GWTW Forum
October 23, 2014, 11:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any fliers in Central Texas?????  (Read 1121 times)
mrcorbs
Trade Count: (0)

« on: January 06, 2012, 12:48 PM »

I live in Central Texas near Fort Hood. I have been flying around the area for a good year and a half and I'm beginning to think that I'm the only one. Since I have started this whole kite flying fanaticism  a year and a half ago I haven't seen one other person flying......at all. I get a lot of interested bystanders and passerby's that will stop, watch and inquire but no takers. I guess its kind of cool for me as I am the ONLY fish in a small pond and in my pond I am the most dazzling and best pilot this side of the Mississippi hahaha. Honestly though, it would be great to meet up with some local fliers that share the  passion for kites as much as I do and learn a few new tricks and stuff.

I walked backwards 3 miles yesterday...
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 01:02 PM »

If there are no other fliers in your area, you will need to become the Dr. Frankenstein of kiting and create some. Start with co-workers or buddies who have a geek tendency and bring them to the field, or show them one of your high-tech kites at the office.

Explain how kites are chick magnets and let nature take its course.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
mrcorbs

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 01:22 PM »

Hahaha yea I have tried to get some friends to give it a try but to no avail...All three of my boys have kites but they  usually get frustrated and quit flying after about 45 minutes. Then they stand there looking at me like they are ready to go home. Last fall the local newspaper did a short article on me and my kiting. I hoped that maybe it would spark some interest but...... I usually try to fly at very visual places where I can get good exposure to the public but sadly I have yet to meet another one of my kind. I have considered posting an ad in the local craigslist and stuff to get a club or something going. It would be great to share ideas and tips.

Jim Foster

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 01:30 PM »

Do yo have a wife?  If so, get her flying.  That's what I did.

Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun
kepople
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 05:26 PM »

I tried to get my wife kiting, then I realized if I get her into it, she will figure out how much some of my kites cost...  Cheesy

I am near Dallas and I know about 3 other guys who do stunt flying, then there is DAKO who fly buggies and everything.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 05:34 PM »

Kirby if she sews it is a great way to get her in!!!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
mrcorbs

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 07:50 PM »

Ehh....my wife has tried it out but she is too premadonna for that kind of stuff. Its usually me going solo during the week.... Im about to subject her to a good 3 hour flying session so she can fllm my flying.....As far as her knowing how expensive kites are...the gig is up...lol! Today i just bought a new prism zephyr online, due to come in next week or so...Im going to have lie! and tell her i got it for next to nothing if it comes in while she is home. If it comes in while she is not home she wont know the difference...hehehe!

Hi my name is Corby and Im an addict......

fratz

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 07:36 AM »

Hi Corby,
The problem is that Texas is so darn big.  There is DAKO in the N. Dallas/DFW area with 60+ members.  They do like to buggy, but there are a number of sport kite and slk flyers also.  You are closer to the Austin area so you may want to reach out to the Cloud Chasers (groups.yahoo.com/group/Cloud_Chasers).  There are some in the Round Rock area that are avid flyers.  I think Team EOL is mostly around Round Rock.  Must see kite festivals coming up where you can meet up with the are:  Zilker in Austin (I think this will be thier 84-5th year with over 20K in attendance, not much space left for personal flying, but good folks), SPI kite festival (a bit of a drive but well worth it.  Voted best kite festival in the US for 2010 and the first weekend in Feb.  You will meet many of the folks from the central Tx area including Team EOL.  iQuad and Rev Riders should be there also).  I live in Arlington, Tx and in the DFW area we will have a number of festivals this spring.  Go to the AKA calendar for a listing or the DAKO.us site for the regional calendar maintained by Troy Gunn for the latest updates on events in our region.

Hope to catch up with you at one of them,

Dallas O. 
mrcorbs

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 03:37 PM »

Hey thank you so much for the information!!!! That was very useful!

greenbulletblues

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 09:34 AM »

You think you have it bad HuhHuh?  Try to find some kiters in Birmingham, Alabama.   Grin 
tiochango

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 10:50 AM »

I'm in Round Rock.  Just started flying (and lurking on this forum) a couple months ago.  I usually go out with my wife and 4 yr old son.  He enjoys flying single line kites, and I just got my wife a Nexus which she flew for the first time yesterday.

According to a guy at the local kite shop in Austin, the Cloud Chasers were getting together at Old Settlers Park in Round Rock the third Sunday of every month.  I went once and looked around the park and did not find anyone.  This thread is the first I've heard of Team EOL or that the Cloud Chasers had a Yahoo group. I've submitted a join request for the group, but it doesn't look like it is as active (judging from the message history) as it once was. 
mrcorbs

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 09:33 AM »

I'm in Round Rock.  Just started flying (and lurking on this forum) a couple months ago.  I usually go out with my wife and 4 yr old son.  He enjoys flying single line kites, and I just got my wife a Nexus which she flew for the first time yesterday.

According to a guy at the local kite shop in Austin, the Cloud Chasers were getting together at Old Settlers Park in Round Rock the third Sunday of every month.  I went once and looked around the park and did not find anyone.  This thread is the first I've heard of Team EOL or that the Cloud Chasers had a Yahoo group. I've submitted a join request for the group, but it doesn't look like it is as active (judging from the message history) as it once was. 

Yea I joined their group after I reading that previous post. They have sent me a few Emails regarding their kite gatherings at old settlers park. I was really stoked about going last sunday but it was really windy that day and I didnt go. I didnt want to drive for 45 minutes and end up standing around praying that the gusts would settle.(Im not much for flying in high winds) Hopefully, next month will be a little better because I would really love to get out and fly with others. My only outlet to others so far is the forums and stuff. I have pretty much learned all my tricks and stuff watching youtube videos (Dpmama74 is my sensei...lol) If I end up heading that way I could PM you if you like so at least somebody will be out there...lol! 

tiochango

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 11:18 AM »

Yeah, definitely let me know if you decide to head down next month. 

I didn't go last Sunday because I forgot about their monthly gathering being on that day.  I did go fly at a park closer to my house, though.  Winds were a little gusty at first, but then mellowed out mid-late afternoon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change