GWTW Forum
April 18, 2014, 06:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wing tip tensioning  (Read 2803 times)
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2011, 08:30 PM »

Option 2 all the way. Never had a problem, ever. Clean and it works.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2011, 03:34 AM »

A variant of option 1, two loops. One like in option 1 and a second one resting in the fold of the leading edge. Then running the tension line between them and over the splitnock.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2011, 08:52 AM »

Ive had kites which were designed to use bungies but had been converted to hard line tensioning and had wear problems as a result. The LE was just not reinforced enough to handle the thinner line under greater tension. A properly made LE with a nice clean melted hole is fine. I've seen punched holes on cheap kites that got really ugly

It is odd to hear it called the Blue Moon method. I always think of Mark Reed when use that setup on any kite. For kites that need a lot of LE tension (like old Prisms) its great
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 08:57 AM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2011, 09:03 AM »

got an old bike inner tube? you can make the custom tensioners for Flexi foil and Chris Matheson kites!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2011, 12:37 PM »

I tend to prefer option 1, either Prism or BMK method, although one of the sewn in loops on my Prophecy did fail after years of use apparently, so we punched a hole in the lower LE and reinforced with a metal grommet.  So far it's been very robust.  On the other hand, my old SD had a previous small repair one of the tensioning holes, I guess where someone had tensioned a little too much & enlarged one of the holes.  We added some metal crimp grommets there as well and it helped.

-Mike
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2011, 08:57 PM »

Either method works well if done right and I have no preference myself but pretty much every kite I have uses the REed designed/BMK adapted and modified lashings.  YEs KEn gives credit to Mark Reed for the tensioning system but he did his own tweaks to it as well.  THats usually the first thing I do on a older kite is replace the bungies with lashings.
B-13
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2011, 10:35 PM »

Was about to try the BMK tensioning method but tensioning the LE for the loop to pass the nock before it sits in place just frightened me about too much tension on it. So Still with Option 1 and Zephyr tensioning method.

Proud Member of Kitelife.com #943 Smiley
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2011, 04:51 AM »

A couple of my HQ's are tensioned using the same method as on the BMK site and I've never had any problems with nocks splitting. I always put a vinyl end cap over the nock/line to tidy things up and leave less to snag on.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
B-13

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2011, 09:50 AM »

I just received a SF Pro 2.3 which uses the option 1 as tensioning method and can anyone help me with this?
The SF has two holes in the LE pocket with a cord (same as bridle) approx 25cm long with a loop at one end.
A bit afraid to force things out and rip the LE so i better ask or if anyone has a video on how to tension this correctly.

Many thanks

B

tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2011, 10:40 AM »

No video, but just don't overdo it.  You only want the LEs to stay together - no bowing, they should be straight.  So, it doesn't take all that much tension, just pull it tight.

6 kite tom
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2011, 11:58 AM »

if your wing tip tension line has come out, it can be a little confusing how to put it in... I'm going to rig up a little iPhone tripod later today and I'll see about posting a video of how to tension the leading edge on your Silverfox Pro.  Stay tuned.
B-13

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2011, 01:19 PM »

Thanks for the advice in not over doing it. i just want the LE pocket to be straight in flight that's all.

Sugarbaker, many thanks for the future video and the effort of doing it. Yes i pulled the tensioning cord out for some washing as it got some mud from a part of a flying field.

sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2011, 06:42 PM »

alright, officially my first kite video... first youtube video to be specific.  Anyway, here it is.  Leading edge tension on a silverfox pro.

Silverfox pro leading edge tension
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 11:48 PM by sugarbaker » Logged
B-13

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2011, 07:17 PM »

THANKS!!!!  Smiley

You first video is a success and nice workbench you have there too

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography