GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 01:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bad wind...*  (Read 2236 times)
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: January 09, 2012, 05:47 AM »

Yeah Yeah, I know 'cheap shot'... even 'potty humor' if you must.... But remember, you clicked on it....

Just felt the need to unload (turn of phrase, try not to have your mind in the gutter all the time ), no I'm not in the middle of a cyclone/hurricane, but really, the wind locally has be a might 'challenging' of late Embarrassed, wind charts here have looked like a map of the Himalayas. Its just up/down/up/down, I get sea sick just looking at them....
The Plain trees outside my window have been hissing at 20knots+ for what feels like months.

In the last 3 weeks, if you'd been available to fly whenever it went 'good', I swear, you'd have got a hour in at most, it's been that bad... and the 3 months before weren't much better.

I know, I know...."So, what do you want us to do about it?...." Nothing, it's ok.

Just needed to vent....

(Anyone noticed themselves getting a little 'shirty' if you don't get your flyin' fix?)

Thanks for listening/reading Wink

If you need to unload on the wind, feel free to join in, and if, by chance your weather is really doing it for you, hey why not jump in and rub my face in it  Wink

Regards,

WD

[*Symptom of a wind staved kitefiend]

WinterDaze AoF
obijuankenobe

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 06:40 AM »

I almost move to Brisbane at one point in 2008.

Whenever you post, I always default to this image of an endless beach (where I was going to live and fly daily)...then I remind myself that it is likely that not all of Australia is a kiter's paradise lined with beach.

I feel you...and then some.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 06:53 AM »

I know what you mean, it's been exactly the same here on the other side of the planet!!...must be a Global conspiricy! Huh

More worryingly, I got out for an hour this morning ( still pretty breezy) and something horrible has happened to my yoyo's! I'd just about got them last year but today they roll up and almost instantly roll over in a sort of lateral roll before heading for earth! 3 different kites and 2 linesets so it's the operator not the equipment...I can only hope it's bad winds and lack of practise....  Cry

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Dano
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 08:33 AM »

I need at least a few hours every weekend for mental and physical therapy.

Almost the other way for me though..
seems like 2 months of nothing but almost 0 wind, but i'm out there working it.
Last week i was so happy to have about an hour of great flying with my full-vent Rev.
But yesterday, i was experiencing axomaxoaoxa (or whatever its called :>)) with my InnerSpace for about 3 hours with nothing but 0-2 again.

I am grateful just to be out for a few hours in the park w\ sun in my face w\ good, or bad winds.   
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 02:59 PM »

SA has been the same, mate  Sad  We share your pain!! 

I've had my Solus out for 10 unsatisfactory minutes in 2 months, and neither of my B-series Pros have been out of the bag yet - sigh!

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
coogee

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 08:45 PM »

Winterdaze,
Ahh the old how bad is this weather conversation! Geez mate it is beautiful here, light SE on the local beach last night. Just got back from a week at Hervey Bay sailing, good steady trade wind SE to E 10 to 15 most days and a couple 15 to 20. So take heart young fella me lad a fair wind will blow soon. Maybe a little midnight naked dance around the Hills Hoist, usually brings nice weather. Make sure the neighbours can not see you, explanations to the police invariably sound a little lame.
       Wishing you good breezes Mike
WinterDaze

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 09:28 PM »

Sadly it'll have to be their Hills hoist I dance around, and what with the drumming and all, chances of me not being noticed are slim.

And no your descriptive piece did nothing to assuage my ire at the so called weather Wink

WinterDaze AoF
WinterDaze

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 04:53 AM »

Map of my future chances [time sensitive Wink] Flagrant disregard for the rules: moderators, intervene if required  Cool

Things are looking up, almost too strangely the weather pattern has gone and decided to shape up?!?

things are looking good Smiley

I'm back Wink
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 04:58 AM by WinterDaze » Logged

WinterDaze AoF
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 09:23 AM »

I think, given the right wind, you may develop a 24 hour flu that would prevent any sort of work.  I find flying much better than either rest or medicine at recovering from this sort of thing!  Smiley

6 kite tom
WinterDaze

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 02:43 PM »

Just got to get through the next 24hrs.

Tom, jeepers you're good, just how you knew about my impending illness, the one that doesn't even have symptom yet  Huh Spooky... very spooky indeed

Cool

WinterDaze AoF
coogee

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 07:49 PM »

So the little dance around the Hills Hoist worked, told ya!
                  Mike
steve.hobart
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 11:51 PM »

Move to Tassie guys, wind here have been nice (sea breezes into the evening), though during the day it has been less desireable. Mind you I have been flying standards all the time when usually the sul gets a good workout this time of year...
WinterDaze

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 04:05 AM »

Mike, as a Freestyle flyer it's the most attention I've received being involved in a 'kite related activity' well that's what I called it during the interview process...

Steve, how comfy is your couch, my parole officer thinks it might be a good idea to get out of the neighborhood for a little while, just till the fuss dies down Wink

WinterDaze AoF
mrcorbs

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 01:01 PM »

I feel your pain....flying this summer was not even enjoyable because it felt like I was a mile from the sun with 80+ days in a row of 100+ degree weather. Fall was soggy and waaaaay too windy to fly(not to mention I had a few repairs to make). In the last couple of weeks I was finally able to get some quality time in the air. Today I just got my new Zephyr in the mail and the wind is blowing out of the north at 35 mph!!! Tomorrow will be the same....Friday the winds will be light and sweet but I DONT WANT TO WAIT UNTIL FRIDAY!!!!! Sunday, there is a kite gathering about 45 minutes from my house and I'm praying that the wind stays nice. This will be my fist time out flying with others.....Im keeping my fingers crossed.

I walked backwards 3 miles yesterday...
Adamld13
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 11:40 PM »

Yes pleeeease! ....let me rant!
The wind in Calgary Alberta for the past few months has been absolute garbage!
Hard to find anything other than gusty 30+ km. I personally would rather do other things than try and sprint downfield full tilt while I try and not let my kite explode......Does anyone find this kind of flying fun?
If so...im impressed......

*ahhhhh*....whining does help..... Grin
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 11:43 PM by Adamld13 » Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change