GWTW Forum
August 01, 2014, 07:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Limited choice in South Africa  (Read 1754 times)
Rubberdog
Trade Count: (0)

« on: January 15, 2012, 11:54 AM »

Hey guys,

I'm a total novice looking to get into sport kites. Unfortunately here in SA the kite options are limited and I would prefer not to buy from overseas. We have a couple of local makes as well as some Eolo and HQ imported kites.

What I would like to ask is for some really basic info when buying a first kite such as what size would be best. What effect does size have on handling? Being in Cape Town we get a fair bit of wind: around 25km/h average in summer. The one kite I'm considering is the HQ Bebop (145x69cm) or a Eolo Rhumba (180x95cm).

Any other tips when buying a first kite would be highly appreciated.

Regards
Robert
Flying Fish
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 12:11 PM »

Hi, and welcome to the forum, and the wonderful world of kite-flying. If your choice is between the HQ Bebop and the Eolo Rhumba, I'd go for the Eolo. Although I haven't flown this kite, I do have a HQ Bebop, which is a rather twitchy kite due to its small size. The Rhumba, being arger, should be easier to handle for someone starting out.

However, if you do have the chance to get a kite with a wing span of 2m or a bit more, I'd go for that.

B-13
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 06:52 PM »

Hi Robert,

Welcome to the forum and to kite flying.
Can you tell us why buying overseas is a problem for you?Is it because of costs? The Bebop is a beginner kite with some rapidity that you will find very fun but is this the kind of flying style you are looking for?If yes then go for it Smiley
As Dromel stated, a larger wing span gives you some more control and that is what you need to learn now if you are completely new to dual line flying.

B

Proud Member of Kitelife.com #943 Smiley
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 04:32 AM »

I have to agree with the two previous posts... get a bigger kite. Both HQ and Eolo make larger kites in the 2-2.5 meter range. I don't have an Eolo stunt kite, but I do have a couple of thier parafoils, they're pretty good. Well made & a good value. I have an HQ Shadow, it's a nice light wind kite that's well made and pretty capable. I also have the Maestro that also seems to be well made, but I never flew it much so can't comment on how it flies, other than it's better than a little kite.
Good luck with your choice & have fun !

ko

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 09:50 AM »

Hello Robert and welcome, do you have some specs on the local kites? that would help us. also the very BEST way to decide is if you can get hold of local fliers and try or at least watch what they are doing and flying. this will give you a better idea of what you want too do with the kite,flying wise  Keep us up to date and Have fun KO
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 09:53 AM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
Rubberdog

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 04:51 AM »

Hi guys, thanks for your responses and welcoming me.

I haven’t researched buying over the ‘net but I suspect that the courier costs would be expensive. I would also like to support the local manufacturers if possible. B13 – with you being in Mauritius you probably use the internet regularly for your purchases?

Ok, so the consensus seems to be that for a novice bigger is better. Why then are most of the “beginners kites” in the 1.5m range? It makes sense that one doesn’t want something twitchy in the beginning. Being impatient I actually went and bought a Cape Kites “Rainbow”, a cheap locally made kite that measures 180cm x 90cm. I flew it on Sunday and it seemed pretty stable but I still managed to slam it into the ground breaking one of the leading edge spars. Fortunately I have found a source for reasonably priced carbon fiber tubing. In future I’ll also stick to flying on the beach until I’m more proficient. (I was flying on quite a hard surface when I crashed.)

From what I’ve seen I would have to spend around $100 to get a kite locally with a wingspan of over 2 meters. I’m going to stick with my el cheapo for now and see how I go. I must say I had no idea how big and how advanced kite flying has become. I see in another thread that there are a number of flying instruction type videos around, I must try and get one of these. As for learning from local flyers...  I suspect they’re pretty scarce in Cape Town. Kite boarding is very popular here, stunt kites not so much.

Rob
B-13

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 05:12 AM »

Rob, I actually took the plunge and bought my real first kite online. It was the Prism Hypnotist. Yes shipping to our region is a bit costly but it is worth it trust me.
Why larger, just because they are slow and learning with them is really easy. You will easily see your lines and understand how and why things got bad in case of failures.
The beginner kites are small just because of cost production. They are of the cheapest material (which is still same on bigger ones but in other brands, weight, etc..this is another story), some features carbon rods, not tappered or wrapped sometimes or even cheaper ones features fibre glass rods. Also they are twitchy but those who managed to control these beasts in their beginner's experience life will learn more rapidly and enjoy better kites.
Any link we can check out the local models you can get?
I myself being the only one (till now never met another flyer) here, it is sometimes not easy to save to get those $$$ kites but you may look for some folks and take some kite together and pay only one shipping cost you may share. Just my thoughts here

Rubberdog

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 05:33 AM »

Thanks B-13.

If you have the time and don't mind have a look at these three local suppliers in South Africa : Hi Fly Kites (for Eolo) , Windsong Kites (for HQ and their own locally made Windsong Kites) and lastly Cape Kites ( their own designs and very limited.)

I like the look of the Windsong Viper - it has 2m wingspan and not too much $$$.
ko

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 03:50 PM »

the Viper looks nice but it sounds by the info that it is a light wind kite.low wind kites are generally built lighter therefore break easier. If you fly in light winds only this looks good I would talk too the builders and get there advice they seem friendly and dedicated

have fun kurt
B-13

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 08:30 PM »

Rob,
How about the Evolution? Looks like a good design and aspect ratio. This is also something you should consider if flying trick kites. if this is all you have as option Rob, i will save some $$ and get me another kite.
I know when you got this bug for kites and cannot wait a single day before putting your hands on one, but believe me, getting a good one from the beginning will save you more time and future expenses on upgrading steps.
After the Viper capabilities, you will watch some many tutorials on the internet and see some others video or read posts about tricks that would make you wanna try for yourself, this is when you will find your actual kite limited to some inputs or impossible to do with it. You will get another than the Viper right?? What then?? Why not wait and save some $$ and get the HQ Maestro or Jive? They are twice the price but twice the quality and flying performance too..(i guess as i never flew those, but seen them fly on some videos)

This is just my thoughts Rob and i just want to help you avoid those errors we all did in the beginning. Others can agree or disagree with me.

B

Hadge

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 02:18 AM »

Hi Rob,

I've just had a look at Windsongs site. If they have the old Blue HQ Jive in stock as shown on the site then I would highly recommend it to you ( The later Jive 2 which is either green or orange is also good but I prefer the old model).  I know it costs a lot more, but it's a great all round learner kite that can do almost all of the tricks and it comes with a good set of lines. Worth the investment in the long run.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Rubberdog

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 03:35 AM »

Oh boy, you guys are bad news. You know in Afrikaans we have an expression: “goedkoop is duurkoop” which means buying cheap is expensive! So yeah, I will look into getting the HQ Jive as my first proper kite.

In the meantime I am having fun with my cheap n cheerful Rainbow. I flew it on the beach yesterday evening in ideal conditions. I was excited to see another stunter flying about a km down the beach, so there are other guys flying here, I just need to meet them.

Thanks again for your advice.
B-13

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 03:51 AM »

Rob, Go and find them..it's great to have some flyers flying with than trying to learn all by yourself..
But go and meet them with the Jive in the bag Wink

Flying Fish
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 04:29 AM »

You know in Afrikaans we have an expression: “goedkoop is duurkoop”

Not just in Afrikaans ... I'm Dutch and this is also a good ol' Dutch expression. But it is true and I very much endorse the suggestion of a Jive. Yes, more expensive at the outset, but it will prevent you having to buy another one before too long.

Ultimately, if you're really infected with the kite bug, you'll end up with a number of kites anyway, as you'll want one for light winds, one for strong winds, a quad line for fun, etc, etc, etc. I started with one, and now have well over 60 ...

Rubberdog

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 03:28 AM »

Hello

Here's the conclusion to my story: so after receiving much advice and after loads of deliberation the decision was eventually taken out of my hands: my girlfriend surprised me with a Jive 2 for my birthday! (She bought it on Amazon.)

I've had a couple of sessions with it now and it is so sweet compared to my beginner kite - so light and responsive. I love the way it flies so slowly in light winds.

I am focusing on learining the side slide and snap stall before attempting any proper trick learning.

Thanks to all of you who replied to my thread.

Rob
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document