GWTW Forum
July 29, 2014, 07:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobula ?  (Read 3706 times)
Flying Fish
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 11:24 AM »

Will try and take some pics next time my friend brings one of his Mobulas to the field. Can't guarantee when that will be, so don't expect anything too soon!

Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2012, 01:04 AM »

4Mkites does nothing but sell knock off kites.  He is not a builder per say but buys from the well known kite factory in china stealing these designs and making them.  I will not bother to post the links to the factories sites so if you want to see it for yourself just do a search.  My recomendation is DON"T buy from 4M on evilbay.  Most of his kites are ripoff designs and are not what they are claimed to be.  Most of them are made by Weifang who is probably the most well known kite counterfeiter and ironically the same guy that makes legit kites for the likes of premier and other companies which is how he manages to get knockoffs out so fast.
Rliquidice
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2012, 05:11 PM »

Ok , against my better judgement I went ahead and bought one of these.  Keep in mind it was $54.00 to the front door. Also keep in mind it comes without any instructions at all but seems easy enough to figure out. This one has not been flown neither just some shots of it so far. Once I placed it on table and looked at it and sewing was kinda surprised. It seems to be put together well/decent. Stitching is better than I expected for price of it. Some of the glue on '2' nocks already dried out and not holding but to be honest I have ran across this problem before and it is a quick fix. The green tension line on back of it I have no idea how much or little to set it? Dromel if you can remember how much tension was on friends kite would like input please. I snugged it up and will test and tweak it on the field. At first glance at this with some new glue and cleaning old off nocks it does not look to be that bad. The sewing on the 20 foot tube tail appears to be done by someone else. Quality of sewing drops on this piece.  I'll try to get it out to field soon. I already know I would like to buy an original also but the price of it will hold me back from ordering.

Several more shots in album below.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/583181177NcCHba
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2012, 08:02 PM »

I purposely avoid counterfeiters, but I can understand the reasoning. I have bought licensed designs from New Tech and today I got a Robert Brasington original from Thief (Rob), but you have to decide if it's worth it. 300 is a lot of money for a SLK. My Electric Slim is flying art to me and I defintely plan to keep it. I would also, by the grace of God, like to get my hands on a Bobby Stanfield original as well. I would hope people would avoid counterfeits, but the price discrepancies on some are so great that maybe you wonder why you would pay the price for the original. It is so tempting.

Your other option is to go into kitebuilding, which I plan to do at some point, although I am not advocating ripping off somones desgins yourself.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 08:09 PM by Tmadz » Logged
Ca Ike

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2012, 09:08 PM »

All i have to say is you get what you pay for.  Even a cheap licensed copy will not be as good as an original.
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2012, 09:42 PM »

All i have to say is you get what you pay for.  Even a cheap licensed copy will not be as good as an original.

That's more than a little harsh and cheap is a bit relative.

It may be a notch below artisan grade, but I think it does a disservice to Steve and other retailers to call the licensed versions of the Focus Hydra cheap... perhaps less expensive.  I certainly wouldn't call $200 cheap (especially in this economy) and it attaches a unneccesarily negative connotation to the licensed Hydra and similar kites.

In the blade world a licensed production version of..... say a Siebert blade is the difference between paying $150-$200 vs. $600-$700+.   

I'm not sure I could bring myself to part with the cash for an Anso blade, but I own several of the Boker licensed versions (including a fine example of swedgy goodness).

ATB,
Sam
Ca Ike

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2012, 11:33 PM »

Where did I ever mention a specific kite?  WHere did I ever call the ITW Hydra cheap?  No its not a focus hydra so don't bother calling it that.  ITs been reworked for ITW in some details, sail layout being one of them.  ITW is known for "IMPROVING" kite models with their medling.  JUst look at the ITW version of HQ's E-motion. Much better than a lot of the others. The ITW hydra is a nice kite and in some ways has a better feel then the original but still not the same quality that came out of Focus. I would take a Focus version any day.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 11:35 PM by Ca Ike » Logged
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2012, 06:26 AM »

Where did I ever mention a specific kite?  WHere did I ever call the ITW Hydra cheap?  No its not a focus hydra so don't bother calling it that.  ITs been reworked for ITW in some details, sail layout being one of them. 

You didn't.... that's just the point. You made a blanket statement about licensed versions of artisan kites.... and I am leery of blanket statements so maybe that's my issue (hmmm.... but that's kind of a blanket statement  Cheesy ).

ITW is known for "IMPROVING" kite models with their medling.  JUst look at the ITW version of HQ's E-motion. Much better than a lot of the others. The ITW hydra is a nice kite and in some ways has a better feel then the original but still not the same quality that came out of Focus. I would take a Focus version any day.

Meddling (1.Interfere in or busy oneself unduly with something that is not one's concern) ?!?   How is "IMPROVING" meddling?

Licensed copies put kites (and other things) into the hands of folks that might not be able to afford the artisan copies.  In an equitable arrangement, the artisan sees some additional profits that he might not otherwise have.

Kind of wondering where the SportKiteDesign Mohawk XS  and MXS (the "economized" version both based on the Air Oeuvre Mohawk XS fits into your original statement about licensed copies.  Undecided

ATB,
Sam

Tmadz
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2012, 07:19 AM »

Licensed copies put kites (and other things) into the hands of folks that might not be able to afford the artisan copies.  In an equitable arrangement, the artisan sees some additional profits that he might not otherwise have.

Kind of wondering where the SportKiteDesign Mohawk XS  and MXS (the "economized" version both based on the Air Oeuvre Mohawk XS fits into your original statement about licensed copies.  Undecided

ATB,
Sam
I have bought different licensed designs by the same artist and a couple were good quality and one was crap. Same maker. It can just cut both ways I guess, although I would have imagined that the brand name maker would have had more consistent quality. I can rest easy knowing that the artist was being compensated and sharing their designs to a larger audience. If it's not up to your expectations, fine. In my experience, I have seen very little quality difference in consumer products between name brand and genericand in others I have seen a huge difference in quality. Each case is different and it's up to you to decide what is acceptable.

I won't knowingly buy a rip-off, but if a licensed copy or kite plan is available I'll take advantage of it and sleep well.
Flying Fish
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2012, 08:56 AM »

Pictures posted give a clear enough impression of the kite, I think, so no need for me to add any more.

Dromel if you can remember how much tension was on friends kite would like input please.

To be honest, we simply put 'some' tension on it and flew it. It flew fine, so we didn't pay any more attention to it ...

thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2012, 05:32 PM »

ATB,
Sam
I have bought different licensed designs by the same artist and a couple were good quality and one was crap. Same maker. It can just cut both ways I guess, although I would have imagined that the brand name maker would have had more consistent quality. I can rest easy knowing that the artist was being compensated and sharing their designs to a larger audience. If it's not up to your expectations, fine. In my experience, I have seen very little quality difference in consumer products between name brand and genericand in others I have seen a huge difference in quality. Each case is different and it's up to you to decide what is acceptable.

I won't knowingly buy a rip-off, but if a licensed copy or kite plan is available I'll take advantage of it and sleep well.how can you tell if there is a licensed copy or plan?

I know of many kites that are ripped off that would not appear out off line first appearance.......
I know of a design that was sold to a manufacturer with any involvement of the maker who designed the kite in the first place.....
Over on the kiteplanbase there are ripped off and copied plans....

There is a large number of kites that are licensed and compensating to the designer but that are then copied over in China.....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Rliquidice
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2012, 08:34 PM »

Still have not had a chance to fly it yet. Maybe this weekend? I also need to say that the seller did send me instruction by email to this kite.  Huh  I think this forum might reach farther and wider than I thought.  lol..... I still plan on giving a honest small review on it when I get a chance.
Ca Ike

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2012, 12:37 AM »

Yes 4mkites is known to lurk on kite forums.
boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2012, 12:52 PM »

Yes 4mkites is known to lurk on kite forums.
I agree, they lurk to see what is hot, then "crap" into the kite chain, with knockoff "crap".
Don't give them the time of day, don't buy their "crap".  When it's identified, don't buy it, don't give them any credit.  They deserve that we give them "crap"! Angry
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document