GWTW Forum
April 23, 2014, 05:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greetings from Aus & getting started  (Read 2943 times)
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 05:35 PM »

Hey Russ,

Fellow Aussie here Cool, although nothings 100%  Roll Eyes this kite flying caper is pretty low impact, not many consistent repetitive movements.
If freestyle is where you think you're heading then the wind levels the freestylers prefer would provide little resistance on the lines. I actually use 2 fingers at most to contact with the kite, it needs 13+ knots to get me noticing that the kite is 'pulling' back, at 9 knots 1 finger on each hand gives you plenty of security and positive contact.

The hard pulling aspect of this sport is generally found in the more ballet/figures flying where 15-20knots is still OK to fly in, me I'm packed up by then  Wink That's why they invented bottleshops for   Undecided

WD

WinterDaze AoF
RussRangs
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 06:06 PM »

Hi WD,

Bet there's not much kite flying happening down there this week, with those crazy temperatures you guys are having.

Funny you should mention Ballet, as I spent a bit of time this morning watching kite ballet vids on YouTube. Seems most are Quad's though, I guess because they are easier to do more precise movements with. As a visual person, I may be drawn more towards the ballet,as some of the freestyle stuff I've seen rom an observers perspective, can look like it's just an out of control kite flapping all over the sky, whereas the more spread out, timed steps of a ballet piece I think would be more appreciated by onlookers. Of course I've only seen a small cross-section of stuff so far, so it's a bit early to judge. Guess I'll just have to try everything and find out for myself Smiley

Russell.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 12:50 AM »

The Gomberg books were written a bit ago and many of the kites then pulled harder then most modern kites. Some of the kites then had enough pull to tighten the straps around your wrists to an uncomfortable level, hence the worry about damaging the carpal tunnel and median nerves, but most of the pressure is on the back of your wrist away from the tendons and nerves. As you've guessed other then a few outdated equipment references the Gomberg books are still pretty good for teaching basic flying techniques.

I've been using the finger strap grip lately, you place your pinky and ring finger into the loop, bring both sides of the strap over your middle and index fingers and grip with your thumb on your index finger. You may not have the fine control of the methods using your index finger on the line but I can't figure out how you keep your finger on the line through slack line tricks and I haven't noticed any loss of control over my previous grip which did fly off only the index finger. If you asked how others hold their straps you'll get as many different methods as you'll get answers, just try a few and see what is comfortable for you.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 01:42 AM »

Hi WD,

Bet there's not much kite flying happening down there this week, with those crazy temperatures you guys are having.

Funny you should mention Ballet, as I spent a bit of time this morning watching kite ballet vids on YouTube. Seems most are Quad's though, I guess because they are easier to do more precise movements with. As a visual person, I may be drawn more towards the ballet,as some of the freestyle stuff I've seen rom an observers perspective, can look like it's just an out of control kite flapping all over the sky, whereas the more spread out, timed steps of a ballet piece I think would be more appreciated by onlookers. Of course I've only seen a small cross-section of stuff so far, so it's a bit early to judge. Guess I'll just have to try everything and find out for myself Smiley

Russell.

weather wise: Tell me about it... beyond frustrating  Embarrassed

Flying wise: As long as you are enjoying it you're doing ok, as to crowd pleasing, I'm happy if someone turns their head when I'm flying, I don't think bleaches are needed down here anytime soon  Cheesy

WinterDaze AoF
RussRangs

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2012, 02:07 PM »

Quote from: WinterDaze link=topic=6691.msg59628#msg59628

Flying wise: As long as you are enjoying it you're doing ok, as to crowd pleasing, I'm happy if someone turns their head when I'm flying, I don't think bleaches are needed down here anytime soon  Cheesy

Yeah true. I'm thinking from the point of view of getting my kids interested though. It needs to look good to them before they'll put any commitment into it.

Cross fingers they'll turn up today, although the Aus Post tracking is either dodgy, or it's been sitting at their end since Tuesday and hasn't left the post office yet...

Russell.
RussRangs

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2012, 06:32 PM »

Right well, 3 weeks after I ordered, and nearly 2 weeks since it was 'posted', we put a bomb under the post office yesterday, and the kites miraculously arrived today!

But, I've just opened the Hypnotist, and it seems the DVD is missing Sad Is it also normal for there to be quite a few marks on the sail as well? I'm wondering if it was a display model and someone hasn't repacked all the bits into it. I go the kite together OK, but won't be able to get out and give it a try for a couple of hours.

Russell.
B-13
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2012, 07:01 PM »

Hi Russ. The DVD missing is common from some suppliers (not the big famous ones) it does not come with the package itself and sometimes they just forget to drop it in the package at time of shipping.
Mail or phone your supplier asap and advise him of the problems you had with the kite.
Also what kind of marks are you having on the kite? Post a photo for us to see if this is normal folding marks or stains. Or just some bad marks left by someone who put a bomb under the post office it was stored before delivery lol

I myself missed the DVD on my first kite the hypnotist, i can feel your pain for this but my supplier shipped it the next day for me.

Proud Member of Kitelife.com #943 Smiley
RussRangs

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2012, 01:43 AM »

The marks aren't that bad, just some black smudges in various places, so I guess it's probably just the oil or something off the rods rubbing off. Was just surprising to see when I opened it.

Only had a short time to get the Addiction in the air. This is supposed to be the most basic one I got, but boy, even that one is super twitchy compared to the old Skynasaur, although the winds this afternoon were rather erratic, which probably didn't help. I feel like I've never flown before Smiley Guess I've got to readjust to the new technologies. One string is a little longer than the other also it seems, which wouldn't have helped, so I'll have to make an adjustment before I try again.

Russell.
B-13

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2012, 02:40 AM »

Russ,

That is the problem with mas production kites, some slip from QC and even the guy doing this may miss some at times Smiley
And did you mailed for the DVD? It is an important tool if you do not have much flyers you can meet in your region. In my case the DVD was a great help and the community here helped me gain much experience.
Lines equalizing is compulsory if you are getting into tricks. These too don't get much QC when in mass. I advise you equalize them and even stretch them before re-sleeving. I found some of my lines has the right one longer by 1cm after 4 months. This is due to my right handed habit to initialize tricks from the right hand. Os now i will swap these to the left one for some time.
If you are new to the new kite designs, then you will find them very twitchy and responsive to every single input from you. Just keep flying for fun and you will get better in some weeks.

Regarding the hypnotist, some mods i did with it were to replace the pigtail with longer leaders (1m20-1m50 long) this will protect your standoffs re-inforcements during turtles and yo-yo. Perhaps not for now but better do it now. I replaced the tensioning system with a bridle type one as for the Zephyr system and cover them with an end cap. This reduced wing tip wraps a lot as you will not get used to slack movements in the beginning.
And last but you may skip this for this moment, is i reduced the turbo leg and now it is only 3cm long. In the leader i did two knots, one with the original turbo length and another one shorter. I find this better for my style on the hypno.

Here yo go for some fun and don't worry about learning all this. Everyone here will help
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 02:56 AM by B-13 » Logged

RussRangs

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2012, 03:09 AM »

And did you mailed for the DVD? It is an important tool if you do not have much flyers you can meet in your region. In my case the DVD was a great help and the community here helped me gain much experience.

A couple of the local guys have offered to help me out on that front, which I'm very grateful for.

As for the Hypnotist mods, thanks for the advice. I'll keep it in mind when I've progressed in my understanding of all things kite a bit more Smiley

Russell.
B-13

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2012, 03:31 AM »

Oh forgot to add that before i fly my kite on first setup. i will measure all bridles, knots, loops length, as precise as i can and note it somewhere. This will come really handy if you ever need to make something in some years or replacing a whole bridle setup. Also the hypnotist features a clip for the lines that i got off from day one. I find this a bit scary to have a piece of metal ready to poke the sail each time you fly. It is easy and just slide the loop of of it after cutting the heat shrink covering the clip itself. Then lines attach via a larkshead knot.

cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2012, 04:42 PM »

Hi and welcome...

My advice is to forget the Prism DVD for now (though it will be worth while later) and pick up Dodd's "Flight School" from Steve... http://www.chicokites.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=55
you won't regret it!
CV

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography