GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 02:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sea Devil wind ranges accurate?  (Read 1560 times)
Makalu1
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: December 23, 2011, 04:23 PM »

I've about talked myself into a Sea Devil.

Does anyone have experience with the Deluxe Light and the Deluxe SUL who can speak to their true wind ranges?

I'm in Salt Lake City and mostly the winds here are pretty light so for sure don't want the Std.  But the Light at 10.8 Oz ("3-15mph" claimed) sounds pretty darned heavy, and the SUL at 7 Oz ("0-5mph" claimed) sounds like an indoor kite.  I lean towards the SUL because I'm mostly interested in outdoor very low wind flying (and getting my money's worth out of a rather expensive kite).  If I go with the SUL I'm hoping it can actually go a bit higher than 5mph without exploding.

Can anyone speak to this from experience?

Also, I tried reaching Lam Hoac via the email link on the SSD webpage with no success.  The stuff on the webpage even looks pretty dated (Dec. 2010).  Can anyone say where his outfit is located now or anything else about it?  I'd prefer to start contact with an email but will use the phone # if no ones got a better email.

Thanks and Merry Christmas to all!

Scott Madsen
SLC, Utah   

Scott Madsen
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 05:40 PM »

I personally would call him he's a great guy and can help you figure out exactly what you need. I dont fly the SD's so i cant comment on them. I fly the fearless and really like them Lam IMO does not exaggerate

have fun kurt
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 05:48 PM »

#1 Wind range of a kite has mostly to do with the experience of the flyer Smiley

#2 Lam just back from a long trip overseas

#3 Call him

#4 I will forward this to him for you

"Do what you like"
RobB

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 06:05 PM »

I have a SD light, and it flies easily in 3mph (lab grade) wind. If the wind is an iffy 3mph or less, I fly my Fearless SUL. The FL SUL will fly in 1-10mph wind with 3pt lower spreaders. It's a great kite for iffy light inland wind.

Makalu1

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 08:53 PM »

Wow!  He must have been expecting my call because I wrote him an email and within 2 minutes of hitting the send button, my phone rang!  You are all correct, he will be a pleasure to work with no matter what I end up purchasing (which I have a feeling will be the SD SUL, unless he talks me into a Transformer). 

Thanks everybody, you have been most helpful!

Scott

Scott Madsen
Magma
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 12:08 AM »

You have to know , freestyle with a SUL is very special :Not a lot of tricks possibles , small gestures , very slow kite.You have to adapt yourself to this kind of kites.More difficult. To me it's better to get before the " touch " for that. Practise before with a STD ( or a good UL if the wind is not strong in Utah ).And after a SUL...

That is my opinion.

Smiley
RobB

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 06:48 AM »

You have to know , freestyle with a SUL is very special :Not a lot of tricks possibles , small gestures , very slow kite.You have to adapt yourself to this kind of kites.More difficult. To me it's better to get before the " touch " for that. Practise before with a STD ( or a good UL if the wind is not strong in Utah ).And after a SUL...

That is my opinion.

Smiley

There are 2 kinds of SULs. Trick SULs and real SULs. True, you're not going to be getting as many tricks in 1 mph of wind, with a trick SUL, you're just spending most of your energy keeping it in the air. With a real SUL, you don't have to move much at all to keep it in the air with 1 mph wind. With the wind blowing 1-3mph, I can get all the tricks I know on my Fearless SUL. So really, you need both...

ko

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 08:42 AM »

I totally agree with Rob(hi rob). I also think that he will agree with me thru experience that there is a BIg learning curve with these kites ,BUT sticking with them pays off big time I am not known for keeping a kite around that does not agree with me LOL the Tattoo is not going anywhere soon but it was close
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 08:44 AM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
Magma
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 08:58 AM »

I can get all the tricks I know on my Fearless SUL...

[/quote]

I'm sure you do. You're a good pilot. I'm talking about beginners and medium levels. Practising with a std and a ul , and after a good sul.
And sorry if I don't explain very well what I want to say. To find exactly the words in english is a bit difficult to me.

Smiley
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 09:02 AM by Magma » Logged
Makalu1

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 09:04 AM »

So Rob, just curious, do you consider the Sea Devil SUL a "trick" SUL or a "real" sul?  Or were you just speaking for the Fearless?

I was encouraged by Lam when he tells me to just let him know what conditions and purposes I need the kite for and he will try to build it accordingly.

I realize the kite doesn't make the flier and basic skills are still necessary to learn.  I still cannot pull off a consistent axel and I realize getting a "better" kite won't make me a better pilot.  I get out as much as I can, but the winds here in the Salt Lake valley are usually pretty crappy and very low, so I use what I've got and practice as much as I can.  When the wind is good the Widow Maker and E3 are my favs for practice.  My Ocius UL is good in lower winds but is harder for me to finesse and learn with- I believe what you are saying is true, Stephane, about first developing "the touch"!  I'm also thinking that John Chilese might have said something about the Ocius having wider bridle attachments making it a bit harder to learn with- was that right, John?  Something like that?   

But some days I just want to fly and figure any flight time is better training than none!  This morning the prayer flags out back are just starting to rise, about .5 to 1.5 mph and it's not going to get any better.  With some work on my part the Ocius UL will stay up in that.  I'm hoping the Sea Devil will too.

So much of this sport seems to be getting that "feel".  For me this does not come naturally and the subtleties are coming on a slow learning curve.  But I don't mind "work" and relish the challenge.  Hey Magma, I'm still eying that Moa  UL- probably later this year for that one!   

Scott Madsen
emegaz

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2011, 09:23 AM »

I have a SUL,light and STD sea devil. SUL is ALOT of working in 1-2 mph. 3-6 is best, yes it will fly in 10 but it wont be any fun about 7. Light is best in 4-9 yes it will fly in 15 but it wont be any fun. Just because someone says it flys in a wind range lets all be serious for a moment. Just cuz it flys in 10 or 15 or 20 doesnt mean its fun. and just cuz you can fly it in 1 doesnt mean its fun either. Cuz this is suppose to be fun not crazy hard work or just working the edge of windows. The SUL is not even close to a indoor kite. Its not a true SUL. Although its the closest tricker to a true SUL that still preforms all tricks very easily that I have flown. Id get the Light. I love all the sea devils but if the wind is down then up then down etc then you wont be switching kites so often. Also Id ask Lam to see what bridle line he is using these days. I got mine 8 years ago and the bridle on the STD and LIGHT wore quickly. And the bridle on the SUL is just spectra. And make sure he back cuts your appliques. 1 out of my 3 is back cut. This is just my 2 cents
Makalu1

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2011, 09:45 AM »

emegaz,

Thanks for all of that.  What to do, what to do...

What I really appreciate are 2 things you reminded me of, the bridle and back cut issues.  Someone else told me the exact same things, bridle wearing out fast and a pain to replace, and the the back cut thing; I think his were older kites, too. 

I don't understand the back cut applique issue, but I will certainly ask.  I should hope that if these are old quality control issues that many people had, they would have been taken care of long ago.     

Scott Madsen
Fearless Object

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2011, 12:46 PM »

Thanks a lot everyone for helping Scott out. I do appreciate.

Have a wonderful Christmas and Happy New Year Smiley All the best in the coming year...

Good day.
Danno419
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2011, 11:04 AM »

I cant speak of the light or sul - but the upper wind range on my old std SD, was not a gimmick.... it could handle a lot.

JoE Talon UL #4
JoE Talon STD #138
Zephyr
4D
Acrobatx
Snapshot 1.2 & 2.5
Hmmmm Talon vent or SUL next... decisions decisions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change