GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 04:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QVC Christmas Fujifilm S 4080 Camera...$229?  (Read 2471 times)
Sketch
Trade Count: (0)

« on: December 18, 2011, 09:51 AM »

After checking carefully....I have found that this little Fuji with the 30X zoom is made from recycled Plastic...including the lens barrel?

My little lack luster $89.00 Fuji FinePix J150W that I bought about a half dozen years ago was metal and still producing quite acceptable photos.

Bottom line:
Buying a camera over $200 bucks..made with recycled plastic Huh---even though it would appear to be filled with quite interesting features...still makes me go------ "HUMMMMMMM IN THE NIGHT? 
I know this dates me as an OLD FART...at least my beloved old BAKE LIGHT BROWNIE BULLS EYE CAMERA seemed to be made of a more camera worthy product that re-cyled plastic?

ANY THOUGHTS ABOUT WHY FUJI....would go to such lengths to stay in the competitive market? Roll Eyes Undecided
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 04:34 PM »

REcycled plastic is the same thing as new plastic.  The only difference is the proccess to recycle it.  New plastic gets made ready to go in "beads" or powder for the molders.  Recycled plastic gets heated and "densified" then extruded through the same beader as new plastic or ground into powder depending on what the molder needs.  THe injection molding company I worked for for a bit had their own "regrind" machine to recycle sprue scrap from the parts molders.
Sketch

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 07:21 PM »

Interesting....
Then why in the heckity darn does our recycling locations are SOOOOOOO DARNED PICKY ABOUT SORTING, removing plastic lids etc etc..or even WHICH KIND OF PLASTIC WE CAN OR CAN NOT PUT IN OUR PICK UP CANS?

When it comes to tailoring plastic parts...IT WOULD SEEM VERY VERY IMPORTANT JUST WHAT BLEND OF PLASTIC WOULD BE USED FOR...say lens barrells..or camera bodys etc.
Some plastics are extremely brittle...and others are extremely flexible.....

As you can understand after reading my drivil....PLASTICS AND THEIR PROPERTIES ARE TRULY SOMETHING THAT I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT...
For example...In the auto industry, amazing how flimsy and delicate many of those plastic control knobs dials,air vents and switchs on our 2008 Wolfsburg Jetta..have failed.
Thankfully the parts dept has replaced these at no charge..(that is until the warrenty runs out...which run from 30,000 miles to as much as 100,000.

bottom line: Plastic parts on some of these new cars SUCK! Amercian or foreign made really doesn't seem to make much difference?
My neighbor has replaced the FENDER WELL TRIM 4 TIMES ON HIS DODGE RAM PICKUP...
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 07:29 PM »

different chemicals are added to different plastics to get the properties needed anf blending those chemicals can be disaterouse thats why you have to separate pvp, ppe ppp, ps, etc.  JUst like you don't want to mix gas n bleach you don't want to mix different plastics
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 08:06 PM »

Just because something can be made out of plastic, doesn't mean it should be.

Go check out any uber-high end camera and see how much plastic they have chosen to use.

Lens for cameras and glasses can be made out of plastics (I use the term for any polycarbonate based material). Barring shock/impact resistance for shrapnel type applications, I'd rather have glass, even though it is heavier to use.

Sadly, most plastics lose their good properties if mixed with other types. PVC house pipes use to have recycled material until homeowners found out that the recycled material acted only as a filler, not as a structural bonding molecular unit. The filler reduced the amount of high dollar material and made a structurally inferior tube.

You want long term structural stability? Steel
Worried about rust? High Chromium Steel
Low weight? Aluminum
Strength/Weight Ratio? Titanium
Money not as important? Magnesium
Money really not important and weight super important? Beryllium (very brittle and can be poisonous to machine)

Composites have made tremendous inroads and can be tailored, but the initial design costs and high material cost for the really nice compounds, along with toxic outgassing cause their own problems.

Cheap? Plastics

The best line from "The Graduate" (1967):
The Graduate "One Word: Plastics"

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 08:54 PM »

I really like my fujifilm finepix S2000hd with 18xzoom Looks to be mostly plastic to me and has not been an issue i am also looking at the 30x they DO have very nice viewfinders

have fun kurt
Sketch

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 09:48 AM »

Grin
THANKS GUYS... I LOVE THAT CLIP FROM THE GRADUATE! SOOO TRUE! and for the great refresher course on the property of plastics...and Chilese your knowledge about the science of not only plastics...but other materials is amazing.

We just got back my wifes "T BONED" 2008 buggered Wolfsburg' Jetta. and we had to return it to the repair facility...due to a busted plastic part in the rear window defogger that was "missed" by the Farmers adjuster. The plastic part $$$ was only $3.50 but to reinstall it was an additional $279.00 labor to re-install that new little part.
I wonder if that part had been made of a stronger grade of Plastic?Huh------ NAWWW? Roll Eyes

We just took back that beautiful  2012 Pazzzzzzzzat' Loaner VW rental car with only 1,240 miles on it and our friends who we went out to dinner noticed that the little plastic heat and air conditioner  loover's on the vent that is placed between the back seats was broken already.'
  GERMAN & MEXICO ENGINEERING AND DESIGN EXCELLENCE AT IT'S FINEST!;) Roll Eyes

[attachment deleted by admin to converve server storage space]
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 09:54 AM by Sketch » Logged
Sketch

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 12:02 PM »

I really like my fujifilm finepix S2000hd with 18xzoom Looks to be mostly plastic to me and has not been an issue i am also looking at the 30x they DO have very nice viewfinders
KO!
Yesterday at Fred Meyer in Tacoma...I had a chance to pick up and play with a Fuji 2000 with that 18X zoom...and although the main body  seemed to be made of plastic...the surface that you use to hold the camera was coated with a soft  and gripee' like"pebble finish that seemed to enhance ease of handling this very light weight and compact camera.
Nice viewing screen...and although the zoom seemed a little slow (maybe on purpose for ease of accurate focusing.
Also due to the fact that my first little Digital was a Fujifilm W150 $89.00 camera...I thought the dials and setting features were very EZ to find and adjust...etc.
This camera was on a promotion sale for $150.00. which for this price seems like a pretty good bang for the money buck$$?

« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 09:11 AM by Sketch » Logged
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 05:57 PM »

one thing that may be of concern to you,but not me (and may have been fixed by now) is that you can hear the zoom a bit when shooting video on mine.i dont use it for vids anyway. also low light shooting sometimes in auto is a little touch and go but easily remedied using one of the adjustable settings it does however shoot in VERY low light with no flash I bought mine because it was inexpensive and i wanted a long zoom I have no complaints after i think 3 years of hard use here is a link to some of my shots if you are interested. most have not been alteredhttps://picasaweb.google.com/grddumas/FujiStuffSOCALMyBackyard?locked=true# ps mine is 15x not 18 oops. are they ever long enough?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 06:00 PM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change