries without serious issues.....Canada what i have noticed is that customs like to hold onto things for a bit of time.....
but i would have no reserve in shipping to you, just plan on the time lag..

Receiving from the UK: i get boxes from the UK every couple of months without any issues as well.....hmm...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Zach
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 09:46 AM »

To be fair, most listing say "Free shipping ConUS"

not "no shipping outside of the US"

it's the "free" that's the key.
B-13
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 10:24 AM »

i bought all of my kites from Steve except the first one before i knew him. I am far far faaaarrrrr away from the US and all my kites, parts ans accessories arrived safely. Shipping to Mauritius cost me more than USD30 for a kite  Sad but that's the price to pay if you want service.
I'm sure everyone is willing to ship anywhere on earth but buyer is to cover shipping of course

Proud Member of Kitelife.com #943 Smiley
Adamld13

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 10:42 AM »

Yes Zach you are right. I wrote this post because of my first hand experiences buying kites on the forum, not just observing the swap meet. Some people do have conus yet are still willing to ship as Long as I cover the costs, others act as If shipping to Canada involves weeks of paper work and inevitable problems during shipping. I have worked out deals but as soon as the person find out I'm In Canada they immediately lose interest. That's why now I immediately start by telling a person where Im located. In my experience more often than not conus means the seller doesn't want to ship out of the states.

onlye
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 10:43 AM »

I believe when a poster says CONUS it is based on not knowing what to expect.

Maybe 10 kites shipped to Canada with only one problem shipment.  The drawbacks are:

*It is more expensive
*Customs form is a minor pain
*USPS is only affordable option.  ( when I checked a couple times Fed-Ex/UPS were more than twice the cost)
*When insured the values of insurance and custom form should match - meaning exposure or more taxes for the Canadian recipient
*Delivery takes longer and can't estimate the arrival
*Due to USPS no tracking of package available
*Regular kite swappers have a general idea of US USPS cost, don't know what to expect for International cost

All in all not a total deal killer but I prefer to ship inside the US.   Usually agree to non US shipping for a forum member with some history here.

Have shipped to Singapore and a couple other countries without issue.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 10:47 AM by onlye » Logged

eric
forum member since 04/21/2001
and still can't fly like those darn videos
Adamld13

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 10:54 AM »

B-13,

Yes you would def think that location shouldn't matter but I def have missed out on at
least 5-6 kites that I can think of because of my location. Also I have only been active on this forum for maybe a year or so. It could just be my luck too I guess. Maybe to balance this thread out we will hear from some people who don't like shipping out of the states and what stories they have.

Thnx!

Danno419
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 12:37 PM »

Maybe 10 kites shipped to Canada with only one problem shipment.  The drawbacks are:

*It is more expensive
*USPS is only affordable option.  ( when I checked a couple times Fed-Ex/UPS were more than twice the cost)
*When insured the values of insurance and custom form should match - meaning exposure or more taxes for the Canadian recipient
*Regular kite swappers have a general idea of US USPS cost, don't know what to expect for International cost

All in all not a total deal killer but I prefer to ship inside the US.   Usually agree to non US shipping for a forum member with some history here.

*its more expensive - only slightly and it would be expected for the buyer to pay any additional cost.
*customs form is a minor pain - which part? - the declaration of what the item is, the value or name & address?... i do believe you would have to fill out the exact same info, should you insure a domestic shipment
*When insured the values of insurance and custom form should match - meaning exposure or more taxes for the Canadian recipient - Mark it as a gift - no additional cost to anyone. (outside of actual cost of insurance)
*Delivery takes longer and can't estimate the arrival - It is going across a border - only hold up would be customs clearance.... but if you arent adding a kilo of this or that, it would only be a couple of days, max
*Due to USPS no tracking of package available - there certainly is tracking available, in fact its standard on priority shipping. (note: If using USPS or Canadapost, both do share tracking systems to some degree, so you can track the same package from either website)
*Regular kite swappers have a general idea of US USPS cost, don't know what to expect for International cost - Add approx $10 - with postal codes or zip codes, quoting shipping cost is easy. (excluding rural or remote areas)

The only difference between between domestic US shipping and shipping from US to Canada or visa/versa is the 8 words and the few numbers you would have to write... and of course the additional (small) cost.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 12:41 PM by Danno419 » Logged

JoE Talon UL #4
JoE Talon STD #138
Zephyr
4D
Acrobatx
Snapshot 1.2 & 2.5
Hmmmm Talon vent or SUL next... decisions decisions.
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 02:24 PM »

*It is more expensive

• well, of course it is going to be more expensive....more than one shipping service is invloved..everyone wants their piece of pie!
  • Customs form are done for me via USPS ship on line-i do not even have to sign them
  • Generally if you are shipping something insured is when the other shipping options are no longer cost effective
  • They should match if you actually care about the item in there...i have had customers that requested not insuring the package and lowering the value on the form-but that is their choice
  • When something is sitting in customs and the location is unknown that sucks, but they do tell you when it is delivered at the least.....
  • you can track the package to the border?!?!?!? Wink
  • USPS.com has a great tool (as does Fedex and UPS too) the "shipping quote" tool....you can get a real good idea of what it is going to cost....i also strongly push opening up USPS&UPS&Fedex accounts, even if you are shipping one thing a year, it can get you %ed shipping costs!

My sales generally include shipping costs in the Continental US...if an international buyer appears i will discount the shipping costs by the internal US fees so that they are offered the same basic discount that the US members are...
Ask a friend! talk to your friends to see if anyone is crossing the border anytime soon...hand carrying something in and then shipping in the same country is cheaper!   Facebook connects you to LOTS of people who travel all of the time!!!

Just my thoughts and experiences shipping kites for over 10 years......

Smeagol
Trade Count: (+83)

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 02:36 PM »

I've actually been told on several occasions (by USPS employees) that there is no tracking once a package leaves the US, one guy even said it was pointless because all you'll see is "parcel arrived in S.F., etc." and that's it.  I know this really depends on the country and how inter-meshed the postal services are, so take it as you will.  I was still able to track even though they said that, but it was very vague and not updated very often.  Still worked though.. eventually. Wink
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 02:38 PM by Smeagol » Logged
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 02:52 PM »

I recently shipped a kite from Seattle to Canada by USPS Prior. Intln. and was told that there is no tracking for items shipped this way.

6 kite tom
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2011, 04:23 PM »

USPS will tell you when it is delivered, but not during the movement in the other country...

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum