GWTW Forum
July 24, 2014, 08:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Disc Golf  (Read 2880 times)
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: December 18, 2011, 02:45 PM »

I started trying to learn to play Disc Golf this summer. I am still struggling, but starting to have more fun. My best score through 18 is +16. We have a local "Tone Course" and my best score is +20 there.
Are there any other DC players here? Any words of wisdom? Our local tone course is really nice, if your ever passing through Ashland Oregon, I would be glad to give you the tour.

CV

It is a good thing that Golf Discs are alot cheaper than kites....

chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 03:53 PM »

Most of the experts have

drivers - very rigid (built-in oversteer)  160-190 gms

mid-distance - forgiving (neutral)

putters - very soft material to grab the chains

We have 4 courses in Las Vegas. The nearest is about 3 miles from my house. Lots of small trees. I hate trees.

I am typically a bogey golfer, +18.

I have about a dozen discs which the experts tell me are truly dinosaurs. I've had them about 25 years.

If you ever get to Santa Cruz, CA, there is an amazing course on the hillside, above the real golf course. The 4th hole is (from memory) maybe 300+ yards with a 600 foot drop! The 4th tee has a panorama of the town and the Pacific Ocean. It is stunning. Watch out for the cross winds.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Magpiesfooty
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 05:45 PM »

Good Wind = Kites
Low or No wind = Disc Golf.

I have played it for years and enjoy the challenge.  If you decide to play in a breeze, learn how to make it work for you. Just like in regular golf, be patient and don't try to Riiippppp!!!!!!!  every throw, most of the time a nice finesse throw will work.  Don't be too frightened to take a risk shot every so often, but know when you should be conservative and make up a throw on the next hole. Get a regular core group together, and play as many courses as you can. Try several different discs as drivers and approach discs.  Some will work differently, depending on how you throw.   Here in the Dallas Fort Worth area there are probably 15 courses around.  I have also played several in Austin.  Great stuff.  Enjoy yourself and have fun!!

Magpiesfooty
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 06:12 PM »

No No No No No
I dont need another hoby! Wink
besides i dont know of any courses near here

Sine Metu!
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 07:09 PM »

i dont know of any courses near here

http://www.ohiodiscgolf.org/courses/list/

CV

coogee

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 08:16 PM »

Errr what is "Disc Golf"?
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 10:43 PM »

Professional Disc Golf Association

Membership information, FAQ for beginners, course directory, partner finder, player profiles, and tournament s

My brother plays quite often, I have played a few times, The boys all got disc's many years ago, (probably not as old as John's, but still old compared to today's standards)

A couple of weeks ago I was in a store that had a 1/2 price sale on there disc's, they had all types, and colors

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 02:49 PM »

Errr what is "Disc Golf"?

Me too!

My first reaction to the Professional Disc Golf Association website was "... elaborate April Fool joke"  but it looks real enough in the videos.  Just goes to show!

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
Magpiesfooty
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 04:11 PM »

Aright Blokes.  Looks like theres going to be a future Foster's "Australian For Beer" commercial here, about disc golf in the future.  LOL!!   It is really a great deal of fun.  You have a course of 9 or 18 holes. Some of the fancier courses have concrete launch pads (tee boxes). You have a map that tells you where and how far the basket is.... (the hole) ... sometimes you can't see it because it is surrounded by trees or down the side of a steep hill or around a sharp dog leg. Most holes are par 3, some longer are par 4 not many par 5's. Most hole distances are between 250 and 600 feet long. Sounds short but longer than it seems. There are generally hazards, wind, water, creeks, steep hills, trees...etc... You try to get your disc in the basket in or below the amount of throws recommended as PAR.  You have different discs that steer left, steer right, fly hard straight in different weights for different conditions. Remember Left handers, the action of the disc in flight is opposite. Some people play "Rollers" where you roll the disc on it's side towards the hole.  Rollers, (which I personally don't like, can be a very high risk but can give you high rewards too. You have Driver discs (200-300 ft. +) Approach discs (100 - 200 ft) and putters (less than 100ft to the basket) There is nothing like thowing a disc towards that basket that you can't see, and hear the chains (of the basket...) rattle.  Great stuff.  DO NOT USE REGULAR FRISBEES FOR DISC GOLF.... this can be very frustrating as the discs are affected too much by the wind and won't travel the distances desired.  DO NOT THROW DISC GOLF DISCS AT YOUR FRIENDS as it can be dangerous.  The ends are thick and hard and they fly differenly than regular frisbees.  Have fun.   Magpiesfooty
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 04:28 PM »

A group of us were playing years ago in Phoenix.

We hear some chains clanging really loudly behind us followed by 2 guys screaming their lungs out.

We turned in time to see the chains still moving and a disc wedged into them.
The 2 guys are jumping up and down and yelling.
They are standing at the tee to the hole!!
The thrower had gotten a hole in one from maybe 200 feet away.

So I haven't seen a hole in one in disc golf, but we sure heard it.  Huh

You can youtube a bunch of these.

Here's one of them.

Steve Ganz Aces the 10th at La Mirada
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 04:32 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Schook
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 07:45 AM »

I started trying to learn to play Disc Golf this summer. I am still struggling, but starting to have more fun. My best score through 18 is +16. We have a local "Tone Course" and my best score is +20 there.
Are there any other DC players here? Any words of wisdom? Our local tone course is really nice, if your ever passing through Ashland Oregon, I would be glad to give you the tour.

CV

It is a good thing that Golf Discs are alot cheaper than kites....

Discs may be cheaper than kites, but that also means they accumulate quicker.

Been a disc golfer for more years than I have been flying kites.  Another nice way to get in some outdoor time.  I usually get in about 2 or 3 rounds a week during the summer.  I am by no means a pro let me know if you have any question, I can point you in the right direction for some answers. 

If you are really  interested, go to youtube and search for disc golf monthly.  They have some footage of past tournaments.  Some amazingly talented disc golfers out there.

jim

"The wise will listen; and the other wise will do otherwise"
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 04:16 PM »

Are there any other DC players here?

Any words of wisdom?

First accuracy, then distance. Not the other way around.

Find some other people to play with, ostracise anyone found taking it seriously, stick with a few discs rather than buying the latest "hot" design that you can't actually use as they fly so funny - a Buzzz SS and a glow Aviar do most of my work for me on local courses.

Disc golf is a good laugh.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 05:10 PM »

There is a disc golf course in the park where we fly.  Has to chuckle the other day  ... two young (under 25) guys were playing but riding between 'holes' on their bikes.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
KeithG
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 09:19 PM »

I started playing around two years ago and enjoy playing very much. I have eight courses in my area and it only takes about half an hour to get to the most distant one. We have what is cosidered to be the oldest or second oldest course (depending on who you ask) in the USA here. I can walk to it from my house. We also have a world class course called Indian Creek, very long and challengeing for an amature.

The people have been great and  are very willing to help noobs learn the game and disc are kind of like kites, you end up with more than you thought you would.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 09:38 PM by KeithG » Logged

Keith

Kites & Corvettes, both, a great way to fly.
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 08:01 PM »

disc are kind of like kites, you end up with more than you thought you would.
Including several that you buy just 'cos they're pretty so you end up not using them as much as you might.

Etc, etc.  Roll Eyes

Mike,
ooh.... shiny thing

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document