GWTW Forum
April 19, 2014, 06:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plans & design info for a classic Conyne with a new touch for the community  (Read 2439 times)
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« on: December 09, 2011, 12:04 PM »

Hi,

I decided to design my own classic Conyne kite but adding a new design touch.
It is the kite in my profile picture.
It has been the first kite I build and I learned to use the sewing machine as I went along building it (special thanks go to my mother-in-law! She was my sewing machine teacher  Kiss ).

Since I am very happy of how it flies and looks, I have decided to make the plans and info available to you all.
Below you can see a few other pictures, the sizes and the full-sized plans.
I used 60gr nylon ripstop and 4.2mm carbon tubes. Also white dacron for the back supports of the spreader.

If anyone builds one I would appreciate that they notify me please and send me pictures!  Smiley
I would really like to see other color versions.
Have a nice fly!  Cheesy

N.

NEW Image of sizes:
And link to PDF for plans: http://goo.gl/lNSpe
ENJOY!

« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 08:14 AM by Ara Ararauna » Logged

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
cordover

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 12:12 PM »

Very nice and clearly  displayed.  I might try it in ripstop poly.  Thanks.
Wayner
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 12:35 PM »

Nich looking kite

Have you tried it in high winds?
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 01:37 PM »

Thanks!

Yes I tried it in pretty high wind (can't tell you what it was though because I couldn't measure it).
It was pulling so hard I decided to pull it down.
But it took me 25 minutes to pull the darn thing down because I could barely wind the line on the circular winder!

Despite that and although the spreader of the wings was flexing a lot, it suffered no damage.

On the other hand it needs not much wind to go up.
It is quite fun to fly actually.

N.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
bakerworks

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 06:46 PM »

Nice graphics design.

I learned the hard way not to wind in a kite using the line spool. It will cause the line to be under too much tension and it will crack the spool.  The best method to bring down a kite in high wind is to hand-over-hand "walk" down the line leaving the line on the ground and then wind the line on the spool once the kite is down.

Mike
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 08:27 PM »

Ara, that kite is gorgeous! Oh man, I'd love to make a kite or two-- this one would be just perfect.

Thanks for sharing with us,

Nancy

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 10:51 PM »

Nice graphics design.

I learned the hard way not to wind in a kite using the line spool. It will cause the line to be under too much tension and it will crack the spool.  The best method to bring down a kite in high wind is to hand-over-hand "walk" down the line leaving the line on the ground and then wind the line on the spool once the kite is down.

Thanks for the tip bakerworks.
However, one of the problems I was having that day was that I could not grab the line with the hands because it was so tense I was afraid it would cut my skin...
So I decided to grab the spool and start rotating it little by little and with patience I finally brought it down  (as you can see it is one of those circular ones with a hole in the middle).
I guess perhaps I should always have a pair of gloves with me...

In my bag...
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 10:53 PM »

Thanks Nancy.

BTW if anyone is interested, I also have the plans in PDF format in better resolution than the image I uploaded (the forum does not allow uploading PDFs and images can only be 100Kb).
So please PM me if you want me to send it to you.
Cheers,

N.

In my bag...
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 02:34 AM »

very nice looking kite.

Fdeli
Wayner
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 02:05 PM »

Glad to here its high wind ability.

Look forward to building one.
ainokea

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 06:35 PM »

Good job and nice build for your first kite.

Next time, anchor the kite to a spike or a pole. Something that can take the pull, Conyne's can pull like trucks
as you found out. Use a carabiner or hand over hand method to bring the kite down, never use the winder, they can,
and will break under all the stress. Conyne's also make great lifter, add some sky trash, add some color to the sky. Smiley

Take a S.W.A.G. at it.
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011, 01:27 AM »

Hi ainokea,

Thanks, indeed I now experienced their pull. I was already aware about it when I started looking at which kite I wanted to build as my first. I saw they were used for aerial photography when no other methods were available.
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/regional/nca/1906/kap/
Also it is really funny that the man that invented it (Silas J. Conyne) was pulled about 100ft away from his original standing point by a strong gust of wind!
http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=F50E1FFF3C5B11738DDDAB0A94D0405B808CF1D3
Of course that was a 4.2m high (14ft) Conyne kite!!!!

So one better be careful  Wink
Although this is a small-sized Conyne and I doubt it would lift an adult.

About lifting things, on our Catalan National celebration day I lifted a Catalan flag with it above my town (not too large but it wasn't a very windy day either).
Cheers,

N.

[attachment deleted by admin to converve server storage space]

In my bag...
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 03:19 PM »

Here I add the bridle points of the Conyne.
I forgot to do so in the firs image I posted and I did not find a way to change that image in the first post, so I include it here.

Enjoy!

N.

[attachment deleted by admin to converve server storage space]

In my bag...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography