GWTW Forum
November 27, 2014, 09:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wing tip tensioning  (Read 3331 times)
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: December 09, 2011, 08:40 PM »

option 1, sewn in loop

option 2, hole in leading edge

I've used both styles in my builds, but I'm curious to know what the general preference is.  Feel free to post reasons for your opinion.  Thanks!
B-13
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 08:49 PM »

OPTION 1

The hole techniques always looked risky for me. As if the line will rip the material in the LE.

Proud Member of Kitelife.com #943 Smiley
AKA_MrBill
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 09:01 PM »

OPTION 1

The hole techniques always looked risky for me. As if the line will rip the material in the LE.
+1 for option 1.
B-13 nailed my thoughts exactly.
Granted I'm fairly new at this, but my experience as an Engineer tells me the hole in the LE is a might risky.

Just my $.02
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 09:03 PM »

I prefer holes, but have had better luck with kites with a pair of holes like Lam's or at least some of the Flying Wings products.    Shocked

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
tonycarl60

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 09:04 PM »

Hole method looks cleaner though..............
B-13
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 09:11 PM »

Anyone had a ripping LE material from tensioning or a gust that gave stress on the tension line?

Proud Member of Kitelife.com #943 Smiley
sugarbaker

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 09:31 PM »

Focus kites and Skyburner both use a single hole in the leading edge.  I've built a couple of kites that use this method.  I've actually never had a problem with them ripping out.  I have also used a 2 hole method... a combination of Flying Wing and Skyburner's system.  I also know that Lam uses three holes (although, I don't own one of his kites yet, so have not learned how the design holds tension). 

tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 10:59 PM »

I prefer Lams system to any others that I've tried.  The downside is that you've got to watch his video of how to tension them in order to know how to do it.

For simplicity, I like BMKs system, but I've seen lots of folks put those on wrongly as well.

By far, my least favorite is the QPro lashing system - you've got to be a boyscout in order to get that one done well.

-Tom

6 kite tom
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 01:06 AM »

I've never had the holes in 3.5 oz Dacron rip or elongate.

I still prefer the "Blue Moon" system because the fixed pigtail makes tensioning evenly side to side easier and repeatable although I seldom break down kites. I do worry more about the sewn in loop breaking then I worry about the holes in 3.5 oz Dacron tearing out though. If I was building an light kite using 1.5 oz or lighter leading edges without re-enforcement I would definitively use the sewn loops over holes. BTW I've heard Kens system on the Blue Moons was inspired by an early Prism design and he got Prism's permission to incorporate it into his designs.

I'm not fond of the multi hole systems that i have to read instructions and watch videos in order to put a kite together, what is their advantage?

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
fidelio

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 02:23 AM »

two holes, an hq split knock, and a vinyl end cap is my preference.

it would seem two holes could reduce the load on each by half if the tensioning line loops through both.
if you're worried about the hole expanding you can stiffen the wingtip by incorporating a thin piece of plastic when you sew it. check the wingtip on a late model benson kite, it's as stiff as a credit card or driving license.

i've seen enough sewn in loops like in option 1 get worn and frayed enough through proper use to appear suspiciously weak, and nightmarish to replace should it fail.

for me as a flyer, the holes are better, cleaner, and more reliable.

Fdeli
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 03:20 AM »

I have a couple of kites made by a now deceased builder, where single holes were reinforced with metal grommets.............the grommets failed but the holes remain-unblemished and functioning as well as the grommeted holes. One model used bungies and the other bridle line...................no difference with either.

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2011, 07:07 AM »

I'm not fond of the multi hole systems that i have to read instructions and watch videos in order to put a kite together, what is their advantage?

I'm exaggerating perhaps a bit on the complexity - like I said even a simple system like BMKs is often put on incorrectly by sliding the knot in the notch rather than the loop itself.  Without instruction, most new flyers can't even larks heads their lines to the kite! Smiley

The advantage is mostly cosmetic I imagine - it looks very clean and requires no end cap.  I've never liked a strand of  line whipping on the end of the LE like many do as it eventually frays and looks ratty.   It also works really well, I've had some setup for years now - set it an forget it.

6 kite tom
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2011, 07:36 AM »

I use a two hole system. Clean and simple Smiley
It can tear if the dacron layup is not thick enough, so I fold over the ends to double up the thickness. When using 1.5 oz nylon, I double over the nylon as well as adding a dacron doubler.
Michel
Trade Count: (+12)

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 10:07 AM »

OPTION 1

+1 for option 1.

+ 2 for option 1 too.  Wink
kitebug
Trade Count: (+22)

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2011, 07:58 PM »

I have done both on kites I have build, never had an issue with either.

Lately I have been going with hole version and using an 2.2 26" flat bike inner tube, cut out rings about 1/4" and use them as bands to tension with good result; the rubber in the innertube is stong enough to provide good tension and if it brakes I can cut hundreds more if needed. And no need to tie anything no snags either. The 2.2 tube gives me a good size band based on the location of the hole to the end of the nock

I will try and post a photo.

Volando!
Cisco
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum