GWTW Forum
September 14, 2014, 07:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Attaching leader lines  (Read 1579 times)
JeffD
Trade Count: (0)

« on: May 07, 2009, 03:03 AM »

Haven't gone through all my kites but I've found I prefer leader lines on the individual kite rather than the lines.

What works nice I believe is to remove the pigtail and use a double sheet bend knot to attach the line where the pigtail went.

Removes the usually doubled over pigtail line and its big knot. Cleaner application.

You can search animated knots. Double sb can be moved but won't slip.

I fold kite as normal but have the leaders come out the top or side and wrap them around kite.

Twist the kite while putting it into the bag and its no problem. Goes in, comes out, unwraps just fine.
DaveH
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 07:26 AM »

I also prefer individual leaders for each kite.  Nice tip. I'll give it a try Wink
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 07:27 AM by DaveH » Logged
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 10:57 AM »

What is the weight of your 'leader line' ?

I assumed the leader line is the same as 'bridle line'.

Is there any advantage to use the 'leader line' ? Less wear on the LE/TE ? Less wear on the flying lines ?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 12:48 PM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 01:30 PM »

Is there any advantage to use the 'leader line' ? Less wear on the LE/TE ? Less wear on the flying lines ?

Exactly and a couple of other benifits I've heard.

Some people feel the heavier line falls out of the way quicker giving less chance of tip wraps.

Some of us vision impaired folks find the heavier and bright colored line easier to see at a distance for unwrapping those tip wraps that didn't happen because we had the heavier line  Embarrassed  no really it's much easier to see what your lines are doing near the kite at a distance

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
kiten00b
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 01:37 PM »

flying line is thin and can act like a knife edge against your sail
leader line is thicker and is more U-shaped than V-shaped when pressing against the sail
it's often stiffer than flying lines and doesn't auto-tangle around snag points on your kite
UPNET
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 09:53 AM »

How long do you make the leader lines?? Have a picture of it?

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Voltaire
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 11:05 AM »

I think Steve cut mine at 4 foot, enough for a single roll up. Just tie a loop on the kite end the same as on your flying lines, at the other end a single French knot, that's just a half hitch that you loop through twice to add more bulk to connect your flying lines to.

If your ordering anything from GWTW ask Steve to send you a set, he usually has a few color choices in stock & even a couple weights if you need lighter ones. Plus it gives him a break from taping boxes for a few minutes too.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document