GWTW Forum
December 18, 2014, 05:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chico - First Sunday - First of the Year  (Read 1727 times)
mikenchico
Trade Count: (0)

« on: December 28, 2011, 11:29 PM »

Forecast doesn't look great but only a slight chance of rain, mine shows 0 mph from the ESE at 3:00 PM  Huh

Running a few 360's with a kite might be a good warm up after the annual Polar Bear Swim

Bring your suits  Cheesy  the water should be a balmy 44 degrees ... hey it's above solid ... LOL

Polar Bear Swim Chico CA 2009
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 11:40 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Sketch

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 07:58 PM »

WOW!
Waaaay back in 1957--(that dates my age) I was a senior in high school. My friend DeRoyce Bell and I took our dates out to the Ocean Side beach a few miles West of Tillamook  Oregon about an hour after MIDNIGHT.
(We were going to "watch the submarine races" but somehow Dee's date Marla' and my date, Cary Adams made us both a promise...that if we both would run out into the surf up our arm pits in our birthday suits, that in deed if we did that DEED the payoff would be HUGE--------------
We both just might "GET LUCKY" before the night was through?Huh??--------------------

Now that I think about it....THE ONLY LUCK WE GOT THAT NIGHT was to get back home alive.
Amazing just how imbarressing WHAT ICE COLD WATER and 43 DEGREE AIR TEMP...can do to one's body parts. FAR AND AWAY AS YOU CAN GET FROM "HUGE!" Roll Eyes

TIME CHANGES EVERYTHING...N' ALL THAT JAZZ.

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL UZZZKITE KRAZZZEEES!

(Mike..perhaps it might be best if MY post would disssssssssapppppppear as quickly as our passions did that night sooooooooooo long ago. Cry

[attachment deleted by admin to converve server storage space]
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 09:06 AM by Sketch » Logged
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 11:05 PM »

HAving done that unintentionally slipping on we leaves cleaning up a winter storm mess at one of my customers I can tell ya that crap is COLD!!!.  YOu have to be nuts to do that on purpose
mikenchico

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 11:21 AM »

LOL ... I did it once ...

The event is totally unsponsored by the City of Chico and nobody claims to be the organizer although we all know who the guilty parties are  Wink  he happens to be an inactive kite enthusiast too. Kite flyers always seem to be just off center enough that somebody else might've been up for taking a swim in January so I had my suit, towel and flip-flops with me just in case.

The year I did it the water was over the banks of that pool and rushing faster then was really safe, there were concerns that people might go over the dam so a safety rope was strung across upstream of the dam and they were encouraging people to start a good distance from the dam. I hit the water and looked back to see the two people who were with me climbing back out, light weights. Well I was in so I was going, but about half way across a kid I was passing seemed to be floundering a bit in the water and the parents must've hit the water and bounced quickly to the other side since I couldn't see anybody else paying attention so I had to cut my pace to a dog paddle to stay with the young man. We both made it safely to the other side without help, in fact the kid probably didn't even know I was standing by just in case so he got the full pride of accomplishment. But kicking that submerged log when I went feet down into a dog paddle with frozen toes hurt like heck!

Some Neoprene socks would make doing that easy, the frozen feet were only part I recall being too unpleasant, the burning skin warms quickly as well as those other parts too

Seinfeld take on Shrinkage

the funniest Seinfeld I saw

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Dano
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 06:00 PM »

First sunday in Reno wasn't all that great for wind, but i've been getting lots of practice on my inner space and loving it! got my 1st 2 540's down real nice yesterday  Grin

Today, first in over 2 months i got to fly something other than a ul/sul...
8-14mph for a few hours was soooo nice. Sweet vented rev flying time.  Grin Grin

You guys up there get any of that good wind today?  Smiley

ps- belated Merry Christmas and New Years to my friends up north.

-dano
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 06:10 PM »

WAs a nice 3-6 all day in ripon yesterday.  I started out at 9am an left at dusk with soaked kites from the fog n wet grass, sore legs and a wet behind from several slips lol.
mikenchico

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 11:01 PM »

Chico's day started out looking great, Steve was there when Rhonda & I showed up around noonish after breakfast at Marie Calenders and we all threw some SLK's up. Ted & Jim showed up just a bit later and started to get some more stuff up. Took a short walk with Rhonda for some exercise and the the wind had turned a bit funky, up and down the rest of the day. The SLK's settled and after an hour or so we left them down and flew a few duals on & off. The Widowmaker, Jim's Techno & 4D all saw a bit of air time until around 4 when the predicted wind shift appeared to be starting and there was nothing, flew that 360 to get the WM back to the chairs and called it a day.

Couldn't have asked for a nicer day except for a bit more wind. Good company, sunny and warm. Quite a few families came out to the park to fly kites and ride their new bikes and scooters.

cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 04:21 PM »

You folks flying tomarrow?
CV

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum