GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 11:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nose repair and preventative care.  (Read 1734 times)
Adamld13
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: January 08, 2012, 04:56 PM »

The nose on a few of my kites are starting to show some wear.
Im wondering if anybody has any tips on nose repair or preventative care?

thnx!

tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 05:30 PM »

2 key items:

1) tape it.  Gaffers or the lightweight Dacron stuff.   Even cart wheeling on hard ground will eventually wear your nose and start to fray it.  Once it frays, it starts to pull apart.   The tape also prevents the cut edges from fraying.   If you do it cleanly, you can hardly notice it.

2) avoid nose plants - snap your arms forward before you hit the ground. 

6 kite tom
Adamld13

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 07:26 PM »

Thanks Tom  Smiley
Ya i have noticed it doesnt take much to get a nose to start fraying. Cry
 Is this gaffers tape readily available?
I like how it comes off clean.

DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 08:07 PM »

shurtape 665, 2 inch is what i get most. $15-20 for a roll, you can tear it to any width you like.
You can also look for 'spike tape' ,runs about $5-10 a roll.
guitar/dj/stage lighting places have it. Guitar center has it but you pay a little more

Sine Metu!
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 07:35 AM »

Others swear by PlastiDip, it's a rubberized coating to dip tool handles into, you just brush it on your kite don't dip the kite. Personally I've never used it to coat a nose and since it's permanent I would be more inclined to go with the Gaffers Tape as a protectant.

I can see PlastiDip as a repair medium though, having used it for other purposes I know it's some pretty tuff stuff. To repair a badly frayed nose you could Super Glue the fraying and trim any left over loose threads then coat with thinned PlastiDip to bond the webbing together. It'll be sort of like the rubberized tarp fabric being used on some Euro kites noses now. Hopefully your kites haven't reached this point.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 07:38 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
mrcorbs
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 10:25 AM »

I have never had much luck with tape and believe me...I have tried a wide variety of tapes. I have heard a lot about plastiDip but I have yet to try it. I used that shoe goo stuff on all of my kites and it seems to hold up just fine. I used to use that stuff on my shoes a long long looooooong time ago when I was a skater kid. It definetly saved me from needing new shoes every month when the sandpaper grip tape from the board would eat through the side of my shoes. Thats how tough this stuff is!

The pros: its cheap, you can find it just about anywhere, its tough stuff, if you have some rough spots you can sand them smooth, its lightweight and its permanent.

The cons: it doesnt look too pretty once it starts getting dirty and scratched up, it can be a pain to apply as it begins drying as soon as it comes out of the tube and its permanent.

I walked backwards 3 miles yesterday...
Adamld13

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 05:05 PM »

Others swear by PlastiDip, it's a rubberized coating to dip tool handles into, you just brush it on your kite don't dip the kite. Personally I've never used it to coat a nose and since it's permanent I would be more inclined to go with the Gaffers Tape as a protectant.

I can see PlastiDip as a repair medium though, having used it for other purposes I know it's some pretty tuff stuff. To repair a badly frayed nose you could Super Glue the fraying and trim any left over loose threads then coat with thinned PlastiDip to bond the webbing together. It'll be sort of like the rubberized tarp fabric being used on some Euro kites noses now. Hopefully your kites haven't reached this point.

I have heard of using rubber like spray ons and things like plastiDip....sounds like a good fix.
Having a rubber nose sure sounds like it would last alot longer.
None of my kites noses are even that bad....I just want to preserve them if possible.

Ca Ike

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 05:11 PM »

I use Plati-dip on my noses and it works great.  You don't need much at all just enough to cover the top all the way across the nose.  As for dipping the kite, thats actually the best way to get a neat even coat but the problem is the can it comes in is too narrow.  What I do is take an old sardine can or a tuna can cut to 1/4 inch deep, put some Plasti-dip in it, THen with the upper spreader in to hold the kite open I dip the nose in rolling it from side to side if needed to coat the nose just enough to go about 1/8 inch down the sides.  Adds about .003g to the weight of a kite on average.
Adamld13

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 05:16 PM »

I have never had much luck with tape and believe me...I have tried a wide variety of tapes. I have heard a lot about plastiDip but I have yet to try it. I used that shoe goo stuff on all of my kites and it seems to hold up just fine. I used to use that stuff on my shoes a long long looooooong time ago when I was a skater kid. It definetly saved me from needing new shoes every month when the sandpaper grip tape from the board would eat through the side of my shoes. Thats how tough this stuff is!

Shoo goo! haha That stuff is awesome!
I used to use that stuff on my skate shoes too!
Its def made your shoes last a whole lot longer but i remember it really being a mess and not very visually appealing. Im very particular about details so i want the finish product to look clean.
The problem with shoo goo is that it is more clear and like you said once it gets dirty
it starts to look like *&%$. Just a black rubber would def look the best.

Thnx for the great ideas so far everybody!

Adamld13

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 05:37 PM »

I use Plati-dip on my noses and it works great.  You don't need much at all just enough to cover the top all the way across the nose.  As for dipping the kite, thats actually the best way to get a neat even coat but the problem is the can it comes in is too narrow.  What I do is take an old sardine can or a tuna can cut to 1/4 inch deep, put some Plasti-dip in it, THen with the upper spreader in to hold the kite open I dip the nose in rolling it from side to side if needed to coat the nose just enough to go about 1/8 inch down the sides.  Adds about .003g to the weight of a kite on average.

What about the plastiDip in the spray?
Which is better?

Smeagol
Trade Count: (+82)

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 05:41 PM »

I used the spray on my old SD nose repair, came out pretty good.  It was nice 'cause you could do multiple thin coats of it instead of just dunking the whole nose or having to brush it on.

-Mike
tpatter

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 05:45 PM »

If potential resale is a concern, I wouldn't do anything to the kite that is not easily undone. 

6 kite tom
Adamld13

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 05:55 PM »

If potential resale is a concern, I wouldn't do anything to the kite that is not easily undone. 

Resale is def a big concern.
I myself would only use the PlastiDip on a nose that is completely ruined or on a kite that I never intend to sell, im sure we can all agree original is best.
I think that both Plastidip and gaffers tape are great ideas.....just depends on the situation!

thnx again!

Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 05:58 PM »

If you ever might want the nose rebuilt, do not get glue in there. Some folks use it as a temporary fix but it is very time consuming to do the reconstructive surgery necessary to remove a glued nose and generally doesn't end up looking all that great.
I'd recommend replacing it if tape or dollar bills wadded up inside won't do the trick.

Like folks above have said only use glue on a sail that's pretty much dead anyway.
Ca Ike

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 08:09 PM »

If you ever might want the nose rebuilt, do not get glue in there. Some folks use it as a temporary fix but it is very time consuming to do the reconstructive surgery necessary to remove a glued nose and generally doesn't end up looking all that great.
I'd recommend replacing it if tape or dollar bills wadded up inside won't do the trick.

Like folks above have said only use glue on a sail that's pretty much dead anyway.
  NEVER use glue on a nose repair. Never use any spray on coatings because, no matter how careful you are you WILL get overspray on the sail.  If you have to sew a hole closed a drop of CA glue to hole the thread end is ok.  Also when building kites don't tape the entire nose webbing in place as it makes it a royal pain to replace.  I can't agree with Will more here.  A glued up or taped on nose webbing takes easily 5 times longer to replace.

Resale is def a big concern.
I myself would only use the PlastiDip on a nose that is completely ruined or on a kite that I never intend to sell, im sure we can all agree original is best.
I think that both Plastidip and gaffers tape are great ideas.....just depends on the situation!

thnx again!

Plasti-dip is a silicone rubber with ethanol based solvents in it so it is pretty much harmless to sail cloth. Most other products use acetone type solvents which will strip sail cloth coatings and change the composition of the nylon or polyester making it softer and weaker and if enough gets on it it will dissolve the sail cloth.  IT holds well but can be easily peeled off if needed, last longer than pure silicone products, has a higher abrasion resistance and has really good impact absorption.  I have yet to have it affect a resale price on a kite. I have a kite thats 30 years old now and has had the nose plasti-dipped its entire life and underneath it the nose is still pristine.  You don't need much and if done right you never really notice it.  One dip make a layer about 1/32 inch thick. Thats usually all you need and it will last a long time before you need to redo it.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 08:11 PM by Ca Ike » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change