GWTW Forum
October 01, 2014, 05:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tennis Elbow from flying ?  (Read 2125 times)
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« on: December 27, 2011, 04:53 AM »

The winds have been high here for at least a month, so the only 2 line flying that I'm getting in has been high speed figure flying on long lines. So, I'm wondering, since my elbow has started to hurt mysteriously, if any of you precision fliers have ever hurt their elbow from doing too many punch turns. Maybe I hurt it some other way (hefting my 3 kids ?) but flying really aggrevated it yesterday, and it seems to be getting worse every time I fly.
I know, I should stop flying...  Roll Eyes

ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 04:56 AM »

Yeap happened to me.....over a year ago...still hurts Sad
Switched to quads.... Cool

"Do what you like"
RonG
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 06:22 AM »

Sounds like tendinitis, and I've gotten it in both elbows and shoulders from time to time, though usually from the repetitive motion of trying to learn a new trick. 

Ice, ibuprofen, and (if you can manage it) rest should help.
Bill Rogers
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 08:35 AM »

The winds have been high here for at least a month,

Hard pulling kites annoy my tennis elbow, which happens when the wind is up. I used to wear a tennis elbow wrap thing on my forearm when I flew in heavy wind, which helped.

See ya,
Bill
Dano
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 12:18 PM »

I had similar symptoms last year or 2 ago...

Started worrying about my flying too..

Went to the doctors office after a few months of hurting,
he gave me some little shots around the elbow,
and it hasn't hurt since.

Ice and ibuprofin was just temporary relief before the dr visit.
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 12:49 PM »

I don't have that problem yet, but I've experienced what I think of as the precursor to carpal tunnel syndrome for years from the repetitive stuff of computer keyboard use. I had friends go through that surgery and saw how much pain they had. I never ever wanted to experience that, so everytime my hands/wrists would get tired or began with twinges of pain, I would slap on wrist supports and ease up a bit on the keyboard use. After a couple of days of this, things would be better. My hands and wrists are still going strong.

I guess what I'm saying is that an ounce of prevention is a very good thing. Back off a little on the flying, wear elastic supports, maybe an initial visit to the doctor as Dano mentioned. It's worth it in the long run.

Nancy

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 01:59 PM »

If you're hurting after a flying session you need to change your technique. If you're worried about your elbows from doing punch turns, then you are doing some kind of really over the top punching. Relax. Try other ways, especailly combo turns. I use my wrist for the initiation of a punch turn, the hands move faster than the arms, so I start with my wrist cocked and it moves quickly at the beginning of the punch. sort of a flicking punch. Works great for most of the kites I fly, even the big ones.

Most modern kites don't need the kind muscle to change course that some of the old skool kites did.

Much more common to have hand and wrist pain from hard pulling kites. Get the straps off your wrist and into your fist. If you fingers get tired, take a break. Most people's hands can build up flying strength pretty well over a few months.

I had carpal and cubital tunnel surgery on both arms a few years ago and a thing called a Dyna-Flex was great to build up hand and wrist strength. It's a gyroscopic ball that you spin up and the faster it goes the harder it is to hold onto asnd keep spinning. Cheap and effective.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 02:05 PM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
steve.hobart
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 07:30 PM »

Rob
I had the same problem caused by kite boarding.

Physiotherapy, rest from kiteboarding and choosing other activities were the cure.
It took 12 months though..

That's when i took up cycling!!

Cheers
Steve
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 09:57 PM »

Unfortunately Rob, you are going to be noticing more and more of these little tweaks in this joint and that muscle as you get on further down the road.

For me, it's becoming more like a celebration of what doesn't hurt Cry  I have been postponing rotator cuff surgery to the point of now saying I'm too old to do it because of the amount of time necessary to rehab..........I'll live with it and just hope that the Bowflex will keep me strong enough t0 keep going into the sunset years, which I'm afraid have already arrived.  (If I knew I was gonna live this long, I'da taken a bit better care of my temple so to speak) Undecided

Change your exercise program around a bit to strengthen opposing muscles and hope that RA doesn't become a big part of your existence.

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 12:03 AM »

Is it the elbow in your strong arm?

It is possible you are emphasizing tricks from one side of your body. Almost all of us do. If that is the case, work on using your other side more.

One trick I use for carpal t. is to put the mouse for the computer on the left side even though I am much faster with the right. This helps to even out the repetitive motions and, hopefully, put both sides below the threshold of injury.

PATIENT: Doc, it hurts when I do this.
DOCTOR: Don't do that.

Sad, but true.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
RobB

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 05:18 AM »

Yeap happened to me.....over a year ago...still hurts Sad
Switched to quads.... Cool
In the high winds, I've been flying my vented b series Rev, and my vented QPro. I will never make a full switch to quads, because I'm bored of flying them after less than an hour. I always convince myself that it's not too windy for a dual line and end up working on figures, tip stands & landings.

Sounds like tendinitis, and I've gotten it in both elbows and shoulders from time to time, though usually from the repetitive motion of trying to learn a new trick. 

Ice, ibuprofen, and (if you can manage it) rest should help.
Good to hear that it's not too uncommon. It feels like it's the repetitive motion of punching turns. Maybe similar to when you 'throw your arm out' playing baseball.

Hard pulling kites annoy my tennis elbow, which happens when the wind is up. I used to wear a tennis elbow wrap thing on my forearm when I flew in heavy wind, which helped.

See ya,
Bill
I'll have to look for a tennis wrap thing. I assume I'll find one where I got my carple tunnel wrist thingies...

I had similar symptoms last year or 2 ago...

Started worrying about my flying too..

Went to the doctors office after a few months of hurting,
he gave me some little shots around the elbow,
and it hasn't hurt since.

Ice and ibuprofin was just temporary relief before the dr visit.

I hope it doesn't come to a Dr's visit and shots. Flying figures is not why I go out and fly, but sometimes it's what the conditions dictate.

Insert Quote
I don't have that problem yet, but I've experienced what I think of as the precursor to carpal tunnel syndrome for years from the repetitive stuff of computer keyboard use. I had friends go through that surgery and saw how much pain they had. I never ever wanted to experience that, so everytime my hands/wrists would get tired or began with twinges of pain, I would slap on wrist supports and ease up a bit on the keyboard use. After a couple of days of this, things would be better. My hands and wrists are still going strong.

I guess what I'm saying is that an ounce of prevention is a very good thing. Back off a little on the flying, wear elastic supports, maybe an initial visit to the doctor as Dano mentioned. It's worth it in the long run.

I know all about the carpal tunnel thing. A few years ago, I rehabbed 2 houses, back to back. Hammering, screwing, painting all did a number on my wrists. I hope this elbow thing doesn't turn into something as bad as that.

Rob
I had the same problem caused by kite boarding.

Physiotherapy, rest from kiteboarding and choosing other activities were the cure.
It took 12 months though..

That's when i took up cycling!!

Cheers
Steve
I really should dust off my bicycles and get back out there, but I have to wait for hunting season to be over. I think the trails open back up to bicycles in March or April.

Unfortunately Rob, you are going to be noticing more and more of these little tweaks in this joint and that muscle as you get on further down the road.

For me, it's becoming more like a celebration of what doesn't hurt   I have been postponing rotator cuff surgery to the point of now saying I'm too old to do it because of the amount of time necessary to rehab..........I'll live with it and just hope that the Bowflex will keep me strong enough t0 keep going into the sunset years, which I'm afraid have already arrived.  (If I knew I was gonna live this long, I'da taken a bit better care of my temple so to speak)

Change your exercise program around a bit to strengthen opposing muscles and hope that RA doesn't become a big part of your existence.

Jim
A celebration of what doesn't hurt ! That about sums it up. If it's not my back or my neck, it's not too bad. Getting old sucks... you realize that all those fun things you did years ago cost a price now. I'm sure the crazy jumps I used to do on bikes, skiis, and snowboards are a big reason my back hurts every day. I'm sure a number of impacts to my hands & arms have caused my wrists, and now maybe elbow to hurt. If I could go back... I'd probably still do those crazy things...

Is it the elbow in your strong arm?

It is possible you are emphasizing tricks from one side of your body. Almost all of us do. If that is the case, work on using your other side more.

One trick I use for carpal t. is to put the mouse for the computer on the left side even though I am much faster with the right. This helps to even out the repetitive motions and, hopefully, put both sides below the threshold of injury.

Sad, but true.

Yes, I keep thinking of that old joke. I could wrap it up and go home, but Iím getting good at flying in a straight line, and making  sharp 90 degree turnsÖ It happens to be my right arm, but I was just doing box turns, equal left vs. right. Maybe Iím just punching the rights harder.

If you're hurting after a flying session you need to change your technique. If you're worried about your elbows from doing punch turns, then you are doing some kind of really over the top punching. Relax. Try other ways, especailly combo turns. I use my wrist for the initiation of a punch turn, the hands move faster than the arms, so I start with my wrist cocked and it moves quickly at the beginning of the punch. sort of a flicking punch. Works great for most of the kites I fly, even the big ones.

Most modern kites don't need the kind muscle to change course that some of the old skool kites did.

Much more common to have hand and wrist pain from hard pulling kites. Get the straps off your wrist and into your fist. If you fingers get tired, take a break. Most people's hands can build up flying strength pretty well over a few months.

I had carpal and cubital tunnel surgery on both arms a few years ago and a thing called a Dyna-Flex was great to build up hand and wrist strength. It's a gyroscopic ball that you spin up and the faster it goes the harder it is to hold onto asnd keep spinning. Cheap and effective.
The over the top punching was dictated by the conditionsÖ 15-20mph. Itís actually quite a workout flying the QPro VV with the vent panels in. Itís my Ďstrong standardí kite. I do use a squeezy toy to strengthen my wrists & forearms, and to get rid of aggression while driving around here. Iíve seen the gyro ball, and will pick one up the next time I see it in the store.

Thank you all for your advice, Iím glad to hear that itís not that uncommon to be hurting after some flying. Thereís no way Iíll stop flying, but I hope the wind dies down so I can get back to learning to trick.

Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 11:06 AM »

The over the top punching was dictated by the conditionsÖ 15-20mph. Itís actually quite a workout flying the QPro VV with the vent panels in.

I'd still say it's a matter of technique. Figure out a way to fly in those conditions that doesn't hurt.

"doctor, it hurts when I do this"

"don't do it"

But really, it's a matter of just getting the same results in a different way. You're still flying, but without the injury.

Allen, AKA kitehead
ko

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 04:20 PM »

maybe a little less pull is in order also.I made 1/2 covers for my VV to make it more V this setup definitely gives you more input than with them off completely, but takes some pressure off..
Anyway GET BETTER Kite Party is just around the corner and you know you want too come ps Ithink I got the idea for this mod from Mr.kanaxle pss YOU AINT OLD
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 04:29 PM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 09:37 PM »

The over the top punching was dictated by the conditionsÖ 15-20mph. Itís actually quite a workout flying the QPro VV with the vent panels in.

I'd still say it's a matter of technique. Figure out a way to fly in those conditions that doesn't hurt.

"doctor, it hurts when I do this"

"don't do it"

But really, it's a matter of just getting the same results in a different way. You're still flying, but without the injury.

My first thoughts too. You aren't hyper-extending on those punches are you? Don't throw your arm to a completely straight, locked elbow position. Remember your biking seating position? you never set the seat so high your leg goes completely straight, that's a sure ticket to knee injuries. Also review how your holding your lines and hands, you're not throwing those punches with your forearm twisted in an unnatural position are you? Again you can correlate that to biking, you have to have your clips set right to avoid any twisting and side loads to your ankle and knee joints.

It could be getting older, it could be the buildup of those small injuries we've all suffered over the years, hopefully like Allen points out, a little modification to your flying style will keep you enjoying the hobby for many years. 

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
randyg
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 12:29 AM »

I suffered for a long time with elbow problems back when I was flying almost daily. Oddly enough it was my right arm (I'm a lefty) and was pain on the top of the elbow which is typically know as tennis elbow. I now suffer, to a lesser extent, with "golfer's" elbow apparently from cycling. [Ed Note: i wouldn't be caught dead playing golf. Just wanted to get that out of the way.]

I now wear one of those velcro devices with the gel insert when my elbow flares up. I never did that during my heavy flying years and I now know that was a mistake. If I had used one combined with rest and ice therapy, I'd have had a lot less trouble with those right handed Cometes. Wink

Cortizone injections do also work wonders but go to a qualified sports medicine doctor for that. There is also a stretch exercise my sports doc gave me. Straighten your arm out, press the ends of your fingers down onto the edge of a table and flex your hand backwards. Hold for 30 seconds and repeat several times. That seems to work pretty well for me.

My $.02.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document