GWTW Forum
November 24, 2014, 01:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help with a compound Cody  (Read 2103 times)
donaldrke
Trade Count: (+10)

« on: January 08, 2012, 06:18 PM »

I have a Compound Cody that I got in a trade, Made in England, I have attached a pic of what it looks like and I am having problems getting the bridle set does anyone have some lengths for the bridle.

Thanks Donald
Got Wind? kite club

« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 06:21 PM by donaldrke » Logged

Member of Got Wind?
Donald
indigo_wolf

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 07:03 PM »

Plans and bridle specs for a Compound Cody can be found here:
http://mysite.verizon.net/jmaxworthy/codyplan.htm

You might have to adjust length is the actual size of the kites differ, but at least a place to start.

ATB,
Sam
Fore Check
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 03:33 AM »

Typically on this style of kite, the most important things are:

1)  Make sure your top and lower legs are long enough so that they don't pull "inward" because the V they create is too small

2) Set the angle of attack so that the lower legs are engaged enough to be useful when launching the kite, and when the kite rises and assumes its flying attitude/position, the rear legs are more-or-less slack and the kite is flying from the front legs.

If the kite is not tuned well and is wandering, leaning, or setting off to the side of the wind window, the first things to address are the tension and setup of the kite itself.  Make sure all sails are tensioned evenly, the tail planes are properly braced so that they're not wiggling around causing an unwanted rudder effect, and the setup of the kite appears to be very symmetrical and stabilized.  If things *look* ok, and it still isn't to your liking, try tweaking the center position of the top bridle a bit.  If that has no effect, go back to the setup and balance of the kite. Try adjusting the tension or bracing, particularly on the tail end.
boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 08:30 PM »

Just noticed this and wanted to add a thought.
You don't always have to have the rear of the kite attached to the bridle.  With the right winds a forward attachment will work just fine.
A few year ago at WSIKF I left my bridle to my Ichiban in my car and had it all setup to fly and realized I had no bridle.  I whipped off around twentyfive feet of 200 pound line and cut it loose.  I added a large loop to each end and attached them to my bridle point at the front of my kite.  Let it take to the air and found the middle of the line and the balance point with equal pull right to left, added another loop and attached it to my flying line and let it take to the air.

whidbey ichibans3 by Ken McNeill, on Flickr
My kite is the one on the left, the Ichiban on the right has the standard bridle.  You can see my bridle only has a front attachment and is flying just fine.   The back of the kite is just floating.
Ken always told me that in the right wind, you would not need to attach to the rear bridle area.  I've also done this with a compound Cody.  I have a custom Cody that dances side to side, I tossed it's bridle and did the front attachment and it flies just fine now.
Try letting the rear just float.  From the looks of your kite, it should do just fine.
donaldrke

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 06:56 PM »

I appreciate all the input. Found the problem, I got this kite in on a trade, and was excited about getting it in the sky, figuring it was close to setup, well after several attempt of flight, and always off to the left. and with the information that everyone supplied. the problem was whom ever had it in its previous life the bridle was put on sideways. straighten out and have it in the bag ready to fly. , So thanks for all the help. glad I have all of the good people on here.

Thanks
Donald

Member of Got Wind?
Donald
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum