GWTW Forum
October 01, 2014, 07:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My latest little Grandson "BRODY" at the handle of his first kite.  (Read 770 times)
Sketch
Trade Count: (0)

« on: December 06, 2011, 04:23 PM »

Many years ago.....1979 we were blessed with with a baby boy we named Ryan.
In those early daze days...I was not only addicted to CLPA stunt models...but also my newly found interest in Duel line sport kite was soon to follow.

3 years later my son Ryan and I were soon flying combat with our little Trilby's and Skyna' Sky Fox's.
It's now 2011 and both of us are still flying sport kites and recently my son has started perhaps another life long addiction for his son.
GADS! ANOTHER GENERATION OF THE SHULTZ CLAN...THAT CONTINUES TO BE TAKEN AND RAPTURED BY THE CALL OF THE WIND.

[attachment deleted by admin to converve server storage space]
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 09:30 PM by Sketch » Logged
Danno419
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 07:56 AM »

He should be keeping his hands down at his sides!
lol jokes... he's pretty freakin cute.
Always a good idea to get em started early.
Thanks for sharing!

JoE Talon UL #4
JoE Talon STD #138
Zephyr
4D
Acrobatx
Snapshot 1.2 & 2.5
Hmmmm Talon vent or SUL next... decisions decisions.
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 10:54 AM »

Hi!

The young man seems to take the sport very seriously!  Shocked He's great!  Cheesy

This seems interesting to me. As a kid (10-15) I used to fly also CLPA stunt planes and now 30 years later am getting into Stunt Kites.
Is there a direct relation between one hobby/sport and the other?
Is it common that many stunt kite flyers were also into CLPA in the past?

Cheers!

N.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Jynx
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 12:16 PM »

Too, too, dang CUTE!  Grin

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky."
Jimi Hendrix
Doug S

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 01:31 PM »

Congratulations on the three generations of kiting.  It is a small world to see how other former CLPA fliers transitioned to stunt kites.  My love is still precision, as the result of flying CLPA at the USA AMA Nationals in the 1970s (1973-1975, 1978-1979).  I still have my Apparition CLPA model airplanes hanging up in my basement.  I made the transition to stunt kites in the early 1990s, after flying RC sailplanes in the 1980s.  Itís great to perform aerobatics, with not having to spend hundreds of hours building one CLPA model airplane during the winter with a show car finish, and then with one accident you are out of the competition for the rest of the season.

"We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public."
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 01:47 PM »

Gee!
I also transitioned to RC sailplanes (on hillside) in the late 80's!  Shocked I even designed and built mine...
This is like an illness or something.  Huh

And indeed, it is much nicer now that I don't have to repair something every time I come back home!

But these new generations will miss a lot if they skip all these steps and go right into stunt kites!
 Wink

Cheers,

N.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Sketch

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 06:17 PM »

Congratulations on the three generations of kiting.  It is a small world to see how other former CLPA fliers transitioned to stunt kites.  My love is still precision, as the result of flying CLPA at the USA AMA Nationals in the 1970s (1973-1975, 1978-1979).  I still have my Apparition CLPA model airplanes hanging up in my basement.  I made the transition to stunt kites in the early 1990s, after flying RC sailplanes in the 1980s.  Itís great to perform aerobatics, with not having to spend hundreds of hours building one CLPA model airplane during the winter with a show car finish, and then with one accident you are out of the competition for the rest of the season.

Hey..Doug!!
I remember seeing your APPARITION model in the Oct. 1975 issue of Model Builder
I had one of my models that I built....fly at the NATS that year
Remember Marty Phillips V tailed Novi 4?
that was my model...that was finished in clear dope...(but SADLY MARTY CHANGED THE "T" TAIL TO A MODIFIED TAIL WITH A VERTICAL FIN INSTEAD.
(Here is a shot of  the  original Dave Geirke's Novi 4

« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 07:07 PM by Sketch » Logged
Doug S

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 09:51 AM »

Thank you for remembering me from 1975.  I do remember Marty and his yellow elliptical wing stunt ship.  I still have the score board from winning Senior Class at the NATs in 1975, with Martyís name on it where he placed 3rd.  I received your E-Mail and I loved your sketches back in the day.  I will be more than happy to scan in and send you some pictures from the 1975 NATs with Marty, my Apparition (1974-1975) and my Apparition II (1978-1979).

I also will send you a technical article on how I used our model airplane background to design and build stunt kites (Falcon, Talon, and Raptor) in the 1990s, under my kite company Falcon Aero Designs.  It is my understanding that in 1991, my Falcon was the first stunt kite to use a leach line with a curved leading edge to keep the sail quite.  Sail flutter to an old model airplane guy is just not right.  I took a break from kiting in the 2000s, but now I am back having a blast designing and flying just for the fun of it (Stunt Kites, Single Line no/low wind soaring Kites, and Fighter Kites).  I am currently updating my Kite Design Program, Geokite, because I got the itch to aerodynamically figure out the current breed of trick two line stunt kites.

Precision is still my first true love.  Too many years of performing the 15-maneuver CLPA pattern.  I still remember the CLPA and Old Time Stunt patterns.  Itís fun to fly them with stunt kites, with some adjustments due to the quarter vs. half hemisphere flying area.

Doug Stout

"We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public."
tonycarl60
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 09:21 PM »

I learned how to fly CLPA in my forties (Ringmaster), at a park off the freeway in Rewood city ca, dedicated to CLPA. Ted Flancher used to practice there.   I used to fly slope gliders off of Pacifica ca flying aresti maneuvers and won a couple slope aerobatic contests. Does anyone remember a duel line eddy kite with a curved top that was flown with long stick handle as practice for CLPA ?
Sketch

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 10:21 AM »

I learned how to fly CLPA in my forties (Ringmaster), at a park off the freeway in Rewood city ca, dedicated to CLPA. Ted Flancher used to practice there.   I used to fly slope gliders off of Pacifica ca flying aresti maneuvers and won a couple slope aerobatic contests. Does anyone remember a duel line eddy kite with a curved top that was flown with long stick handle as practice for CLPA ?
I do remember a with a  long "curved leading edge" that Kathy Goodwind had in her shop many years ago...that we took out to Gas Works Park...during one of  Ron Reich's TOLine Kite Clinics.
Ron would take that kite...do a long low level ground pass, and would touch a wing tip..letting that round curved leading edge perform two or 3 ground rolls before popping it back into flight again. Quite a sight! Grin
I always thought that interesting kite would be an exciting kite to use for Choro. events?
Ah yes..
(oh yeh...Ted Fancher was another local Seattle friend in his early days before he moved to the sunny southlands.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 10:41 AM by Sketch » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document