GWTW Forum
December 22, 2014, 01:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thinking about replacing my old Dell Hell 2005 Media Edition puta?  (Read 2653 times)
Sketch
Trade Count: (0)

« on: January 10, 2012, 12:04 PM »

Getting the bug to replace this old DELL-HELL   Dimension Media Edition E310 XPwindows infested computer that seems to alway and forever  constantly showing that little logo display informing me that
" Your system is low on virtual memory"
Looks like I could use  a new computer with at least 8 Ramalinkadingdongzzzzz and a hard drive of at least a full 1 Gittity-Jiggitys? (Pictures...and my wife would like it for downloading music.) (not much into gaming however?)
Office Depot has a special an HP Pavillion windows 7 1148P for $549.?

Any better bang for the buck...in that price range?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 07:44 AM by Sketch » Logged
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 06:50 PM »

Same as a kite, what do you want to do with it? Pictures, music, gaming, surfing? Hard to argue with more ram and more hard drive space, will you use it?
with those questions answered I will buy what my wallet allows with the though that I will not buy another for awhile.
Ymmv

Sine Metu!
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 08:34 PM »

That deal looks good, 4x what you need, at half the cost, and in another 6 years you can do the deal again.

Remember to find a group in your area that supplies computers free to people that cant afford, one....

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 04:08 AM »

I have 2 old Pentium ?? machines that I was going to take to the dump. Would they be useful to somebody if I scrub them? And what kind of organizations would be interested? (sorry about the hijack but just wondering...)

Bob D.
kiteking

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 11:53 AM »

here is one  example

But check locally with outreach groups.. I used to take old machines and refurb for a local woman/children shelter

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Sketch

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 07:46 AM »

That deal looks good, 4x what you need, at half the cost, and in another 6 years you can do the deal again.

Remember to find a group in your area that supplies computers free to people that cant afford, one....

Thanks Mike..N gang.
The more I look into  shopping for puters...the more confused both my wife and I become?
Every saleman has A DIFFERENT SALES PITCH AND STORY Roll Eyes
Bottom line:
Just wish Carol and I could spend that money on a badly needed trip to the beach for a week end instead.
Sketch

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 02:48 PM »

I finally brought a new Gateway DX4860-UB33P and after a virtually none stop wave of problems too many to mention here

(one question)
ON EVERY PHOTO ON ONE FILE FILE HAS THIS LITTLE GOLD KEY LOCK ATTACHED TO ALL  THE PHOTOS?'
Now after trying to use photos on this file for a background desktop image the SIZE IS HUGE??? (with only portion of the photo streeeetched

GADS WINDOWS 7 SUCKS REALLY BIG TIME SO FAR!!!!!
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 03:13 PM »

sketch i am pretty certain that someone else here on the forum brought up those gold lock icons in the last few months......

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 05:30 PM »

Sketch brought up the green & blue check boxes placed by Nortons a few months ago. Mike (Zippy) used his google fu to solve that problem, works for this one too. It's a permissions problem and there is no one simple answer to cure it. In short a padlock means that you have a private item in a non-private directory so you have to go play with the permissions, good luck with that.

I don't care much for Win7 either, even after using it for 2+ years. Too much control has been taken away from the user with the "dumbing down" of the system. Maybe this new stuff is more secure but when it's so secure that I can't even access my own files I think they've gone too far. And Libraries? I would like to know where my files are, really. I often just backup My Desktop & the My Documents folder but those don't seem to actually exist anymore in Win7, sure there are 7 or 8 of them listed but they are just links that point to that secret place where your files are now securely locked away.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 05:36 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 04:37 AM »

<RANT>
I thought computers were supposed to get easier to use. That was the promise back in the late 80s when I first started using Windows 3.1. MS Office, Win7, new ways for the computer to do the same old stuff but it's definitely not easier. NOTHING'S easier if you're working with software - it's just different. (Actually, Excel did eventually become an improvement over Lotus 1-2-3.) Don't get me started on SQL Server and .Net. I never was able to figure out the conflicts between my firewall and the server.
</RANT>

Bob D.
kiteking

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 09:03 AM »

There was a saying years ago, "if Microsoft build roads, each time they re-striped the pavement, you would need to get a new car"

Win7 does need some getting used to.

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 02:46 PM »

There was a saying years ago, "if Microsoft build roads, each time they re-striped the pavement, you would need to get a new car"

I used to use my computer to earn a living and was on that sucker for eighteen hours a day at times. I spent years refining my collection of software-- I knew that stuff inside-out and backwards. It did everything I wanted/needed. My last XP machine bit the dust and I had to jump to Vista. I hadn't done a lot of research on it (I was way behind the loop by that time), so I was devastated to find that very little of my software would run on this new platform. I had to either buy several thousand dollars worth of current versions or do without. Really scary was that the damned thing wouldn't even read fourteen years of CDs full of past jobs I'd done, images I'd taken and/or created, etc. (fixed that later).

I couldn't afford buying all new software, so I did without a lot of it. Even more devastating to my work flow was the fact that none of the old Win3.1 stuff (like font management utilities) was ever going to run again. Oh man, I was crushed. I'd really relied on it. Silly little things, but they worked great. The one I missed the most had nothing to do with work, except in preserving my sanity. JezzBall.  I played it during thinking time, played it obsessively while waiting for downloads (don't have to do much of that anymore) or watching TV... or whatever. I couldn't find an XP machine anywhere until I happened to check out a closeout on one of those little 10-inch ASUS E-machines. XP and JezzBall are mine once more!

I *hate* what they've done to us with Vista, then Windows7. Despicable is what it is and I'm glad to finally spew (lol). Thanks!

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 11:06 PM »

Whew! I was on a roll, eh? lol

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum