GWTW Forum
October 21, 2014, 05:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trouble downloading YouTube videos  (Read 1917 times)
Jim Foster
Trade Count: (0)

« on: January 08, 2012, 05:58 PM »

For several months YouTube videos have been very slow.  Other video sites download just fine.  I can watch streaming video on Hulu in the highest definition.   I have the latest flash player and the latest version of Firefox.  The YouTube videos don't want to start, and when they do, they will download a short time and stop.  Hitting "refresh" will sometimes get them started again, but they seldom download to completion.

I went to the YouTube forum, and others seem to have the same problem.

How about you?

Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 06:35 PM »

No issues here. Have you tried using Chrome?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Jim Foster

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 06:40 PM »

Just tried Chrome at Mike Kory's suggestion.  Same result.  Same with Internet Explorer as well.

This is what I am using.

Toshiba Satellite A505 64 bit, Firefox 9.0.1 Adobe Flash Player 11.1.102.55

Cable internet with our WIFI we have had for several years.

Current download speed 3.35 Mbps

madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 12:36 AM »

It has seemed a tad slow on some of their videos of late, but if you can catch it when it IS running (even for just a second), tap the PAUSE button. Go getcher self a cup of coffee, hit the potty, run to get the mail... or whatever. After several minutes, you should have enough of the video "buffered" and it should run smoothly after tapping the PLAY button. After you do this song'n dance a few times, you'll get a feel for how long you need to let it sit on PAUSE before attempting to watch.

I always try to just view a video first-- some are fine. If they hiccup more than once, I suck it up and do the PAUSE-thing.

Nancy

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
johnfarl

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 09:18 AM »

It does seem slow at times.  But Vimeo is about the same.  It could be server loading.  I remember when this all started and AOL was getting started.  Everytime they had a promotion they would slow to crawl until they got the lines and hardware to handle the demand.  The another promo and back to catchup.

I don't know the numbers for these video services but with all the mobile devices coming on I bet they are just getting overwhelmed.

John
ghfisanotti

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 10:08 AM »

If that problem happened here, I'd say the ISP is doing some "traffic profiling".
Doc Z
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 10:12 AM »

Jim Foster

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 12:26 PM »

I don't know the numbers for these video services but with all the mobile devices coming on I bet they are just getting overwhelmed.

John

John, you may have hit the nail on the head.

Jim Foster

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 12:30 PM »

If that problem happened here, I'd say the ISP is doing some "traffic profiling".

I know that an ISP can "Throttle Down" selected web sites, so I gave them a call and they assured me that they do not do that for YouTube or any other site.

madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 01:28 PM »

"cheering for gray"

lol.... and that's the truth.

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 12:19 AM »

Been having those you tube problems for a year, usually only during prime time though. My ISP says it's a problem on my side and that my router isn't working although I can stream high def video from one computer to another fine. I've seen it take me 20 minutes to get a 4 minute low res you tube video, oddly the High Def's often work when low res won't.

I've also noticed Vimeo often comes through fine when I can't get a you tube vid.

I think it's either ISP throttling or Google really needs to update their you tube servers since I can stream two different netflix movies to two different receivers at the same time even during prime time over my wifi with no drops.

(hopefully the google bots pick up on this thread because once a vid buffers twice they usually lose my eyes for the rest of the night   Wink  )

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Flying High

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 01:21 AM »

Hello everyone,

I work in this field, your basic internet conection speed for ADSL 2 or high should be 12mbs per second - standard connection. If you have the latest connection with fibre you would expect 40 - 110mbs per second. A connection of only 3 would suggest that the provider has to many customers and not enough bandwidth.
jaydub

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 09:21 AM »

Try loading Download Helper as an add on to Firefox.  Download the vid and play it.  Problem solved. Wink

Or at least, that's the way I get around the problem.
(Other download add ons are available for youtube, but DH lets you download from other video sources as well.)
Kitelife
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 10:22 AM »

If you're not a Firefox fan, you can also go this route...

http://keepvid.com/

Works great for me (as does the other Firefox addon), can download any available resolution of video. Wink

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 01:30 PM »

I've been almost exclusively using the software from Freemake to download Videos after trying many different paid & free programs. It will automatically convert the video you're downloading to whatever format you prefer so you can view it on your computer, phone, game system, MP3 player or tablet so take those tutorials to the field with you, it converts videos you've already downloaded or created too. It supports downloading from 10,000+ different sites, including TV episodes in over 200 different input formats. You can resize, edit, join, crop, rotate (for those of us who forgot you can't shoot video in portrait mode). Even use it to burn directly to DVD or Blueray during download or after editing. It also rips DVD & Blueray disks. Or use it to download or rip just the audio track from a video. It'll even upload your videos & pictures to You Tube when your done.

It too has an add on toolbar that works on all the major browsers if you choose to install it, but it is not forced on you if you prefer not to be tracked. And the best thing - IT"S FREE - and in a year of using it I haven't seen an advertisement and the only nags are the monthly reminders that there is an updated version available, Decembers added HTML5 output for you developers.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 01:40 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change