GWTW Forum
August 20, 2014, 11:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Electronic Picture frames??  (Read 1516 times)
Sketch
Trade Count: (0)

« on: December 21, 2011, 08:05 AM »

I have been noticing a GLUT of ELECTRONIC PICTURE FRAMES on the market and have been thinking about having a small one next to our desk.

However on one website...they mentioned that a few on the market have "contained a virus" which ends up infecting the PC that the photos were created with?

Uhhh? I would think that just the opposite might be true...( that the virus was already on the PC and then...from there was possibly transfered onto the little Electronic Picture frame?

For a desk...I am considering the smaller 7 or 8 inch sizes?

Any thoughts or recommendation? Undecided
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 11:17 AM »

Viewsonic VFD823-50 8-Inch Digital Photo Frame or
ViewSonic DF88W 8-Inch Wide Digital Picture Frame  if you prefer wide format.

If you run your PC for a majority of the day, gPhotoShow is a nice little screensaver slideshow that is available in free and paid versions.

If you are going to run a dedicated digital photo frame, plug it into a surge protector.  Too easy to "brick" them due to a small power surge.

ATB,
Sam
Sketch

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 01:19 PM »

Thanks Sam!
Good idea about that surge protector.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 05:32 PM »

Make sure your antivirus is up to date. Check your settings, they should be set to monitor any external storage devices by default but I would look, maybe even run a full manual scan when first plugged into your PC just to be safe.

When my Dad was getting Mom a digital camera for christmas I used the opportunity to get them a digital photo frame with a battery option so on trips in the camper they could plug in the card and review the days photos and back them up to the frame. They would never take or use a laptop so I figured that might be a simple and small option.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
AKA_MrBill
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 06:30 AM »

Make sure your antivirus is up to date. Check your settings, they should be set to monitor any external storage devices by default but I would look, maybe even run a full manual scan when first plugged into your PC just to be safe.

When my Dad was getting Mom a digital camera for christmas I used the opportunity to get them a digital photo frame with a battery option so on trips in the camper they could plug in the card and review the days photos and back them up to the frame. They would never take or use a laptop so I figured that might be a simple and small option.

Excellent suggestions Mike! I really like the idea of using the photo frame on trips as a backup for you day's shots. Now, if I can just find one that works with CR2 RAW images. Cheesy
Sketch

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 10:46 AM »

PICKED UP A NEW HP 8 INCH DIGITAL PHOTO FRAME ON SALE FOR $39.00 Roll Eyes Wink
Worked great..so far...at least (for about 4 individual downloads...SUDDENLY after tranferring  these photos from my F drive onto my little  3 year old "Gigaware 4GB thumb flash drive..sucessfully about 4 seperate times----

Strange things are beginning to show up? Just maybe...I appears that I might  have TOASTED MY little cheapie' " $7.95 GIGGITY 4GB thumb drive?[/b]

I have been deleting the  previously downloaded photos from my Giggity thumb flash drive... each time before transferring more new photos from my external F drive...
UHHH?
For some reason....when I plugged the NOW empty flash drive back into the computer...that little Giggieeware "thumbs down" drive---
pops up  this message saying I need to "reformat" this little USB flash drive?

So far with NO RESULTS in either reformatting or transferring photos on this little GADDLY GIGGITY thumb flash drive?

Stopped by our local Radio Shack store.
Purchased a new SanDisk Disk USB flash drive 4GB that was also on sale for less than $8.00

Bottom line: This new flash drive works great...after numerous transfers from my external WD hard drive onto the Digital Picture frame...
Only change I made in the process was to "turn off" the Picture Frame...before removing the USB flash drive from the unit.
(recommended by the Radio Shack puter geek?) Undecided

[attachment deleted by admin to converve server storage space]
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 09:01 AM by Sketch » Logged
oyehut1955
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 06:55 AM »

I bought my boss one for Christmas last year and I keep it up to date for her.. we store all the photos on a sd card

"it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string"

http://community.webshots.com/user/oyehut1955
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document