GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 02:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My "Soul" in Central Park  (Read 969 times)
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« on: January 07, 2012, 04:11 PM »

Hi,

I have spent a few days of these Christmas holidays in NYC and I took advantage of this to have Steve send me a new Soul I bought to him to my hotel.
Everything worked out perfect Steve! Thanks so much!

I would have liked to go to fly it to Liberty Park as recommended but since I was with my family (a party of 10) this was a bit asking too much.
So the only thing I managed to do was to take it to Central Park to make it a bit dirty (no wind that day and all the lawns were closed for winter season...  Sad )
Below you may see a couple of pictures of the premiere of my Soul at the heart of NYC:

http://www.dtic.upf.edu/~npares/personal/kites/Nar6-Soul-fly_at_CentralPark_Small.jpg
http://www.dtic.upf.edu/~npares/personal/kites/Soul-at-CentralPark_Pano_small.jpg
http://www.dtic.upf.edu/~npares/personal/kites/N6-Soul-CentralPark-Bridge_small.jpg

(BTW, I took the kite in the airplane cabin as hand baggage and I had no trouble at all, even when going in a long flight from NY-JFK to Madrid and then changing over to another flight to Barcelona. Of course I had it in its most folded version).

I have come back only a couple of days ago and I have only had the chance of flying it once with very low wind.
Nevertheless it is really nice to fly. Much slower and gentler than the Nexus!
It floats a lot! I was almost managing to do the ascending turtle without me really trying...  Huh

I found it strange that it came with the exterior short standoffs instead of having the long ones as a default. Is this normal?
According to the manual, the short ones provide a more "floaty" flight so I was wondering whether I should really start to fly with the longer standoffs and once I get more control then change to the short ones. Any suggestions or comments on this?

I will be reporting more as I get to fly it in the future.
Happy New Year everyone!

N.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 04:14 PM by Ara Ararauna » Logged

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 07:09 PM »

Excellent kite.

skb™, thanks for the photos on the conversion.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Hadge

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 02:33 AM »

You are really going to enjoy your new Soul when you get to know it!  Cool

I usually fly on the longer standoffs, the shorter ones are supposed to help with the floaty stuff but I haven't really tried them properly.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 04:41 AM »

Hi Hadge,

Yes, I just flew the Soul with the short standoffs for the second time and, although I acknowledge the wind was gusty and changing direction which did not make flying easy, the kite tends to float too much for a beginner. I think I will change them for the longer ones until I get to know the kite better.

The effect I'm currently getting is that when the lines go slack, because the wind drops or because I pull back a little too much, the kite starts floating out of control. Even if I start running backwards to recover tension on the lines, the kite looks like a leaf falling in autumn and often the lines get tangled on the wings.
So I will change the standoffs now and will try them next time I go out to fly.
I will keep reporting.

Cheers!

N.

BTW, I didn't imagine the difference in size with respect to the Nexus until I put them together! Now the Nexus looks like a toy kite (although I still like to fly it  Wink )

[attachment deleted by admin to converve server storage space]
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 04:43 AM by Ara Ararauna » Logged

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Hadge

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 05:14 AM »

I know it is very exciting when you get a new kite and you can't wait to go out and fly it, but there is one job you need to do first.  As you know the Soul has lots of adjustment knots on all of the bridle legs - before you start adjusting things you need to take a piece of paper and write down which knot each of the bridle lines is set to when you received the kite, better still mark the knot on each bridle leg with something like white 'Tippex' correction pen. Then measure from the nose of the kite to the top of the upper leading edge fitting and then from the nose to the lower L/E fitting - this will help when you need to replace parts. Measure the bridle legs as standard. Finally take a few photos of your kite showing where everything fits. Now put the piece of paper somewhere safe.

All this only takes a few minutes, but in the future when something breaks or you have been adjusting or replacing the bridle this standard information will be invaluable.

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 09:22 AM »

Great! Thanks a lot for the guidance.

I will do that as soon as I can. I noticed the bridle is much, MUCH more complex than that of the Nexus. I even thought I would have to do something different during flight...  Wink

I will use black permanent marker for the bridle since my Soul came with white bridles, which I don't really like too much. I especially didn't like that they used the same white bridle thread for tensing the sail at the wing tips and it shows a lot over the black LE, rods and tip ends...  Angry

So I guess it is indeed wise to have all the measures and pictures taken.

I also wanted to comment that the instructions on tensing the sail were not crystal clear to me. So I'm not 100% sure I did it right.
Is there a standard way of doing this in all kites?
Is there a specific way for the Soul?
Do you (or anyone else) have any pictures on how this is done?

Thanks for the advise!

N.

In my bag...
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 09:30 AM »

I modified my Soul with an AeroStar Sano SS Shape Shifters modification

Thanks SKB I will consider this option for future adventures once I am proficient with the standard configuration.
Cheers,

N.

In my bag...
Hadge

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 03:17 PM »

Loop the line from the lower hole through the end nock, then pull the long end coming down from the top hole until it is tight, loop it through the nock again and put the end cap on.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change