GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 06:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP - Never flown trick kites  (Read 1305 times)
Broady
Trade Count: (0)

« on: December 22, 2011, 02:50 AM »

I badly broke my leg early August this year. Still can't walk yet. I broke it power kiting, so they all got sold while I was in hospital. I've loved kites all my life and thought I would have a go at trick flying. I used to fly a cheap flexifoil stunt kite I got in about 1990. I only flew loops, figure of 8's and low flying and rarely ever hit the ground. SO I'M A COMPLETE NOVICE REALLY!!

I've been out and brought:
CR aerostuff fury - still brand new
HQ Yukon - still brand new
HQ dancer - still brand new
Spirit of the Air Sabre - still brand new
Aéris kite - used (know nothing about this kite)
Didakites Diablo - used (know nothing about this kite)
Foils are:
HQ Symphony 1.4 - brand new (I have 2 brand new and one used)
Peter Lynn Vibe 2.6 - used
Peter Lynn Vibe II 1.3 - used
Quad foils are:
Airea Bronto 2.0 - used (know nothing about this kite)
Flexifoil Bullet 2.5 - used
Pansh legend 4.5 - used

I've not flown any of the stunt kites, but have brought the trick or treat dvd from Tim Benson.

The Fury did come with a full set of spare spars but having never broken a kite before at all (apart from my old flexifoil and that wad the sail and the stitching that gave up after 18 yrs abuse) I'm hoping I won't need them.

Does the Fury always come with these extra spars?

Should I buy another kite after I've learnt the basics on the Yukon before I move to the Fury? Like the .85 Standard Fury? Or any recommendations?

What should I use to learn to fly?

How old should kids be before they fly dual lines and what should I give them? (they are 3&5yrs old) The dancer, sabre and Vibe 1.3 are for the kids.

Sorry I've gone on a bit, but thanks in advance
Andy
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 04:15 AM »

Welcome to the wonderful world of duals! I don't have any personal experience with the kites you mentioned but there are plenty of people on the forum who might. The Fury is supposed to be a decent,  higher end kite but I haven't read too much about it lately.

Littler kids might have a harder time coordinating the inputs to keep the kite moving in a straight line. They'll have fun if you give them the lines but hold on to the straps to keep them flying without crashing.

Get a good feel for the kite reacts to your inputs and the force of the wind on the sail. Practice landing. If your control is pretty good, learn how to handle stalls. I spent a lot of time at the edge of the wind window to learn how the kite handles at a near stall. The stall is the fundamental component for a lot of tricks - especially the axel.

Browse the other posts for the kinds of kites people like to have in their A bag. You'll find Benson, Blue Moon, Jest of Eve, Skyburner, Skysport Design and Kitehouse. They're all good kites but don't go crazy lusting after them because you really only need a good standard and maybe a UL. The tricks you can do is part kite and a lot of pilot skill. (I have a set of Transfers, a set of Nirvanas and a few high end standards. My own favorites are the Deep Space and the Widow Maker.)

Tim Benson's DVD is a great learning tool. I especially liked the split screen.

Bob D.
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 12:09 PM »

If you tell us where you live, there may be someone in your area that can chime in a get together for some one-on-one...
CV

Broady

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 02:48 PM »

I live in leicester, UK
Thanks for the help so far
jaydub

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 04:39 PM »

That makes me relatively close compared to most of you, even if I'm 2 hours drive away.

Andy  We will be arranging another Fly In at Hinckley, but it may not be until March.  However, you've acted as a prompt to restart the discussion thread on FA! Smiley
REVflyer
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 05:11 AM »

You might consider putting the kids on a quad-lined kite instead, then they can dump excess air pressure as the need arises.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change