GWTW Forum
July 23, 2014, 08:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I want to learn the Comet. Is there any good tutorial out there ?  (Read 4631 times)
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« on: May 05, 2009, 09:20 AM »

I want to learn this Comet trick.
I have the Benson 'Trick or Treat' and there is not much help in the Comet tutorial. Is there any other good tutorial out there ?

Thanks.....

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+50)

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 09:32 AM »

Click the "Handy" tab above, then scroll down to Randy G's Sportkite Blog.

He has all kinds of tutorials on his home page, including the Comete.

Bob
DaveH
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 11:52 AM »

There are lots of tutorials ( toots ) on this move.  Randy's is my favorite.  Very clear and easy to understand.
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 12:13 PM »

I signed in. I downloaded the Randy's Comet tutorial but I only got music. No comet tutorial video.

Why Huh??

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
Jared
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 12:16 PM »

I've been watching this one, but I still don't seem to have the control for it yet:

Comete Tutorial rob
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 12:18 PM »

I can't do it except randomly, so take this with a grain of salt...but audioRob also has a tutorial as well.  When I have been able to do it, I was just rythmically doing the same inputs that he desribes until it sort of clicked.  My son learned the trick this way.

I have been trying a different approach as well.  Essentially, I do diagonal back-to-back half axels.  It is not the trick, but it has helped me to get used to the kite moving in that way.

6 kite tom
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 12:33 PM »

I signed in. I downloaded the Randy's Comet tutorial but I only got music. No comet tutorial video.
Why Huh??

What are you using to play it back on?
Plays fine using VLC.  If you haven't grabbed a copy of VLC you should.  You can download HERE
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 12:58 PM by Steve » Logged

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
RonG
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 12:39 PM »

Wanna know the quick and dirty method of learning the comete?

Flail your arms wildly in imitation of what you've seen people do on videos or in person.  Eventually it will happen, and then at some point it will happen again, and you'll begin to "feel" the trick and get a sense of doing it under full control.

Honestly, I've seen people try to learn it methodically, and I've seen people learn it using the "flail" method, and I'm convinced the latter is as successful, maybe more so.

Eventually it can become a very nuanced trick, but at first it's going to be "flail" no matter how you learn it.
Dano
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 12:46 PM »

Thanks for the tip Ron!

should be easy for me to learn then. I'm "GREAT" at flailing.  Cheesy
randyg
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 01:02 PM »

Use mine. I'm a much better looking redneck than Rob.  Cheesy  Huh  Kiss

Only thing I'd add to what's been written is to learn where the nose should be positioned at each of the 4 inputs. I had to do that to really groove the trick. I learned this trick methodically and I'm convinced that's why it took me so long to learn.

RonG
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 01:14 PM »

Only thing I'd add to what's been written is to learn where the nose should be positioned at each of the 4 inputs. I had to do that to really groove the trick. I learned this trick methodically and I'm convinced that's why it took me so long to learn.

The comete is a strange one IMO.  It has the "continuous motion" aspect of something like a backspin or lazy, but the odd positions the kite flows through makes it very hard at first to correlate inputs with specific kite positions.  Add to that the fact that the kite is constantly trying to defy you by getting ahead of or behind what you're asking for, and the constant adjustment in input timing needed, and it becomes a hard trick to learn by a "Step 1, Step 2, Step 3" method...

« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 01:15 PM by RonG » Logged
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 02:16 PM »

I don't profess to be able to teach you this by typing better than anyone here. Roll Eyes   

First off, I would mention that this is easier to learn in stiffer winds.

But, in short, you are doing half axels in rapid succession...but they are always initiated with the same wing...and they are each cut short BEFORE the nose goes completely away.  Like the half axel, you need to give opposite wing slack as you pull the leading wing (first input), but instead you rapidly take back the slack (2nd input), which cuts the half axel flare short...repeat as often as you can, or until you hit the ground.  Of course, every other half axel goes to an 'almost lazy', not a flare...which makes every other position slightly different in feel.

The nose pattern (on the clock) should be 10, 4, 10, 4 (or 2, 8, 2, 8 ).  The master's comete is really a three pointed star, but that's for when you are REALLY good at the basic version.  I can't help you reach this higher level...and some kites can't either I think.   

Certainly I agree that flailing about is also a good way to start, because as you can see from Audio Rob's video (where is that guy, anyway??)...you don't need to look at the kite once you get it.

ONE GOOD PIECE OF ADVICE:  Learn both directions at once.  Don't work only on one rotational direction.  You can easily get trapped, making the comete cascade harder to learn (welcome to my world). 

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
Jest_of_Eve

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 02:55 PM »

Pop....pop-pop.....pop-pop.....pop-pop.....pop-pop.....pop-pop..etc

Anyone got a link to that Debray video of his hand movements? Seeing this helps becuase RonG is correct. Flailing works, but flailing to the right rhythm is even better.

Obi - "ONE GOOD PIECE OF ADVICE:  Learn both directions at once.  Don't work only on one rotational direction.  You can easily get trapped, making the comete cascade harder to learn (welcome to my world). "

Absolutely damned right. I'm trapped because of this. It might take you twice as long to learn, but worth it IMO.

I personally still think that the Comete is the weirdest and hardest trick to master, simply because the timing is so strict and rhythmic; it's not a fixed simple sequence like most other tricks, it's a thing you have to train your mind to do.

It took me four months to learn this trick on a Gemini (not the easiest kite to Comete), but that was 4 months of intensive flying so keep it up and don't give in. It really is a bastard to get down!

The whole Comete left/right thing fascinates me because it really illustrates left brain/right brain stuff. Like the way I can only 540 on the left!

Mark

http://www.jestofevekites.com
http://www.justin.tv/jest_of_eve

The Talon colourizer will increase your sex-drive and save the world from climate change and pixies!
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 04:11 PM »

cids: I had the same trouble downloading from Randy's site. I had to right click the link to "save" it to my hard drive. It worked okay then.

Bob D.
ET
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 08:47 PM »

What kite(s) and how long are your lines?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document