GWTW Forum
July 24, 2014, 05:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good vented kites?  (Read 3979 times)
Adamld13
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: December 20, 2011, 12:32 PM »

Im thinking I need to add another vented kite to my bag but im not sure which ones are good.
Currently the only vented kite I own is a Silverfox 2.5 VTD. Im pretty happy with it but I find its like flying a tank sometimes, not the most agile kite. IM sure that some of this is due to the bridle settings but ive tuned it to where it tricks the best for my liking and I dont feel like muckin around with it.  Ive been paying attention to the wind ranges for vented kites and the silverfox has one of the highest wind ranges that I have seen at 30mph. Where I live its either a very light breeze or windy enough to even chase the fox vented to the edge of the window. Im wondering if anybody knows of any vented kites that are good for tricking but also able to fly in extreme winds?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 07:09 AM by Adamld13 » Logged

chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 01:39 PM »

30 mph +

Do you need to be out  in those winds?

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Adamld13

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 01:51 PM »

Yes living in Calgary is a joy Roll Eyes The wind is almost always variable here so what more can I do than prepare myself? It is winter here 8 months of the year and that means a lot of gusty wind Cry
Maybe that 30mph the fox is rated for isnt realistic?

RonG
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 02:11 PM »

Maybe that 30mph the fox is rated for isnt realistic?

The manufacturer's upper and lower wind ranges are almost always to be taken with a grain of salt.  The upper wind range should usually be read as "it won't immediately explode if subjected to this much wind".  Being enjoyable and performing well are other matters entirely.

If you're looking for advanced trick capabilities, you're not going to find much that makes it easy for you at 20mph, much less 30mph.  Any videos you may see of people doing amazing things with dual line kites in ballistic wind are much more a tribute to the reflexes and fitness of the pilot than to the innate abilities of the kite.

Speaking in broad generalities, the less the kite is vented, the more it will retain the characteristics of its unvented siblings.  And the less it's vented, the more is asked of the pilot as the wind picks up.  It sucks, but it's true.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 02:20 PM »

Guildworks Deca A1 for a quad option....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 02:49 PM »

At 30+mph do you want to trick or just fly?

HQ Batkite and Delta Hawk will handle the 30+ winds but will haul you around and require 220-300lb linesets.

ATB,
Sam
Adamld13

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 03:10 PM »

I'm just looking for a good dual line vented that has a high wind range but still tricks decent.
I think the "30mph" is sidetracking this thread. I only used it because that what my current vented is rated for. I'm not asking what kite will do tricks in a tornado.

Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 03:46 PM »

Getting any kite to trick very much above 20mph you will need to be both good and quick. I would imagine that a 2.5m minimally vented kite like the Silver Fox would be quite a handful.  Maybe something a bit smaller, say around  2m might be better as it's going to generate less pull but even then much over 20mph and you need to be going home or just flying for fun. I vented my own HQ Jive which seems to work quite well up to just over 20mph but after that I'm just carving up the sky.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 03:47 PM »

Aerodrone Speed limit....

Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 04:26 PM »

Yeah, that's usually when I break out the Flexifoils (Hotshot!), Microns, or one of the speed kites.  Not much tricking going on.

-Mike
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 05:29 PM »

At least with the Speed Limit you get dynamic variable venting DVV™.

If your wind varies a lot while flying, this kite would definitely help.

Plus, it is really cool to see the vents opening and closing while in flight.

However, it's trick capabilities.....well......

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 05:33 PM »

Speed limit tricks fine....you just need to make sure to giva a LOT of slack!

Adamld13

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 06:14 PM »

Pretty cool looking kite John!
I know once the wind picks up tricking is a lot harder.
I would just like to have more than one kite to choose from when the wind is over 25km
Anybody familiar with the cosmic tc, soul or talon vented?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 09:18 PM by Adamld13 » Logged

lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 11:39 PM »

I go to Manzanita, OR each year in July. The 30+ mph winds have become the most common condition. To get decent air time and do more than loopty loop stuff, I got a Vented Rev 2. The Rev in the second post above is gorgeous; not sure if it is the Extra Vented Rev B 1.5 or a custom of some kind, but it should easily handle 30+ mph, too. Now I'm lusting for one like it. 

When you are ready to branch out to quads, you'll find that the vented ones will do almost everything quads normally do in lighter winds. The vented versions are more stable (less twitchy) than the full sail versions. Same as dual line, you won't be doing slack line stuff on Revs in 30+ mph, however, quad slack line stuff is a lot smaller portion of flying compared to dual line kites. Dive stops, spins, ladders, cartwheels, side slides, forward, backward, upright, inverted, and stalls anywhere in the window are all there for the taking in high winds, to keep one entertained for hours.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 02:46 AM »

Alternatively if you see a used one for sale, a Fury .85 (not vented) with back brace, stuffed spars and fitted with a set of wah pads is surprisingly good in ballistic winds.

On a really stupid wind day I found mine could go higher than a Psycho and still remain trickable, and retained its feel unlike the super vented Masque I had at the time (I could have buggied with that).

They definitely have theyre own technique but are extremely capable kites with a very wide wind range. Hard work in that wind but still fun.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document