GWTW Forum
October 21, 2014, 02:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Quad flight  (Read 3955 times)
Kitelife
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 10:21 AM »

Another great practice, try the various IRBC compulsory shapes for competition...

http://reeddesign.co.uk/kites/iskcb/index.html#MI

There's a key moment when you switch from simply "trying to keep it up" to actually putting the kite in a direction and orientation that you want... Regardless of your initial success, just having and attempting a flight plan will accelerate your learning process. Wink

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
B-13
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 11:11 AM »

Thanks everyone for the support. Bob, i can actually dive stop the SS 1-3 feet from the ground but must fine tune it and trying to keep it in a hover. It is now flying back up in reverse too quickly Smiley but i will keep practicing it until i get a Rev 1.5

John, thanks for the link. I am now trying to fully control the kite from up down, fly forward in vertical and hover it vertically. I keep the upper part toward the wind to keep constant and stable altitude and practicing it not flying forward or reverse. Turning 180deg and doing same with the other wing.
I know the SS is a bit hard to learn on but taking full control of this beast will make my learning on another more precise kite easier (i hope lol)
It's the brake that i need to fine tune right now as i apply sometimes too much or too little in stop maneuvers.

Proud Member of Kitelife.com #943 Smiley
dayhiker
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 05:07 PM »

Sounds like what I am currently doing.  I've read, watched, pretended & have come to the realization I really just need to get in flight time.  "Flew" the Revolution 1.5 for an hour today & made some progress.  For me it is so challenging that even minor progress is enough.
update 1/20/13 Third time flying the 1.5 today, finally had that key moment John mentions.  Took three sessions just as Mikenchino had said.  A few more flights & I will launch the Power Blast I have waiting.  Watching the Power Blast DVD a couple times really helped me understand what to do.  It will just get better each time now I'm sure.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 05:51 PM by dayhiker » Logged

"Well him & my uncle tore that engine down
 I still remember that rumblin' sound"   Steve Earle
trigger

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2013, 07:59 PM »

You will soon have great control and be amazed at what you can do.   Play with the brake settings in different wind- it really helps with hovers and reverse flight.

I have only flown since september and feel i can hold my own with others(i mean that loosely!)  Now i make sure to add music and John had the great idea on practicing patterns.  Kinda work it all together and have a great time outside enjoying the wind.  Hopefully you can meet some people in your area that will accelerate your progress 10fold!
dayhiker

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2013, 05:36 PM »

Actually I have never seen anyone fly a Rev.  But will fly with the Got Wind? people as soon as they get together again.  No one flies kites where I live.  I intend to change that.

"Well him & my uncle tore that engine down
 I still remember that rumblin' sound"   Steve Earle
trigger

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2013, 06:55 PM »

There are some great clubs around.. they are your portal!  Kite festivals are great too.  Both may require some driving but are well worth it!  Look in the members sections and see if they have locators also.  You may find some people close by. 

If you ever get up to chicago area.....I think I can get a few guys together for ya!!!!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change