GWTW Forum
April 25, 2014, 01:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I want to learn the Comet. Is there any good tutorial out there ?  (Read 4480 times)
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2009, 09:02 PM »

The kite is Fearless Standard and the flying lines are 100ft.

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
kevin
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2009, 09:25 PM »

What kite(s) and how long are your lines?

It really doesn't matter.  At all.

Ron is right.

Besides, I thought that trick was built in to that kite. 
ET
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2009, 10:21 PM »

True true Kev but I'm found some kites are easier than others:  Frenezy Evo, QP, Opium... to name a few.     

I like longer lines over shorter lines.

No time on a Fearless so can't comment on the kite.

Ditto with Ron. 

fworley
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2009, 10:39 PM »

Wanna know the quick and dirty method of learning the comete?

Flail your arms wildly in imitation of what you've seen people do on videos or in person.  Eventually it will happen, and then at some point it will happen again, and you'll begin to "feel" the trick and get a sense of doing it under full control.

Honestly, I've seen people try to learn it methodically, and I've seen people learn it using the "flail" method, and I'm convinced the latter is as successful, maybe more so.

Eventually it can become a very nuanced trick, but at first it's going to be "flail" no matter how you learn it.
Don't listen to this fella ... for he does not "flail" - end of discussion !

But then I've watched him comete over and over and over ... and I still can't figure it out.  Its not just his kite thats a Machine.

As for tips ... I'm trying to break it down ... and  some kites are definitely better than others to learn this trick on. Me ? I'm using the Vendetta UL (the DeepSpace is another good candidate) ... it makes everything easy. Oh and Obi's right ... its easier with some decent wind ... keeps pressure in the sail / help eliminate excess slack (poor technique) - least in IMHO.

-Frazer

tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2009, 11:23 PM »

Check the insanes and cometes out  at the end of this vid -  mmmm, mmmm

Fearless Sport Kite (Part 2 of 2)

6 kite tom
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2009, 01:20 AM »

YMMV but when learning I found I used two different techniques depending on the kite and the wind:

In light wind and on say a DS or Exile, I did it gently and felt the kite move into each position.

In stronger winds or on kites that prefer a heavier hand (Fury .85, Nirvana) I flailed and smacked the living daylights out of it concentrating more on the syncopated rhythm.

I still do two different styles and the first is still the only one I can do in both directions  Cry

Lars did a really nice tutorial on a Gemini that I thought was very helpful if you can find it.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 01:22 AM by inewham » Logged

lasapcheong
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2009, 02:42 AM »

To totally digresss..is it Comet or Comete? Is Comete french for Comet? I tried to google Comete and it didn't give any concrete results  Roll Eyes

-Darryl

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
RonG
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2009, 04:22 AM »

To totally digresss..is it Comet or Comete? Is Comete french for Comet?

Actually its "comète", with an accent grave over first "e", and pronounced similar to the English word.  And yes, French for "comet".
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2009, 06:12 AM »

+1 on what Ron said... Flailing works. There is a good machine video that shows Ron's hand movements. That is how I learned to do it.
At first I found it easiest with my eyes closed. I found that not seeing what the kite was doing kept me from getting confused. I would try to imagine what Ron did in my head and make my hands try to do the same thing without paying attention to the kite. Worked really well Smiley

I don't have the link handy to Ron's video, but I think it is somewhere on the SASKC site.
RonG
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2009, 06:15 AM »

To totally digresss..is it Comet or Comete? Is Comete french for Comet?

Actually its "comète", with an accent grave over first "e", and pronounced similar to the English word.  And yes, French for "comet".

Don't listen to this fella ... for he does not "flail" - end of discussion !

But then I've watched him comete over and over and over ... and I still can't figure it out.  Its not just his kite thats a Machine.
Lol....well actually this is the only trick for which I'd recommend "flail" as a starting point.  I'm normally an anti-flail kind of guy.  And JoE is right - it's very helpful to have a sense of the correct rhythm of the trick while you're flailing.  When I first set about learning it I'm fairly sure there wasn't another soul in the US doing it yet, so I used a video clip of Debray as a starting point.
CTaylor
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2009, 07:29 AM »

Learn the Torpile, you'll pick up the comete along the way.   Wink 

Another thing to try is fly towards the ground at about a 60 degree angle. Pop the wing that is closest to the ground and give slack to put the kite into a turtle.  Do this about 10 times till you're consistent.  Now work on that same thing but with your opposite hand lightly pull the kite out of the turtle.  The kite shouldn't actually lock into the turtle.  You'll want to make that second input before your lines touch the lower spreaders.  It should also fly off in the opposite direction you were heading originally, away from the ground.  This will make up the 3rd and 4th input of the comete.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 07:33 AM by CTaylor » Logged

Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2009, 08:46 AM »

This is how I taught myself the Comete.

I don't have any one to watch in person so I watched several different kite videos where I could see the Comet well.(English version, I don't know French) Wink Then the night before I wanted to learn it I watched Randy's video over and over until I thought I understood the inputs. The next day I learned the Comet. Maybe I was lucky but it was easier than I thought it was going to be. I think the key was first understanding and then concentrating on the input sequence as I watched the kite progress through the trick.

The difficulty for me turns out to be linking multiple Comets together, I still have a small pause between rotations. Without a pause to let the kite settle I can rarely get more than 1 1/2 in either direction.

Good Luck

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
rxburner
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2009, 02:25 PM »

So, James; When are  you going to teach me the Comete?
Rx
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2009, 03:33 PM »

Andrew, you're the one that actually inspired me to learn the Comet that day you were practicing at the beach. I figured that If you were giving it a shot, so would I. So when I went home & I gave it a try.

I used an UL to learn the trick, my Mohawk XS UL, and I think that helped. The Fearless SUL works well too. With an UL the Comet is slower and easier to keep up with the inputs. For me, anyway.

I think that I could play hooky from work one day next week & we could fly in Ashland & work on our Comets.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
randyg
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2009, 07:41 PM »

Linked below is the Debray video. Comete hands at around 2:55.

Debray Comete Hands

Next a clip from the 2004 SASKC event. RonG hisself with an early Machine:

RonG Comete

Video quality on the latter suffers from re-rendering a compressed file.  Undecided

Both show the syncopated rhythm discussed upthread. Watch Ron pause his left hand and delay the second input with his right hand. It goes 1...2,3...4,1...2,3...4,1...etc.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 07:49 PM by randyg » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography