GWTW Forum
December 21, 2014, 04:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upside Down Line Setup  (Read 9044 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: May 07, 2009, 10:35 AM »

I have spoken to several Rev pilots who have said they fly their kites upside down more than with the LE above the logo.

If this is the case, why not attach the lines "inverted" so that the lines are not twisted when the kite is upside down? This would be the "normal" position for those pilots.

Open to comments here.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 10:37 AM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Dano
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 11:16 AM »

You're funny!  Cheesy
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 11:22 AM »

Not the comment I was looking for, but thanks. This was actually a real question. Heck, Revolution could even make some special kites with the logo upside down for those pilots, so the logo would read normally when the kite is inverted.  Smiley

indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 11:39 AM »

Heck, Revolution could even make some special kites with the logo upside down for those pilots, so the logo would read normally when the kite is inverted.  Smiley
Infinite circle logo.... that way kite orientation would be moot.  Cheesy

ATB,
Sam
melnsct
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 12:01 PM »

I talked to Ben <from Rev> once about putting the logo upside down.  He said it couldn't be done because the logo placement and orientation was part of the copyright.

Melanie in Tennessee
kiten00b
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 12:13 PM »

why not glue your gas pedal down on your car and use the brakes to control your speed?
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 12:44 PM »

why not glue your gas pedal down on your car and use the brakes to control your speed?

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

"Do what you like"
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 01:13 PM »

I talked to Ben <from Rev> once about putting the logo upside down.  He said it couldn't be done because the logo placement and orientation was part of the copyright.
wouldn't that mean that the masterpiece revs are then unlicensed copies that should not have been made nor sold?Huh? if the logo was part of the copyright........

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 03:22 PM »

kitenoob,

Your analogy would be more accurate if you said, "Why not reverse the linkage for your accelerator and brake so the pedals would be used in reversed sequence?"

Note that with the lines reversed as I suggested, there would still be a neutral position for the handles and kite. In your analogy, the kite would be fully powered up all the time and you merely apply brakes. That is not what I suggested.

But thanks, once again, for suggesting in your own special way, that my experiments and suggestions for Revs are to be met with laughter and/or disdain.

PS. Wait until you read my next suggestion for Revs. You'll have a hoot making fun of it.  Smiley

Dano

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 03:50 PM »

I've got an analogy for you then, John...

Because i did seriously think about your idea.  Wink

We've got our brains trained already how to invert the kite, the way  it is bridled now...

Try and reverse your feet and drive your car with left foot for gas and right foot for braking.

-Just make sure the intersections are clear when you try this. 
trust me Lips sealed

I was actually thinking about trying your idea until I remembered my experience with swapping my feet and trying to drive as a 16 y.o. kid.

indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 04:01 PM »

I've got an analogy for you then, John...

Because i did seriously think about your idea.  Wink

We've got our brains trained already how to invert the kite, the way  it is bridled now...

Try and reverse your feet and drive your car with left foot for gas and right foot for braking.

-Just make sure the intersections are clear when you try this. 
trust me Lips sealed

I was actually thinking about trying your idea until I remembered my experience with swapping my feet and trying to drive as a 16 y.o. kid.

Too much like driving a standard shift car in the UK/Ireland.   You are sitting on the right hand side, shifting with your left instead of your right hand, and in a lane you would be scolded for being in stateside.

Drive like this for the first 5-6 hours, stop at a rest stop and you pause to decided which hand to use to pick something off a shelf.   

Turnouts on mountain roads that require one car to back up until there is enough room to get by each other also tend to highlight your tourist status.

Screws with your zen.

Of course, if something requires quick response, there is a tendency to dive for the right (wrong) lane.  Huh

On the plus side.... very zippy cars with relatively small engines.  No lag carrying 3 adults and too much luggage even running a 1.8 engine.

ATB,
Sam
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 04:51 PM »

What's the big deal with the lines being twisted?

Allen, AKA kitehead
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 05:05 PM »

I didn't say it was a big deal. I just asked if people who fly their Revs mostly upside down would consider taking out the twist in the lines. I know that people who fly dog stake often reverse their hands, or so I've been told.

It would seem to cause less wear on the lines if the 1/2 twist was gone more of the time.

Let's not get in a rut here people. It's kind of sad in a way we are so locked in to one way of flying. I know when I try to fly a sport kite "wrong handed", I just lock up. It shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to get over this, maybe...... Roll Eyes

Dano

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 05:26 PM »

OK then,
I'll be the first to admit it.

I can't fly inverted as well as i can right side up.

If we were to bridle our Revs upside down, we'd probably switch and start flying them even more inverted (right side up)
ozonejim
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2009, 05:33 PM »

I have spoken to several Rev pilots who have said they fly their kites upside down more than with the LE above the logo.

If this is the case, why not attach the lines "inverted" so that the lines are not twisted when the kite is upside down? This would be the "normal" position for those pilots.

Open to comments here.

If I did that I would have to think  Undecided  If I have to think it's to late  Wink

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum