GWTW Forum
October 21, 2014, 06:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ipod Touch registration issue  (Read 1812 times)
Stardragon
Trade Count: (+14)

« on: December 25, 2011, 10:15 PM »

I bought my son an iPod Touch for Christmas and we've run across a problem.  Registration with iTunes seems to require a credit card of some kind and we can't find a way around this.  At 16 he doesn't have one and I'm sure as (bleep) not using mine.  He can't even download free apps or games.  Does anyone have experience with this that can help?

Ron
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 10:23 PM »

My whole family uses my appleId.  The downside is that they need to know your password in order to install items (free or not); the upside is that you only pay for apps and music once for all devices on the account.   I can see pluses either way.  My kids must ask me before they buy anything and you can see your invoices at any time, but they could choose to just order without asking.

I think that you can setup an I'd without a credit card - sounds like you cannot?

6 kite tom
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 10:30 PM »

Prepaid credit card?

Sine Metu!
Ca Ike

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 01:38 AM »

You don't need to provide a CC right away.  When you go into the app store and get one of the free apps it will ask you to provide a payment method.  Just pick the "none" option.  As long as your getting the free apps just keep selecting the None option and you'll be fine but if you buy an app then you will have to provide a CC.  A good way to get around that if you want to let your son buy stuff is to get him Itunes gift cards or let him buy his own gift cards to use.  YOU need to make sure your Itunes is up to date though. 

Tom's Idea is also a good one and works well as long as your son doesn't figure out your pasword Tongue
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 01:41 AM by Ca Ike » Logged
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 10:21 AM »

My girls had a bunch of iPods over the years using only gift cards. Only drawback is that if several people use the same iTunes library with different IDs things can get complicated

Allen, AKA kitehead
Stardragon
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 09:44 AM »

Thank you all for your advice.  The problem for me was that I wasn't getting a "none" option when it came to entering a credit card.  I eventually caved and used one to register and was able to remove it from my account profile afterward.

Ron
Ca Ike

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 11:09 PM »

YEa thats been a big complaint is the fact that there is no option not to save CC info when you register.  I think there is something in the parental controls for minor accounts but not having kids myself (yes I refuse to grow up Tongue) I don't deal with those.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change