GWTW Forum
July 23, 2014, 02:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tennis Elbow from flying ?  (Read 1941 times)
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2011, 04:58 AM »

The over the top punching was dictated by the conditionsÖ 15-20mph. Itís actually quite a workout flying the QPro VV with the vent panels in.

I'd still say it's a matter of technique. Figure out a way to fly in those conditions that doesn't hurt.

"doctor, it hurts when I do this"

"don't do it"

But really, it's a matter of just getting the same results in a different way. You're still flying, but without the injury.
You're probably right, Iím not doing it right. Iím not looking at what Iím doing, Iím just looking at what the kite is doing. The kite is doing what I want, a box figure with straight lines & 90 degree turns. Itís not that the kite is pulling THAT hard, I mean, Iíve flown foils that pull a lot harder than the QPro. I never think of taking video when the winds are up, but maybe I should to see whatís wrong with what Iím doing.
I could easily fly curved corners and just drive around in the sky, but I donít think I could do that very long without getting bored. Itís just the way Iím wired, I canít relax doing nothing, that makes me anxiousÖ

maybe a little less pull is in order also.I made 1/2 covers for my VV to make it more V this setup definitely gives you more input than with them off completely, but takes some pressure off..
Anyway GET BETTER Kite Party is just around the corner and you know you want too come ps Ithink I got the idea for this mod from Mr.kanaxle pss YOU AINT OLD
Kurt, did you just cut an extra set of panel covers in half ? That might work for me because if I take either the small or the large covers off, the kite flies with a real dead feel to it. Not that itís my favorite kite to begin with, but itís the only two liner that I have that Iíd fly in winds over 15mph. You could fly that kite straight into a brick wall and it wouldnít break !
And yes, Iíd love to go to Kite Party. Before the kids, my wife & I wouldíve travelled to something like that spontaneously, but now that our travel party is 5 instead of 2, and our income has been reduced by 50%... wellÖ Iíll make it out someday. It is on the bucket list. And Iím not old, Iím getting oldÖ just middle aged right now.

Quote from: Allen Carter on Yesterday at 02:06 PM
Quote from: RobB on Yesterday at 08:18 AM
The over the top punching was dictated by the conditionsÖ 15-20mph. Itís actually quite a workout flying the QPro VV with the vent panels in.

I'd still say it's a matter of technique. Figure out a way to fly in those conditions that doesn't hurt.

"doctor, it hurts when I do this"

"don't do it"

But really, it's a matter of just getting the same results in a different way. You're still flying, but without the injury.

My first thoughts too. You aren't hyper-extending on those punches are you? Don't throw your arm to a completely straight, locked elbow position. Remember your biking seating position? you never set the seat so high your leg goes completely straight, that's a sure ticket to knee injuries. Also review how your holding your lines and hands, you're not throwing those punches with your forearm twisted in an unnatural position are you? Again you can correlate that to biking, you have to have your clips set right to avoid any twisting and side loads to your ankle and knee joints.

It could be getting older, it could be the buildup of those small injuries we've all suffered over the years, hopefully like Allen points out, a little modification to your flying style will keep you enjoying the hobby for many years. 
I donít know, I could be punching out straight. Like I said above, Iím not paying too much attention to what Iím doing or my hands, just the kite at the other end of the lines. I always keep the straps around my wrists when the winds are up, I donít want to space out & drop a line and have the buzz-saw of death scenario. I have done that when light wind flying, but then it doesnít matter too much. I will pay attention to my positioning more the next time, but hopefully the winter gusties are going to hibernate for a while. I really need to get out and fly some tricksÖ

I suffered for a long time with elbow problems back when I was flying almost daily. Oddly enough it was my right arm (I'm a lefty) and was pain on the top of the elbow which is typically know as tennis elbow. I now suffer, to a lesser extent, with "golfer's" elbow apparently from cycling. [Ed Note: i wouldn't be caught dead playing golf. Just wanted to get that out of the way.]

I now wear one of those velcro devices with the gel insert when my elbow flares up. I never did that during my heavy flying years and I now know that was a mistake. If I had used one combined with rest and ice therapy, I'd have had a lot less trouble with those right handed Cometes. 

Cortizone injections do also work wonders but go to a qualified sports medicine doctor for that. There is also a stretch exercise my sports doc gave me. Straighten your arm out, press the ends of your fingers down onto the edge of a table and flex your hand backwards. Hold for 30 seconds and repeat several times. That seems to work pretty well for me.

My $.02.
Yes it is the top of the elbow. Just so happensÖ
Sounds like the right thing to do is to get a support device, and try not to beat it up so much. I donít notice it so much while flying, but I think itís caused by flying. Itís when I get back to daily things like lifting the kids or taking out the garbage that it really hurts.
Thanks guys for the fuel for thoughtÖ

inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2011, 04:01 PM »

There is also a stretch exercise my sports doc gave me...

Like Randy said, I find plenty of regular stretches before and after helps a lot. I compound the problem by riding sports motorcycles with clip-ons despite pushing 50 but doing stretches everyday keeps the aches and pains under control.

RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2011, 04:50 PM »

I never fealt the need to stretch out before flying. I mean, I used to when warming up for mountain biking, or snowboarding... but this probably goes back to the old topic of sport vs. pasttime.  Cheesy

I have a lot to pay attention to before the next time I get out to 'punch' some turns. This all has made me think about the whole precision thing a lot more. There's always more to something if you look hard enough. But really, I can't wait to get back to flying some tricks. I don't think I learned any new ones last year, just worked on the ones I knew & tried to do them better.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document