GWTW Forum
September 18, 2014, 06:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Quad Flyer Leading Edge Questions  (Read 1414 times)
Marsman
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: January 15, 2012, 08:12 AM »

Hi Folks:
I have just started flying Revolution kites. I purchase a Revolution SLE.  It looks like it came with the heavy 7/16? leading edge-which is working fine. However, I wanted to find something for lighter wind. I have been trying to understand what I need to go get to fly in a lighter wind range.  Should I get a 2 wrap, 3 wrap or race rod?
Can I just change out the leading edge or do I need to swap out the spars also?
Thanks for any feedback to educate me on this. 
J
mikeb
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 09:08 AM »

Any of those 1/4" rods you mentioned would work just fine or you could even mix and match the 3 piece leading edge. ie. race rod center with 3 wrap outsides or any combo you want to try, but a center 2 or 3wrap rod and 2 outside 2 or 3wraps is all you really need to change the leading edge.
Jim Foster
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 10:38 AM »

We use a two wrap frame/standard or SUL sail for light winds, a three wrap frame/standard sail for medium winds and in strong winds three wrap frame/vented sail.  In very strong winds we add a two wrap leading edge in with the three wrap leading edge.  If the wind is too strong for that, it's "Miller Time".

Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun
boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 11:02 AM »

The Rev forum at the Revolution website also will lots of good education on this.
They are not a competitor of GWTW so it's okay to refer to them here.
Everything posted here so far looks right one.  The Rev Forum will have lots more folks that fly Revs and will have more resources on flying Revs.
Welcome to the Dark Side!!!!
goestoeleven
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 07:21 PM »

Welcome to the dark side.  The vertical spars are probably 3 wrap as well, so there's no need to replace them.  As far as which spars to get, I'd go with a 3 wrap leading edge first.  If you're like me . . . . this won't be your first Rev.  You'll pick up a set of 2 wraps when you buy your SUL, and maybe 4 wraps when you get your vented . . . .  Cheesy
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 04:17 AM »

Sure the SLE is a nice kite to start out with but wait until you try the B Series! I have a mid vent B Series with race rods that will launch and stay up in about 6-7 mph wind and it will fly up to the low teens. I like to fly it when it's looking too marginal for the duals and I don't feel like taking out a vented dual.

If you're like me, you'll start to wonder how other kites fly. I also have a Rev 1 standard and vented that are nice to fly but you can't go wrong with a B Series. The B Series is a SMOOTH flier!

Bob D.
Marsman
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 08:02 AM »

Thanks everyone for the information.  I have been flying dual lines for a while and was somewhat confused about the leading edge types.  It took my three times out to figure out how to fly my new rev. I was having a lot of trouble with the transition from 2 to 4 lines.  I almost gave up !!My reactions were all missed up with respect to pushing the handles, and I was overreacting.  On the lines, pushing reacts differently on the revs than on the dual lines.  After thinking about, I realized what I needed to do was fly with the bottoms of the  revs handles and not the tops. In other words, instead of pushing the top of the rev handle to go a direction, I now concentrate on pulling the bottom of the rev handle. For me, this  allowed me to use all of my 2 line training!.  When I tried this concept I immediately started to fly the rev kite very well. Maybe this concept might help others with the transition. Anyways, thanks for the advice.
J
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document