GWTW Forum
December 21, 2014, 10:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BBC UK China  (Read 627 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: January 13, 2012, 11:34 AM »

It all started yesterday:

On Jan 12, 2012, at 3:49 AM, Nour S wrote:

Dear Mr. Chilese, I am a designer at the BBC World Service. I would like to ask you about the possibility of using the following image as a background image for our BBC UK China site (www.bbcukchina.com) which we are in the process of redesigning. http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/6PEdVfPRHu_P4cWN7KfuRQ I would like to mention that the BBC doesn't make any revenue from that site although the BBC doesn't classify as a non-commercial organisation. We can arrange for crediting the image with your name at the footer of the site, bearing in mind that we might make a few alterations to it, like slightly changing the colour of the sky and removing the label 'Revolution' from the kite for editorial reasons. Please let me know if this is something you may consider. Our site will be launching in the coming two weeks so it would be good to hear back from you soon. I'd appreciate it if you could get back to me at my professional email address (email address removed) Many thanks and best regards, Nour Saab
______

Sent: 12 January 2012 20:40
To: Nour Saab
Subject: Union Jack Photograph Request

Thank you for contacting me for permission to use one of my photographs.

The answer is NO.

Reasons:

1 The Chinese factories are already making knock-offs of the Revolution kites.
            Removing the label just adds to the legal troubles.
            I have contacted Revolution kites on this matter as their kite is so prominent.

2 As the BBC is not a kite related venture, I must charge for the use.
            I have had my photos used on the internet with permission many times.

3 If you can come up with some amount of money that I would be able to split with
            Revolution and get them to allow the use of the photo, that would be fine with me.

4 In any case, the photo credit would have to be given on the photo and the
            Revolution label would have to remain.

Thank you for your consideration,
John Chilese
_____

On Jan 13, 2012, at 2:09 AM, Nour Saab wrote:

Dear Mr. Chilese,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Unfortunately we can't use the photograph on our site without editing it. So we're going to look for other alternative images.

Best wishes,
Nour
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 11:35 AM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 11:52 AM »

It's a no brainer why they wanted it .It's a great shot Nice of them too at least ask though

have fun kurt
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 12:11 PM »

Quite understand your reasons John. From the BBC's point of view as their revenue comes from license fees, not commercials their charter does not allow them to overtly advertise products hence the reason they wanted to remove the 'Revolution' label. Nice picture though!

BBC one Kites Ident (2006-)

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum