GWTW Forum
July 23, 2014, 11:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NYC/Seacaucus area people?  (Read 1142 times)
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« on: December 13, 2011, 02:41 PM »

Are there anyone in the NYC/Seacaucus NJ area that would be available to help out with a kite "thing" on a Wed & Thursday in January???

Theatre tickets to a show would be payment (along with meeting some cool kite people!)

let me know if you might fall into this area....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 04:34 AM »

It's about an hour for me but I could maybe make some arrangements. I could probably get a day off but I don't think I could do two. Do you have details?

Bob D.
temoniprince
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 10:17 AM »

more info please, so i could spread the word out to people.

Email is temoniprince at gmail Dot com
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 04:27 AM »

So, this is now going on so i can finally post more about this.   I am, along with Bob D, helping out carl robertshaw on the set that is going up for the Antony and the Johnson's show at Radio City Music Hall Thursday night.   It is a one night, sold out show.
Scott Skinner, from the Drachen Foundation is here as well to document this for the DF. 
There are ~90 box kite shaped pieces that are the main piece of the set. Some Mylar some chikara......all framed up out of a combination of a umbrella and sport kites....
This is the last show for this set, and it will be archived by MOMA afterwards.....

Pull up a YouTube video of Antony's performances....some very neat work.....

« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 04:39 AM by thief » Logged

Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 04:07 AM »

I'm sorry I'm not able to make it to the show. They have 200 lasers and all kinds of visual effects. It's a performance art thing that the Museum of Modern Art is sponsoring. Carl said that the 6,000 seat auditorium is sold out. I can't imagine the creative process that goes into creating a set design like the one that Carl created and then coming up with the system to make it all work. He's got 90 'crystals' which are 5 sided asymmetrical objects that are only remotely similar to box kites that use umbrella mechanisms to open them. He's got back drops and side drops that are probably more than 90' long that have panels sewn in to give it a visual impact. And the whole thing has to go up before noon time today so that the performers can do two rehearsals and then the show. Carl's an amazing guy!

Bob D.
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 02:33 PM »

Here is a vid i found on youtube from the show thursday:
Antony & The Johnsons, one-night-only performance 26/01/12

you can see the crystal's really well....most are white chikara and some are a super fragile mylar that is used in theater as "glassless mirrors".......
lighting was done mostly with RGB lasers and the reflection on those mylar crystals and along with glass crystals on the deck RCMH was lit up beautiful!

This was Antony's first solo performance in the US....and the set had to be enlarged to fill the deck of Radio City.......
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 02:35 PM by thief » Logged

thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 02:34 PM »

oh yes...
in attendance: Bjork, Tilda Swinson, Yoko Ono and many more people who I was supposed to be able to recognize at first glance (but did not)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document