GWTW Forum
April 16, 2014, 06:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I can Fade! But I can't Axel...  (Read 2295 times)
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« on: December 13, 2011, 08:39 AM »

Hi,

After a while of patience I have managed to do nice long fades by starting them from a dive.
I have managed to figure out I REALLY need to put my arms back, throw them hard in front of me and then pop them back again to flip the kite into the fade.
Controlling the fade is now my quest, although they do stay for quite long, the exit is sometimes uncontrolled and I crash the kite. But many times I can fly it back out nicely. So, getting there.  Smiley

Now, what I can really not figure out is how to Axel.  Sad
I "think" I get a good stall of the kite on the edge of the window. I'm right handed so I fly from right to left and stall it on my left. I then give a pull on the upper wing (my right hand) and the kite enters a very ugly movement with the top wing falling forward but then entering a strange spin that gets the lines tangled around the tip of the top wing (that is now pointing at me) until the kite falls to the ground because I cannot recover it.
I really can't see what I'm doing wrong.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,

N.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Flying Fish
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 08:52 AM »

Make sure that the nose is pointing just off-centre when you pop. As you stall the kite, it will start to fall away to the left or right. When the nose falls to the left, you pop the right wing, and v.v.

See whether that makes the difference for you.

Danno419

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 09:04 AM »

there is some reallllly good info here --> http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=6468.0
on fingertip fade control.

For that elusive axle - I say elusive because a really really nice flat axle is somewhat rare in my opinion. (*bow to the ol skool kites*)
*Dromel beat me to it*

To add to what Dromel mentions - think of a clock, pop that right wing with your nose is pointed at 10 o'clock.. pop the left when nose points to 2 o'clock.... once you start getting them, tighten it up until you can axle both sides from nose pointing at 12.=

Good lucK!

JoE Talon UL #4
JoE Talon STD #138
Zephyr
4D
Acrobatx
Snapshot 1.2 & 2.5
Hmmmm Talon vent or SUL next... decisions decisions.
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 09:05 AM »

At the end of the pass to the left side of the window, pull right hand to turn the nose up to about 1 or 2 clock position. Slack the right hand and pop and slack the left hand. Keep both hands slack until ready to pull out of the rotation. Depending on wind speed, you may need to take a step(s) forward. You'll find it easier learning the axel by spinning the kite in towards the center of the window.

You could continue popping the right hand as you are doing now and learn the half axel to reverse flight to the right side of the window, if you don't know the half axel already. Also, as you get comfortable with half axels at the edges, work closer to the center and remove the pass between each half axel ... you've learned the cascade, too.

Axel, half axel, and cascades all seem to come together fairly quickly once you get the hang of it. Learn the two pop method of the cascade, even if your kite will do cascades with one pop. The two pop method adds more versatility to your trick options and set-up for the next move, besides helping out ground position and more air time in light winds.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 11:39 AM »

One thing that is often overlooked, SLAAAAACK!!!

To get a very good and consistent axle, you MUST throw a ton of slack on your non-popping hand.  A true axle is 30% pop, 70% slack (ok, I made those numbers up but that's what it seems like to me).  If all you are doing is the pop, your axle is not going to be nearly as nice nor as flat and controlled.

Also for a true and most consistent axle, the kite must be in a 100% stall, no forward flight at all.   For me, to get the flattest and slowest axles, you stall the kite while walking forward until the nose of the kite begins to fall towards you, then at the same time, pop the wing while throwing out as much slack as possible with the other hand.  This should give you a much flatter and better looking axle.

Once you figure out the technique to doing the axle, you wonder why it was so hard to learn. Smiley

Ara Ararauna

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 12:18 PM »

Hi!

When the nose falls to the left, you pop the right wing, and v.v.

pop that right wing with your nose is pointed at 10 o'clock

Excellent! I was doing it exactly the opposite. I was waiting for my interior (right in my case) (poppable) wing to start sinking.
I would have thought I had read it somewhere...  Huh

But now I have a light at the end of the tunnel to achieve an axel. I just can't wait for the weekend to arrive to try it out!!!  Shocked

And...

pop the wing while throwing out as much slack as possible with the other hand
indeed I will take good care in doing this too!

Thanks so much to all!!!!

N.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 12:58 PM »

http://wardley.org/kites/reckites/freestyle/axel1.html

Steve
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Wayner
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 01:19 PM »

+1
This is a can't fail method. It makes the set up sooooo easy. You will have your axel in no time.
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 02:05 PM »

OK! As suggested in the text I'm already practising the move without the kite!  Smiley
I think I've got it!  Wink

Thanks again.

N.

In my bag...
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 02:28 PM »

Wardley's description looks great - wish I had read it before I learned the move.

As a matter of fact, I find these words particularly true of most tricks - the both hands moving at once bit.  I think this is nearly always true - either both moving in opposite directions (one pops while the other off-hand slacks) or the same direction (both pull, push, or stop at the same time).

"Rather than talking about a pop with the right hand followed by a push with the left, I say it's a pop with the right *and* a push with the left at the same time. If both hands are moving at once (albeit in opposite directions), it seems to be a bit easier to remember because it's one step rather than two."

Watch someone's hands when they do a comete, 2 point landing, half-axel, JL, etc.

-Tom

6 kite tom
B-13
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 11:44 PM »

Ara,
Great if you managed a fade with your Nexus  Cool
It's a rapid kite and fading with needs some efforts.
For tricks i can now fade with no errors, flic flacs (even tried some vertical ones from horizontal), backflips, lazies and fruit roll ups or multiple yoyos but the Axel thing is still a Mirage for me  Cheesy
I learned that it is not the first trick to learn with time and as CA-Ike always told me, mastering the Stall, Snap Stalls and Side Slides is the key to further tricks. It will give you the feel of how the kite reacts to different wind and teach you making your kite and you become ONE  Cool
For now i left over the Axel for good and almost perfect Side Slides and snap stalls. After spending days practicing these, i came back with tricks and they seems different...Easier now..
I will learn the Axel later but for now controlling the kite from and anywhere in the wind window is more important..for me at least.

Have fun with your kite Ara and don't burn steps that may be necessary for further tricks.

Proud Member of Kitelife.com #943 Smiley
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 06:41 AM »

Awful windy day today.
Average 24Km/h (!)

Nonetheless, as I get home, my eagerness makes me grab my Nexus and walk to the park close by.
I set it up, lift it and warm up a little by doing a couple of circles and dives.
The kite howls & buzzes like crazy at the center of the window.

I decide to fly from right to left. I get the kite to the very left end of the window.
I turn up smoothly and when the nose is pointing to 10o'clock I do the two hands movement AND give slack.
Yes! An Axel comes out!  Huh
I can't believe it!  Shocked
Moreover, it comes out quite nice and flat!
I think to myself, "Sheer luck mate. You're not doing that again..."

So I try it again... and YES!  Grin

Three times I managed to get the Axel!  Shocked

At this point the wind really gets wild so I pack up and go back home as if a crowd was howling at my achievement.  Cool
What a feeling.

So thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU so much for the advice!!!!

And B-13, don't worry. I'm still practising my stalls, slides, square corners, etc.  Wink

I will get a FW Soul this Christmas. I guess I will be more prepared now to get much more out of it.
My guess is that it will be easier to do all these tricks with the Soul than with the Nexus. Am I right?

Regards!

N.

In my bag...
Flying Fish

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 07:23 AM »

Congratulations!!

Great feeling, isn't it? I felt that way after my first axel, and very soon you won't understand why you struggled with it, because it's so easy ...

B-13
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 09:41 AM »

COooooooool  Cool

Very glad for you Ara. I myself has not axel since i have my kites but will soon get it lol

Keep practicing and the Soul will pay for all this effort.

Nice winds to you

B

Proud Member of Kitelife.com #943 Smiley
Hadge

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 12:15 PM »

I will get a FW Soul this Christmas. I guess I will be more prepared now to get much more out of it.
My guess is that it will be easier to do all these tricks with the Soul than with the Nexus. Am I right?

Your smile will be from ear to ear!  The Soul will almost do tricks for you! It even makes me look average and believe me thats quite a feat!!  I don't think the nexus will see much air time after Christmas ( Keep it for a windy day).

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography